E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > XI Thrust arm bushing removal with ball joint press??

05-06-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
MIE91
Rep
Drives: '11 E91 6MT Xdrive

XI Thrust arm bushing removal with ball joint press??

About to install some powerflex bushes in my 328xi for the thrust arms. I had read somewhere this was possible with the arm still attached to the ball joint and with a typical ball joint press that is rented from an auto parts store.

Has anyone done this? Any tips? Even possible with a ball joint press?

thanks folks!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #2
MIE91
Rep

Just because I assume someone else out there has a similar question like me and would appreciate some info.

I was able to keep the arms on the car and swing them around to press the bushings out.
I purchased a bushing press from amazon, threaded rod with nuts and different cup sizes ~$120 kit. Actually worked pretty good, I would recommend using some heat on the control arm, really made the press work pretty quick. This job is actually a lot easier than I expected.

Bushings went in easy, I used the powerflex purple, along with new oem bolts and nuts.

Its hard to really gauge the difference with the poly over oem rubber. I would say I feel more of the road than before, about a 15% harsher ride, and no noise transmission, good solution for dd.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Thanks for the tip. Would you mind providing a link to the Amazon item?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
MIE91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
Thanks for the tip. Would you mind providing a link to the Amazon item?
I purchased this kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wouldn't recommend it however. I would try another or be ready to replace the threaded rod and nuts. Mine stripped out and deformed after one use, had to use the smaller size on the other and the same thing happened. The cups seem to be well made however. Use lots of grease on the threads and the bearing thrust washer is nice.
Appreciate 0