F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > HELP! Need a front to back open sunroof measurement...
GetBMWParts

05-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Bluemill
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i XDr, 2000 Corvette,

Garage List
2019 330i X Dr  [0.00]
HELP! Need a front to back open sunroof measurement...

Dear F30 sedan owners,

I recently bought a 2019 330i XDrive sedan for my wife, which I think is a hell of a car. It is not without some short comings. The biggy with my wife is that the sunroof opens 63% of the way. Before you respond with the fact that earlier BMW 3 series sunroofs would go back 2/3 of the way and stop, then you'd hit the button and it goes all the way, let me assure you this is not the case with the '19 330i. It just stops dead and won't go any further- with 8 1/2 inches of glass NOT retracted. Although it's a big beautiful pane of glass, 22.8" F to B, it looks stupid stopping as short as it does.

I've checked with the BMW Genius folks, and also my BMW Center, with my trusty Service Writer, Frank. They are telling me this is the way it is, not a programming issue, which was my hope. I have rationalized a few facts to help me accept the problem. First, it came standard with the car, while with our '14 328xi we paid $1250 for the option. Another angle is that it's a huge airy hunk of glass up there, and 98% of the the time the thing is closed. Also, the new unit includes with a power sunshade that is the first thing to move in the opening sequence. It really is a nice unit overall, but the wife is very disappointed, and she is not doing well healthwise, so I really wanted her to love this car, as it might be our last new ride.

I'd like to add another argument to the arsenal to have her feel better about it. Maybe even though the roof doesn't open all the way, it could still open as much or perhaps more than the F30 roof, front to back. If a couple of you 2012-2018 3 series sedan owners could open your roof and take a fully opened measurement, I would be very grateful. I'd measure from the leading edge of the glass to the front edge of the sheet metal of the roof hole.

Thank you for your help on this.

Best always,

Bluemill

The past BMW ownership: 2003 325 X drive sedan in Japanese Red, dark tan leather seats, black carpeting, sun roof, heated seats

2008 328 Xi sedan Barbera Red with Tan leather, sun roof, heated seats, winter package.

2014 Melbourne Red 328i X Drive, Venetian Beige sensatec, (great product), sun roof and heated seats.

2019 330i XDrive, Melbourne Red, Black Sensatec seats, heated seats and wheel. Standard equipment is impressive, but we did not get Nav., car does not include a CD player nor a 3.5 mm jack for a CD player input. Phones or tablet storage or streaming for elective music is the way now.
Appreciate 0