E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake binding smell and warm wheel

05-01-2019, 03:31 AM   #1
AdamMac
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

Brake binding smell and warm wheel

This is a strange on to me. I've done a search and can't really find the same problem.

I've noticed this week that there was a binding smell from the rear driver side wheel (right hand drive car) and the wheel was warm. I've had this issue numerous times on my wife's Vauxhall so quickly got the rear wheel off to investigate. The calliper and pads all looked fine and the slider moved back and forth with no problems. I scrapped some rust build up off and gave the whole thing a brush with the wire brush.

The wheel moved freely when turning the hub in both directions. The car will also move easily when pushed on a flat surface.

I'm still getting a brake smell and the wheel is warm but has eased. I've noticed the fuel consumption isn't great and the car does feel as if it's holding back slightly.

It has occurred to me that it is the hand brake shoes binding slightly, is this right?

I read about pulling the handbrake up while moving to clean off any build up. This morning I tried pulling the handbrake up while driving and it couldn't lock the rear wheels, yet holds perfectly on a steep slope.

Am I doing something wrong? Are my shoes binding and need replacing or do I need to just clean some crap off them?
Appreciate 0