BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum How do I Engage Automatic Parking?

04-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

How do I Engage Automatic Parking?

Okay I’ve read everything in the manual on this feature but I can’t figure out how to actually engage the feature. I press the button on the console and nothing happens except the camera comes up.What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
Okay I’ve read everything in the manual on this feature but I can’t figure out how to actually engage the feature. I press the button on the console and nothing happens except the camera comes up.What am I missing?
You have to press automatic parking box on the screen after you push the button on the center console
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Sounds like you don't have the Parking Assist Pro Package? Can you post a picture of the console when your car is in R position?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #4
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Sounds like you don't have the Parking Assist Pro Package? Can you post a picture of the console when your car is in R position?
I have the Parking Assistance Package which includes Parking Assistance Plus and Surround view with 3D view. A $700 option. Is this not what I need?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #5
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

It’s really not very intuitive. I didn’t use it until I owned the car for like a month.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
groove1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X740i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
I have the Parking Assistance Package which includes Parking Assistance Plus and Surround view with 3D view. A $700 option. Is this not what I need?
Looks like you have the feature to do it but I have not tried it yet either, so can't offer you any help. But I love the cameras. I am coming from an Escalade and the only way to turn on the surround cameras was to throw it in reverse but on the bmw you can hit the park button and get surround,3D view, car wash view& etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
Quote:
If it's anything like our G30 and F15, press the button then drive (parking lot speed). When you pass a space that your car would fit into you'll get an alert, brake, turn the turn signal towards the direction of the spot, and follow the directions on the iDrive screen.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #8
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

The parking assist system can be engaged two ways:

1. Put the transmission in reverse and the menu pops up but this requires a full stop.

2. Press the "Parking assist" button to the left of the shifter. then tap the "Park assist" checkbox on the screen (upper right). Drive slowly passed potential parking spots in the system will scan the spaces. Boxes will pop up on the screen when I space is adequate. Stop the car and tap one of the square buttons to indicate you want that space. You'll be alerted that the system will then park the car. Take your hands off the wheel and your foot off the break and that the car do the entire process. You don't even have to turn the blinker on or put it in reverse, the system does everything. It's a bit unnerving the first time because you have to trust the car to do everything.

This video shows both methods:

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #9
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

I have this feature in my other BMW and it's a cool novelty to show friends the first time you take them for a ride but the rest of the time you don't use it.

The way that the system recognizes that you actually want to parallel park requires you to engage the system way too far in advance, it takes like 2 or 3 full parking spaces going by your window for the system to gauge distance and to say "okay, he's not just driving slowly through town, he's trying to park".

In simple terms, when you suddenly see an open spot like most people do at 1 or 2 cars ahead there isn't enough engagement time for the system to help you. And equally frustrating, even when the system works and it finds the open space and is ready for you to take your hands off the wheel it makes you pull ahead unnaturally further forward which fools the cars behind you into thinking you aren't going to take the space. So they ride your rear bumper or take the space themselves.

Perhaps this is a great tool in a sleepy little rural town where you're one of the only cars on the street getting to your local post office. But for me in a very populous suburb of a major city, I can never use it. Too many cars around me for the system to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Well, for drivers who know how to parallel park it's an option they don't really need but for drivers scared to death to park a larger SAV, it's a very welcome feature. I tested it a few times and found that after activating it, I put on the turn signal to indicate which side of the road I'm looking for parking, then drive slowly past some open spots, it finds the first spot almost every time.
Appreciate 0