BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

08-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Where does this wire belong?

I took off my wheel today and found some wires ziptied to the suspension arm. I think it was done when my car was lowered and now I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my headlights auto-adjusting way high.

Here are two pictures, one up close. Between the two zip ties on the suspension arm, there is a black object sticking out and it's attached to a wire. Where's this supposed to go? Perhaps to a brake pad sensor or something as I do have BBK.

08-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I took off my wheel today and found some wires ziptied to the suspension arm. I think it was done when my car was lowered and now I'm wondering if this has anything to do with my headlights auto-adjusting way high.

Here are two pictures, one up close. Between the two zip ties on the suspension arm, there is a black object sticking out and it's attached to a wire. Where's this supposed to go? Perhaps to a brake pad sensor or something as I do have BBK.

This picture is of your brake pad sensor. It's apparently not used with your BBK. When I had a Stoptech BBK, the sensor fit the ST40 pads - apparently this doesn't work with your setup.

If your height adjuster isn't working on the headlights, that's a different sensor and wire. Look for a little rectangular box with a lever on it and a wire. At the front its on the driver's side. If they left the lever hooked up while they did suspension work they may have damaged it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
This picture is of your brake pad sensor. It's apparently not used with your BBK. When I had a Stoptech BBK, the sensor fit the ST40 pads - apparently this doesn't work with your setup.

If your height adjuster isn't working on the headlights, that's a different sensor and wire. Look for a little rectangular box with a lever on it and a wire. At the front its on the driver's side. If they left the lever hooked up while they did suspension work they may have damaged it.
Hmm, I have the ST40 on my rear setup so it should work then?

Thanks for the info on the headlights. I'll check it out.
      08-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, I have the ST40 on my rear setup so it should work then?

Thanks for the info on the headlights. I'll check it out.
Yes, there should be a notch in the top of the brake pad backing plate that the sensor clips into. The little point faces the rotor. You will need a little spring that holds it in - U-shaped bronze clip - the shop that did the work may still have it or it might still be stuck in the stock pad you took off. Without it the sensor will fall out.

There is the possibility that the wire's too short to reach - I'd be surprised, but that might be why they didn't hook it up.

As for the headlight height sensor, I think the rear sensor is on the driver's side as well (I had my rear wheels off today but forgot to look).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
badfish
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, there should be a notch in the top of the brake pad backing plate that the sensor clips into. The little point faces the rotor. You will need a little spring that holds it in - U-shaped bronze clip - the shop that did the work may still have it or it might still be stuck in the stock pad you took off. Without it the sensor will fall out.

There is the possibility that the wire's too short to reach - I'd be surprised, but that might be why they didn't hook it up.

As for the headlight height sensor, I think the rear sensor is on the driver's side as well (I had my rear wheels off today but forgot to look).
Crap, you are good. I think I found that clip on my old brakes. Is it this guy below? Wire looks plenty long, maybe I'll try it next time when my wheel is back off.

I took off the driver side wheel today and I think I found the box you were talking about. When the car was originally lowered, it had no problems. But I had to have the shop take the rear spring back out to put in the perches for the KW. That's when the headlights started aiming way high. I adjusted them back down.

Is this the box in question below? If so, what kind of damage is normally done? I didn't see any breaks in the wire and I don't know how to test the box. What other consequences does having this box not functioning have?

The driver side has clips for a brake pad sensor but the wire is not to be found anywhere. So I assume this sensor is passenger side only.

Thanks for your help, you really have good expertise in this.
      08-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Crap, you are good. I think I found that clip on my old brakes. Is it this guy below? Wire looks plenty long, maybe I'll try it next time when my wheel is back off.

I took off the driver side wheel today and I think I found the box you were talking about. When the car was originally lowered, it had no problems. But I had to have the shop take the rear spring back out to put in the perches for the KW. That's when the headlights started aiming way high. I adjusted them back down.

Is this the box in question below? If so, what kind of damage is normally done? I didn't see any breaks in the wire and I don't know how to test the box. What other consequences does having this box not functioning have?

The driver side has clips for a brake pad sensor but the wire is not to be found anywhere. So I assume this sensor is passenger side only.

Thanks for your help, you really have good expertise in this.
In order:

1. Yes, that's the spring. Slip it into the slot in the sensor then push the sensor into the slot in the backing plate until it snaps into place. You're done.

2. The sensors are on both sides at the front but only on the passenger side at the rear. Driver's side rear has no sensor (as you found).

3. The pix looks like your ride height sensor but I'll pop a rim off tomorrow and look again. I'm bleeding the brakes again anyway...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
3. The pix looks like your ride height sensor but I'll pop a rim off tomorrow and look again. I'm bleeding the brakes again anyway...
Bingo - the sensor at the rear is also on the driver's side and yes, it's what you have in the picture.

The usual failure from suspension work is breaking the lever off (ask me how I know) or over-extending the lever and breaking the insides. Erratic headlight aiming is the result of a broken sensor at one end or the other (ask me again, I dare you).
Appreciate 0