BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > crank hub fix part available in Europe

04-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
crank hub fix part available in Europe

Noticed that Litchfield posted the fix on their site

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/bmw...power-upgrades

There is also one marketed by Mosselman, here:

https://www.mosselmanturbo.com/en/cr...-bmw-m3-m4-f8x

Is there anybody else that offers a solution in Europe? Anybody done it?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Wow thanks for posting that, the link to their blog article is extremely interesting.

https://www.litchfieldmotors.com/blo...rank-hub-issue
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

How is the Litchfield crank bolt capture different than the Vargas one?

And wouldn't BMW engineer this $100-200 part if it worked after producing the s55 for 5+ years now?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub486 View Post

And wouldn't BMW engineer this $100-200 part if it worked after producing the s55 for 5+ years now?
But then they would be admitting there was a problem....
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How is the Litchfield crank bolt capture different than the Vargas one?

Not to mention it solves 1 of potentially 3 different ways it can spin... BUT I have yet to hear of a single car which has spun AFTER installing just the bolt capture. It's something I brought up in a thread and in an email with the vargas people who basically said it's better to be safe than sorry to do the whole thing, but after reading that blog post...

If someone spins it with the bolt capture installed it will finally rule that out as the final solution. Another guy somewhere in this forum had spun his 3 times before putting JUST the bolt capture on and it never happened again (that we know of). Until I see a bolt capture NOT solve the problem I won't go any further than that as a preventative measure.
The other question is what % of the failures result in engine damage vs simply limp mode. The dealer near me said almost always limp mode...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 03:19 AM   #6
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I am having Litchfield install their bolt capture on to my M2C on Thursday along with a Stage 1 remap and having an AA mid pipe fitted. Litchfield run their bolt capture on their own 600bhp M3 and haven't had any issues and I am happy with this solution.
StavsM2C119.00
      04-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #8
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
I am having Litchfield install their bolt capture on to my M2C on Thursday along with a Stage 1 remap and having an AA mid pipe fitted. Litchfield run their bolt capture on their own 600bhp M3 and haven't had any issues and I am happy with this solution.
I am gonna sit and wait how you and GreatWhiteM2 will showcase the strength of that solution. I am not 100% sure yet I will install it.

For now I am waiting what to do... I don't have any performance tuning yet, I might fit a AC Schnitzer Tuningbox for the sake of testing it and sharing my thoughts with you guys, but then at least I am under warranty.

Just not sure... Time will tell. First suspension and wheels, and then next steps. My project is taking longer than I initially thought, but I also decided to keep the car longer so I have enough time in 2020 to finish it all.

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #9
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Quote:
I am gonna sit and wait how you and GreatWhiteM2 will showcase the strength of that solution. I am not 100% sure yet I will install it.

For now I am waiting what to do... I don't have any performance tuning yet, I might fit a AC Schnitzer Tuningbox for the sake of testing it and sharing my thoughts with you guys, but then at least I am under warranty.

Just not sure... Time will tell. First suspension and wheels, and then next steps. My project is taking longer than I initially thought, but I also decided to keep the car longer so I have enough time in 2020 to finish it all.

MR
That's fair enough Marc.

I have the brakes and suspension done already and, after the track day yesterday at Bedford Autodrome, I could see what everyone is talking about with the lack of power at the top end. So, it makes sense to me to get a remap and the bolt capture at the same time as a bit of an insurance policy. I could have spent more like GreatWhiteM2 to get a new crank hub replacement, but I need to be mindful of cost.

One of the guys who works for Palmer Motorsports at The Autodrome said one of their M2 Comps lit on fire free one spun on track on to the grass. The OPFs got so hot and lit on fire as the car didn't pull away quick enough. He also said this has happened to a couple other M2 Comps that he knows of. Makes me happy to be switching to an AA mid pipe on Thursday considering I'll me doing more track days.
      04-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Big day tomorrow

Mine's in at a local shop on Friday for the Milltek DP back system to be fitted...

I'll run it standard for a bit and analyse the OPF errors first, then put on the BM3 CS map...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 05:40 AM   #11
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
Big day tomorrow

Mine's in at a local shop on Friday for the Milltek DP back system to be fitted...

I'll run it standard for a bit and analyse the OPF errors first, then put on the BM3 CS map...
I know

Insurance sorted for extra hp- cost an extra £80, which is reasonable. AA midpipe and spray painting the back box black.

We will have to arrange a meet up soon! Be good to hear the Milltek system. Track day at Bedford Autodrome on the 6th May Bank Holiday. I'll be going if it's dry. Fancy it?
      04-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #12
kyoshi
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Do i need to get this fix?

I own an M2 Comp - recently tuned by SA Tuning

482BHP and 719 NM

Wondering if I should get the crank hub fix?
Appreciate 1
StavsM2C119.00
      04-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #13
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I know

Insurance sorted for extra hp- cost an extra £80, which is reasonable. AA midpipe and spray painting the back box black.

We will have to arrange a meet up soon! Be good to hear the Milltek system. Track day at Bedford Autodrome on the 6th May Bank Holiday. I'll be going if it's dry. Fancy it?
Hmm that reminds me, i ought to call the insurance...

M2C-meet sounds good but I'm working sat 4th May so that's my wife-pass-out credits used up for that weekend...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshi View Post
I own an M2 Comp - recently tuned by SA Tuning

482BHP and 719 NM

Wondering if I should get the crank hub fix?
For peace of mind I would, but I am no expert. Your car might be fine for the rest of it's life without the fix, but that's the risk you take I guess with added power. Saying that, people's crank hubs have been seeing faults without any additional power.
      04-25-2019, 04:29 AM   #15
Big Fabri
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini Huracan

i was wondering what bmw does with the m4 gts. For what i know they don't change the engine rotation nor the cranck hub. and it had 550hp.
Appreciate 1
StavsM2C119.00
      04-25-2019, 05:18 AM   #16
Megator
Captain
Rep

Does anyone know what the Litchfield part 2 crank hub fix is?

From the blog/sales page it seems like they only have 1 solution, the crank hub bolt capture thingy. The "part 2" fix only seems to apply to engines which have already spun and where they simply replace OEM crank hub components for new OEM components to fix the car.

Anybody know any different?

As for the tuning can't wait till my M2C is out of warranty!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #17
kyoshi
Rep

Cheers

Quote:
For peace of mind I would, but I am no expert. Your car might be fine for the rest of it's life without the fix, but that's the risk you take I guess with added power. Saying that, people's crank hubs have been seeing faults without any additional power.

Understood- is all about the risk in anything we do with these cars!

Would be good to stay in touch tho you guys that have the M2 C in the UK.. Seems are a located close to each other too. Let me know if you get a meet set up would join ya's
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #18
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshi View Post
Quote:

Understood- is all about the risk in anything we do with these cars!

Would be good to stay in touch tho you guys that have the M2 C in the UK.. Seems are a located close to each other too. Let me know if you get a meet set up would join ya's
Sure thing. Where are you in the UK?
      04-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #19
kyoshi
Rep

northamptonshire

add me on Instagram - neil9bailey
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Marc,

You raise an interesting point - ACS 'gap' warranty supposedly kicks in if/when BMW warranty cover is denied due to presence of ACS parts.

As Karlos has said above already, spun crank hub is a known issue on S55's on stock power incl M2Comp's.

You might struggle to get either party - BMW or ACS - to admit culpability.

BMW saying ACS tuning box is sole cause & ACS saying that you will have known about s55 hub vulnerability on standard cars so choosing to add power without appropriate hardware may leave you up a sh!t creek w/o a paddle...…

my 2cents worth...BP
      04-26-2019, 08:44 AM   #21
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Marc,

You raise an interesting point - ACS 'gap' warranty supposedly kicks in if/when BMW warranty cover is denied due to presence of ACS parts.

As Karlos has said above already, spun crank hub is a known issue on S55's on stock power incl M2Comp's.

You might struggle to get either party - BMW or ACS - to admit culpability.

BMW saying ACS tuning box is sole cause & ACS saying that you will have known about s55 hub vulnerability on standard cars so choosing to add power without appropriate hardware may leave you up a sh!t creek w/o a paddle...…

my 2cents worth...BP
True, I completely agree with you!

MR
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fabri View Post
i was wondering what bmw does with the m4 gts. For what i know they don't change the engine rotation nor the cranck hub. and it had 550hp.
It's not a "power" thing, it's a resonance, over rev and in some cases uneven grip thing.

Of course more power can contribute to those things, they aren't mutually exclusive.
Appreciate 1