XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

04-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

Rear rotor job

So first time doing german car brakes. Was doing just the rears as the fronts appear to have some 10k miles left.

Problem 1: rotor was difficult to remove--the parking brake shoes were gripping the inner surface of the rotors. Was I supposed to relieve cable tension somehow? The parking brake lever was not activated.

Problem 2: I bought an aftermarket pad sensor. It seem like it was too big to fit in the slot on the pad. Eventually, part of it clipped in and the rest of the clip disintegrated. I also tried to carefully remove the stock sensor clip and it disintegrated too--brittle plastic.

Comments appreciated.
      04-19-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

1. Yes, depending on how tight they are adjusted. Some you can pull the bottom out and slip them over. Otherwise just pop the release under the parking brake boot.
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655621

2. Do you care about the brake sensor to warn you? If not just take the old one, tie the wires together, slap some heat shrink on it and forget about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

THANK YOU.

As for the sensor, I just wanted to keep the stock functionality as I may end up trading the X1 in for an Explorer ST next year.