Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need help:Planning to go from staggered run-flats to square non run-flat on my e90

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-13-2019, 01:07 AM   #1
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6spd

Need help:Planning to go from staggered run-flats to square non run-flat on my e90

Hi,

I have the staggered setup with the Bridgestone Driveguard Run Flat tires on my e90 330i . 225/40R18 in the front and 255/35R18 in the rear . These are the WORST tires i have ever used. I installed them brand new just 6 months back and had to change two tires in three months due to a sidewall tear. Now I have decided that I am done with this piece of crap and want to move on to non run-flats with square setup. Need suggestions and advice on how to go about it. Also have the following questions,

i) Is it okay to use the same size tire on all four wheels? If so, what should be the tire size?
ii) I am looking for the best all-season tire. What tire is recommended? And I need to carry a spare tire too, right? if so. what size?
iii) Do I need to make a suspension tune-up or modification to accomodate this square setup change?
iv) What are the other points I need to take care of?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

The first question you need to answer is what rim sizes do you have? Unless you plan on buying new rims also I'm not sure there is much of a benefit to going square (I'm assuming you have stock 8" wide front and 8.5" rear).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #3
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
The first question you need to answer is what rim sizes do you have? Unless you plan on buying new rims also I'm not sure there is much of a benefit to going square (I'm assuming you have stock 8" wide front and 8.5" rear).
I am not sure about the size of rim. How to find it?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #4
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have decided to stay with the staggered setup and swap run-flats with non run-flats. I want to do the All season tires.

Can I do the non run flat tires on the existing rims in the staggered set up?

Also I am thinking of either of the below,

i) MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (or)
ii) CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

Which tire would you suggest on my staggered setup? I live in upstate NY and the roads have lot of potholes and are bad as hell.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
tomgwuyn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A reputed tire shop near me recommended to have the 225/40R18 non run flats on all four rims without replacing the wheels since there is no big difference between 8' and 8.5' rims. Is this okay? So that I can have just one spare in my trunk always.
Appreciate 0