E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Smell of burnt oil in interior cabin

04-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
BMWE90fan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Smell of burnt oil in interior cabin

Quick question guys. I have a 2006 330i with 66K on the odometer. I keep getting this burning smell in the cab that comes and goes. Well today I was looking under the hood and noticed what looks like oil leaking from the valve cover. I just find it hard to believe its the valve cover gasket because I had it at the dealer about 10K miles ago to have new lifters put in; which in turn got a new valve cover gasket installed. I had the new HVA's installed to try and help with the lifter tick I was having. Anyways do you think the dealer is responsible here and if so do you think I should go back and complain. Also any ideas on the burning smell? thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Back passenger side corner of the valve cover gasket is dripping oil onto your exhaust. With the level of your leak, it takes a bit of time to build up enough oil to drip. Once it does, hit's the exhaust and you get the burning smell.
From that photo, the oil on the right side coming down the actual valve cover would indicate that either your ESS gasket is leaking or the sensor itself has gone bad and letting oil past, both very common. Having it at the dealer 10k ago, it would be a bit of a stretch to get them to take responsibility. I'm not saying they couldn't have seen the ESS issue and decided to put everything back together with the hope they could charge you again for the full repair when you bring it back, but it does look like a new gasket was installed for the valve cover. I would clean off all the oil you can and then keep an eye on it to see where the oil is originating.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
BMWE90fan
Captain
Rep

I had it at the dealer actually 11k ago I just looked. I just looked at the invoice. I had them replace the valve cover gaskets and install new bolts as well as the oil filter housing gasket that they said was leaking on a scale of 1-5; a 3. the oil filter housing gasket alone was a 600 dollar charge. I will examine further but Id think it wouild be pretty awful that either gasket would be leaking after 11k miles. So yeah since those gaskets are pretty new maybe it is the ESS gasket. Thanks for the advice on the smell.

Last edited by BMWE90fan; 04-07-2019 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
BMWE90fan
Captain
Rep

Just looked at he dealer invoice and looked up the part numbers on the valve cover gasket job. Turns out they replaced the eccentric shaft sensor gaskets as well. One of them looks like a round plug the other a gasket. How could any of these fairly fresh gaskets be leaking already. To replace these things is not cheap; how can they charge that much to get not even 10k miles out of it. Only reason I say less then 10k is because I been noticeing this smell long ago. Ughhhh just frustrated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
TGTIW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

I totally get your frustration and mind you these are only guesses on my part. I think you may be able to get a clearer idea of what's going on with a little investigation.

If you a mechanically inclined enough to pull off the plastic engine cover you'll be able to get a better view of what's leaking. It could be the ESS gasket or it could be the sensor itself. When they fail the oil actually pools up through the plug.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
BMWE90fan
Captain
Rep

Yeah I have had the cover off in the past and will investigate. It is actually going in this Friday to the dealer for a blower motor harness recall. I might ask them to check for an oil leak. If they say its the oil filter housing gasket or ESS or valve cover gasket then I will question them with how that's possible when they changed it less then 10K miles ago and see what they say. My frustration isn't so much the leak its the shelling out of over a grand to have it fixed and perhaps is not. If it comes to that I am gonna ask them if every 10k miles I have to pay to have this fixed and how that's justifiable? If its a failed sensor then ok I can live with paying for it but the gasket no. It does not trip any codes at all though. The car starts up as soon as u hit the start button and runs and idles beautifully. From what I read people were getting a CEL. Thanks so so much for ur input.

Last edited by BMWE90fan; 04-08-2019 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90fan View Post
Yeah I have had the cover off in the past and will investigate. It is actually going in this Friday to the dealer for a blower motor harness recall. I might ask them to check for an oil leak. If they say its the oil filter housing gasket or ESS or valve cover gasket then I will question them with how that's possible when they changed it less then 10K miles ago and see what they say. My frustration isn't so much the leak its the shelling out of over a grand to have it fixed and perhaps is not. If it comes to that I am gonna ask them if every 10k miles I have to pay to have this fixed and how that's justifiable? If its a failed sensor then ok I can live with paying for it but the gasket no. It does not trip any codes at all though. The car starts up as soon as u hit the start button and runs and idles beautifully. From what I read people were getting a CEL. Thanks so so much for ur input.
Per your picture, the oil leak appears to be directly under valvetronic motor. Its gasket tends to leak. Remove your engine cover and inspect. If there is oil around it, then that is your culprit.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536946

However, don't be surprised if gasket leaked after 10k. It could be a bad install job (gasket wasn't seated properly, bolts not tq properly, cracked valve cover). When I did it first time around, mine leaked within 3k miles as gasket wasn't seated properly. So, I had to do it again.

EDIT: Looking closer at your picture, there appears to be some oil seepage coming from top front part of the cover. Either someone spilled some oil while filling it, or your eccentric shaft sensor seal is leaking.

You should really take off your engine cover and see what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:24 PM   #8
BalkanAvenger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Yes. This is hilariously (and sadly) common as hell for BMWs.

Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Pan Gaskets
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
Rear Main Seal.

How do I know? I've replaced all 4, oil pan gasket looks like it's leaking a second time now - so that needs to be re-rectified.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 01:31 AM   #9
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalkanAvenger View Post
Yes. This is hilariously (and sadly) common as hell for BMWs.

Valve Cover Gaskets
Oil Pan Gaskets
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
Rear Main Seal.

How do I know? I've replaced all 4, oil pan gasket looks like it's leaking a second time now - so that needs to be re-rectified.
Did you replace the rear main seal yourself?
      04-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #10
BalkanAvenger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Did you replace the rear main seal yourself?
Valve cover myself, oil filter housing gasket myself.

Oil pan gasket mechanic, rear main seal mechanic.

I don't really have a safe stand and the oil pan and rear main seal jobs can be extremely messy.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
lfcoleman48
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i E92 Coupe

Same issue

About six months ago I was smelling burning oil through the vents in the car interior. I found out that it was the valve cover gasket like all of you are discussing. I just want to elaborate on the symptoms for anyone searching the forums. If the leak gets bad enough like mine did, you will also start to see some grey-ish smoke curl out of the hood. You might also start to see more white smoke come out of your tailpipe (not related to cold weather). This white smoke is from coolant getting into the fuel air mixture if you have an inner valve gasket failure. You will not get a warning for low oil because the leaks are so slow and your car holds so much oil. IMO this is a job best left for a mechanic unless you have disassembled most of your car's engine bay before. This is not the job to start learning how to take your car apart, as the gasket must be laid perfectly or you will be back to step one.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #12
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfcoleman48 View Post
You might also start to see more white smoke come out of your tailpipe (not related to cold weather). This white smoke is from coolant getting into the fuel air mixture if you have an inner valve gasket failure. You will not get a warning for low oil because the leaks are so slow and your car holds so much oil. IMO this is a job best left for a mechanic unless you have disassembled most of your car's engine bay before. This is not the job to start learning how to take your car apart, as the gasket must be laid perfectly or you will be back to step one.
This is where you lost me. Just no.

Coolant has nothing to do with valve cover. Head gasket yes, valve cover - NO!
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6021.50
      04-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #13
thatpolygon
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

I have had this issue on a 2007 MY N52, replaced a valve cover gasket only for the dripping to return. Turned out it was a whole valve cover. Replacing that seems to have fixed the problem.
      04-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #14
Blackbird
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 Graphite Metallic

Garage List
2007 E90  [0.00]
As I'm currently staring down the barrel of a valve cover gasket replacement for my 2007 E90 N54 (86k), I'll share what I've been told by two shops. As these engines age, the plastic valve cover warps (and the crank case vent valve gets gunked up). So, if you only replace the valve cover gasket, you could be back in the shop not long after to get the job redone because the gasket isn't seating right with the warped cover.

Both shops are quoting 8-9 hours for the labor, and US$540 for the cover (including gasket and PCV).

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #15
AWSB328iM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
As I'm currently staring down the barrel of a valve cover gasket replacement for my 2007 E90 N54 (86k), I'll share what I've been told by two shops. As these engines age, the plastic valve cover warps (and the crank case vent valve gets gunked up). So, if you only replace the valve cover gasket, you could be back in the shop not long after to get the job redone because the gasket isn't seating right with the warped cover.

Both shops are quoting 8-9 hours for the labor, and US$540 for the cover (including gasket and PCV).
Covers are $420 through FCP Euro and its around a 4 hour DIY job.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 09:52 PM   #16
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

if you had the lifters, valve cover gaskets/bolts replaced at a BMW dealer. there is a 2yr parts warranty(includes labor)unlimited mileage on OEM BMW parts. they should take care of the gasket repair, no cost to you.....
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #17
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
I would be very frustrated in your case and I would just take it back. 10k is too short time and distance for re-incidence. My wife has a F30, the valve cover leaked with 36k and 5 years... Warranty already gone, but BMW fixed for free because they know it is just ridiculous for the price.
If your dealer has any respect, he knows he must fix that soon... Nobody deserve a smelly bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #18
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
subbed...going through this exact same issue(s) with our '06 325xi. it's a low mileage car (only 39K) but i guess these gaskets dry out and crack over time. i'm somewhat handy and not afraid of getting dirty...but will likely bite the bullet and make a new friend out of my local indie tech.

if going through the expense of doing the gasket, is it better to just do the entire valve cover kit? anything else to replace (related or not) while this is being done?

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #19
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
subbed...going through this exact same issue(s) with our '06 325xi. it's a low mileage car (only 39K) but i guess these gaskets dry out and crack over time. i'm somewhat handy and not afraid of getting dirty...but will likely bite the bullet and make a new friend out of my local indie tech.

if going through the expense of doing the gasket, is it better to just do the entire valve cover kit? anything else to replace (related or not) while this is being done?
If you are even remotely handy, you can do it your self. There are plenty of good instructions available. The one I followed when doing the job was:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

Don't worry about the last step in the guide thou. You don't need software to reset anything.
Appreciate 2
happyjack1657.00
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #20
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post

metal valve cover then?

do the gaskets. It's not super hard.
have a hard look at the PCV stuff while you're there. You're probably gonna break some plastic hoses, so plan on that.
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00
      05-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #21
BMWE90fan
Captain
Rep

Just wanted to give an update guys. I had it in for the 3 recalls and asked them to inspect my oil leak. They told me it was a def the valve cover leak. I then asked them how after 10k miles it could be leaking after I paid them to do the VCG job. They told me it was 2.5 yrs ago the job was done and that maybe they didn't torque the bolts down rite or dirt got on it. I was like hmmmmmm....really! I do not put a lot of miles on the car so but it is driven a few times a week I told them. I said so I pay you 1300 again and if it leaks in 2 yrs then what? I put up a fight but to no avail I lost. Took it to my local indy shop where he diagnosed it as a slight leak at the valve cover but mainly leaking from the Eccentric shaft sensor; had oil in the plug. BTW when the dealer emailed me a online survey I trashed them very very very bad. The same day my indy shop starts on the job BMW dealer calls me and offers to do the the VCG job for free. Must of seen the review lol. I told them its to late my indy shop started on it and besides to change that sensor the cover had to come off anyways. Still I wasn't happy they missed main oil leak culprit after they said the looked at it very well. LOng story short they supplied the gasket kit and bolts to my indy shop. Saved me a few bucks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #22
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Just wanted to give an update guys. I had it in for the 3 recalls and asked them to inspect my oil leak. They told me it was a def the valve cover leak. I then asked them how after 10k miles it could be leaking after I paid them to do the VCG job. They told me it was 2.5 yrs ago the job was done and that maybe they didn't torque the bolts down rite or dirt got on it. I was like hmmmmmm....really! I do not put a lot of miles on the car so but it is driven a few times a week I told them. I said so I pay you 1300 again and if it leaks in 2 yrs then what? I put up a fight but to no avail I lost. Took it to my local indy shop where he diagnosed it as a slight leak at the valve cover but mainly leaking from the Eccentric shaft sensor; had oil in the plug. BTW when the dealer emailed me a online survey I trashed them very very very bad. The same day my indy shop starts on the job BMW dealer calls me and offers to do the the VCG job for free. Must of seen the review lol. I told them its to late my indy shop started on it and besides to change that sensor the cover had to come off anyways. Still I wasn't happy they missed main oil leak culprit after they said the looked at it very well. LOng story short they supplied the gasket kit and bolts to my indy shop. Saved me a few bucks
thanks for the update...and that sounds like every dealership i've ever known. to be fair, two years is a long time to expect a freebie, but they could have worked with you to keep you as a customer...in the long run, it's probably better that you've now got a relationship with an indie tech who's willing to help you out!

i'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get mine done now. my son is home from college and my daughter just got her driver's license last week. no extra cars in the garage any longer...and i want them running without issues for the kids...

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0