BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
gregtennis91
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Carplay & Wireless charging

Hi-
Few questions.
2018 X3M40

Are there any adapters to wireless charging that can be ordered aftermarket if the car wasn't ordered with that feature that you recommend?

Carplay. If not ordered on the 18' can it be added from a subscription perspective if you visit the dealer.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
Yes, AFAIK, car play can be added by the dealer. Amazon has several wireless charging products available for BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Carplay you can easily have Coded in.

Wireless pad Retrofit
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1598833
      04-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
SebastienC1
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 2019

I did what sroc3 did to retrofit the wireless charger and I love it, only took 20 mins to install and was cheap on AliExpress.. cant go wrong

Went to the dealer today and found that my charger was cery very similar to the OEM

Its 1/5 of the OEM charger ! ( $ )
Appreciate 1
SROC31702.00
      04-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastienC1 View Post
I did what sroc3 did to retrofit the wireless charger and I love it, only took 20 mins to install and was cheap on AliExpress.. cant go wrong

Went to the dealer today and found that my charger was cery very similar to the OEM

YES. But note that with the OEM charger you also get Enhanced bluetooth, an extra mic above the passenger seat, notification if you leave your phone on the pad when exiting vehicle and hotspot connectivity. Having said that - I was very happy with just having the charging pad
      04-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Quote:

YES. But note that with the OEM charger you also get Enhanced bluetooth, an extra mic above the passenger seat, notification if you leave your phone on the pad when exiting vehicle and hotspot connectivity. Having said that - I was very happy with just having the charging pad
And also an extra Wifi antenna on the back of the head unit, to enable CarPlay and WiFi hotspot.
Apparently CarPlay works anyway, but the phone needs to be very close to the head unit.
      04-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #7
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
And also an extra Wifi antenna on the back of the head unit, to enable CarPlay and WiFi hotspot.
Apparently CarPlay works anyway, but the phone needs to be very close to the head unit.
Not sure it needs to be very close -- I always leave my phone in my pocket and CarPlay picks it up just fine. I like that I can just get in the car and CarPlay picks up where it left off last time. Don't need to plug in the phone or even get it out of my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Quote:
Not sure it needs to be very close -- I always leave my phone in my pocket and CarPlay picks it up just fine. I like that I can just get in the car and CarPlay picks up where it left off last time. Don't need to plug in the phone or even get it out of my pocket.
That seems to be a difference in NA and EUR spec models, you get the WiFi antenna fitted as standard, we don't get it unless EB or CarPlay is specified
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtennis91 View Post
Hi-
Few questions.
2018 X3M40

Are there any adapters to wireless charging that can be ordered aftermarket if the car wasn't ordered with that feature that you recommend?

Carplay. If not ordered on the 18' can it be added from a subscription perspective if you visit the dealer.

Thanks!
You can ONLY purchase CarPlay later IF you purchase the correct hardware options now.

See my post in this thread for details and additional information and links.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1555889

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
Quote:

No, there are two WiFI related antennas. One to support CarPlay—and maybe other things—and one to support WiFi hot spot.

When wireless charging is ordered as a BMW option, I believe the car will beep or warn you if you forget the phone on the charge. Read that somewhere. Unfortunately, my X4 does not have the wireless charging. The M2 does but it doesn't beep? Hummm. Now I need to look into that again.

Last edited by omasou; 04-04-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0