E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Replacing A/C Condenser

03-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
Airjunky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Replacing A/C Condenser

A Body Shop poked a hole in my A/C Condenser and I have to replace it. I cannot find any Instructions/Write-Ups/Videos on how to do this. All the Videos I have seen on other Cars like the 5 Series and other brands show the Condenser easily coming out after removing a plate by the Hood Latch. I cannot figure out how to do this on my 2011 335is Convertible. It appears that I may have to remove the Fan/Radiator/Intercooler to get to the Condenser. Does anyone know of some instructions anywhere?

Thanks, Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

http://www.newtis.info

Also, the Bentley manual is a good investment.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airjunky View Post
A Body Shop poked a hole in my A/C Condenser and I have to replace it... I cannot figure out how to do this on my 2011 335is Convertible. It appears that I may have to remove the Fan/Radiator/Intercooler to get to the Condenser. Does anyone know of some instructions anywhere?
Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
relative4's tip is half-right.
Here's the TIS page that gets you started. See the other things you have to do to get to the condenser, like remove the radiator, and any "Necessary Preliminary Tasks" required to get the radiator out, like fan removal:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-lines/OeXEYdF

Bentley Manual is actually free in pdf format on Web (see E9x References attached), but in this case it's worth exactly what you paid, as it has NO procedures for working on refrigeration components, and NO explanation of how they work. TIS should give you most everything you need however. It seems that although you can still get R-134a in 12 oz cans, most people these days are afraid to open and recharge the system, don't have a vacuum pump, manifold gauges, etc. Make sure you know how much refrigeration oil to add & what type, when replacing the condenser. Each component replaced should have an oil amount to add. If you don't find that in TIS, let us know.

For monitoring the system after the repairs, be aware that if you have INPA, you can monitor Refrigerant Pressure (sensor in High Side line) and Evaporator temperature, all by just connecting to the OBD II Socket.

Hope the Body Shop is paying for the new condenser. For 2009 & later models, the receiver/dryer is no longer separate and is part of the condenser unit. Here are some different choices:
https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c...ser?s=d&page=1

Please let us know how it goes,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 295 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 04:34 AM   #4
Airjunky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Thanks!

Thank you for all the Links gbalthrop! That is extremely useful!

I'm going to have the system evacuated, change the Condenser myself, then have a Shop Re-Charge it to the proper Level.

Unfortunately, it looks like I have to remove the Radiator/Fan/Intercooler to get to it and I was hoping to avoid that

Thanks again!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #5
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

The fan and intercooler are super easy and quick to remove. The radiator's not hard either, but you probably don't need to pull it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
zackkcaz25
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by relative4 View Post

"Site Closed
This site is closed per demands of BMW AG.
BMW recommends the official and up-to-date BMW TIS which can be accessed at www.bmwtis.com*.

* However, we believe that BMW violates the right to repair by effectively locking out individual consumers from basic repair information through unreasonably high access fees.

Contact us via the feedback form below if you have any questions or concerns."

BOOOOOOOOOOOO
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:47 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackkcaz25 View Post
"Site Closed; This site is closed per demands of BMW AG."... BOOOOOOOOOOOO
If you have a Windows OS computer, ISTA has virtually ALL of the Repair Operations (Procedures), Wiring Diagrams, Functional Descriptions, Torque & Fluid Specs, etc. which were available on TIS/ NewTIS.info. You can search and read all the documents related to your specific vehicle WITHOUT being connected to your vehicle or the Web -- it's ALL on your HD.

PLUS, ISTA has Diagnostic Software, and if you get a BimmerGeeks K+DCAN cable for $45, the Download from MEGA (NOT MAGA ;-) is free.

Three months ago when BMW "persuaded" NewTIS.info to close, they also "persuaded" BimmerGeeks to remove the link it had on its "Downloads" page to the MEGA site where the ISTA Download is still available. If you do NOT have that MEGA site URL, send me a PM.

George
Appreciate 0