BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #1
JAD3BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X5 50, '04 911 Turbo

Extended Traffic Jam

So I am having a HUGE problem with a BMW dealership here in Houston. A) they didn’t activate half of my features in my ‘19 X5 50 M-Sport before delivery and B) they are claiming my extended traffic jam assist is activated. However, when I spoke with BNW NA “genius” he told me there should be options in the submenu on the instrument cluster after I activate the cruise control system. Basically after you activate the cruise, you can hit the “mode” button and select between just distance control, the more advanced cruise with lane assist etc, or the third option is the Extended Highway deal. When I click mode, only two show up on mine.

They also didn’t activate the night vision or Wi-Fi and scratched the door sill plate, and took a chunk out of my leather dashboard. . . To say I am frustrated with them is an understatement. All of this happened in service before I took delivery. Good thing I took pictures while still in the dealership showroom floor.

My question is, does anyone have this feature and if they do, can you please snap a picture of these three options showing in the instrument cluster? This way I can show them this picture for proof of how it is supposed to be, and they will stop arguing with me. This dealership’s service has been nothing but argument right and difficult to deal with. I will not be using them after I get my car back, but apparently only the dealership that sold the vehicle to me can activate the features they neglected to.

Also, if I am incorrect and there are only two options, please let me know so I can just go get my car and be done with it!

Thanks in advance for yalls help.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #2
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAD3BMW View Post
So I am having a HUGE problem with a BMW dealership here in Houston. A) they didn’t activate half of my features in my ‘19 X5 50 M-Sport before delivery and B) they are claiming my extended traffic jam assist is activated. However, when I spoke with BNW NA “genius” he told me there should be options in the submenu on the instrument cluster after I activate the cruise control system. Basically after you activate the cruise, you can hit the “mode” button and select between just distance control, the more advanced cruise with lane assist etc, or the third option is the Extended Highway deal. When I click mode, only two show up on mine.

They also didn’t activate the night vision or Wi-Fi and scratched the door sill plate, and took a chunk out of my leather dashboard. . . To say I am frustrated with them is an understatement. All of this happened in service before I took delivery. Good thing I took pictures while still in the dealership showroom floor.

My question is, does anyone have this feature and if they do, can you please snap a picture of these three options showing in the instrument cluster? This way I can show them this picture for proof of how it is supposed to be, and they will stop arguing with me. This dealership’s service has been nothing but argument right and difficult to deal with. I will not be using them after I get my car back, but apparently only the dealership that sold the vehicle to me can activate the features they neglected to.

Also, if I am incorrect and there are only two options, please let me know so I can just go get my car and be done with it!

I don't thinks there's such thing as dealer activation for extended traffic jam assist. Do you have Drive assist pro package or plus? If pro, from my experience when you are in situation that extended traffic jam assist can be used, it automatically gets activated and you see a warning on center screen from there you will see an additional mode if you click mode button. But it has specific criteria that the system detects i.e. you are in traffic jam going under 40mph in a well laned highway
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
JAD3BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X5 50, '04 911 Turbo

So this is new for 2019, and debuting on the X5. I do have the options, it’s how I ordered the vehicle. I double checked my VIN with BMW NA and they confirmed that it is installed on the vehicle. Specifically package ZDY, which is the Driving Assistance Professional Package with Extended Traffic Jam assistant for limited access highways. So, it was installed at the factory. I’ve never had that notification you are discussing pop up, or anything like that.

The BMW NA genius told me it had to be activated by the dealer. It comes on above 37mph.

If I had my manual/car I would dig around the manual but it’s st the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Sorry for all the issues!

But there are only 2 cruise control modes: 1) Distance control only and 2) Asssited Driving Mode. Regardless of whether you have the Pro or Plus package. All the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant does is allow you more time without having to touch the steering wheel. That’s it. It’s not a different mode so your “Genius” is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
If you don't know how it works don't complain about it not working
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Do you mind sharing which Houston dealership this was so that we can avoid?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Sorry for all the issues!

But there are only 2 cruise control modes: 1) Distance control only and 2) Asssited Driving Mode. Regardless of whether you have the Pro or Plus package. All the Extended Traffic Jam Assistant does is allow you more time without having to touch the steering wheel. That’s it. It’s not a different mode so your “Genius” is wrong.
Technically it is a 3rd mode! See this video at 2:36

[u2b]
[/u2b]
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

There is another thread that explains the order of operations to get the extended traffic jam assistance activated. I don't have time to dig now, bit I did quickly find the youtube video that shows what you are asking for:

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
The BMW NA genius told me it had to be activated by the dealer. It comes on above 37mph.
As mentioned by others, that information is incorrect. It does not have to be activated by the dealer and if the specific conditions are met, the Assisted Driving Plus (that is the name of it even though it is in the Pro package) option becomes available under 40mph. When the option shows, just hit the Mode button and it will be selected.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:

Sounds like you've had a rough go of it brother.

However, as the lumpster and others have pointed out, if you have the system on the vehicle, it's there and will give you the option if criteria are met. There are only certain roads that meet criteria and if the car detect you are in a jam on one of those designated roads, then you will get the signal!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #11
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I don’t think night vision is something they have to activate either?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #12
sumsuv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Week 45 build

It gets on with a button the left where fog lift switch is
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumsuv View Post
It gets on with a button the left where fog lift switch is
Yes, #5 below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #14
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
As mentioned by others, that information is incorrect. It does not have to be activated by the dealer and if the specific conditions are met, the Assisted Driving Plus (that is the name of it even though it is in the Pro package) option becomes available under 40mph. When the option shows, just hit the Mode button and it will be selected.
Has the option ever become available? I am yet to see the option activated for me. Although part of the reason could be that I haven't encountered the right condition for activation yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ven7782 View Post
Has the option ever become available? I am yet to see the option activated for me. Although part of the reason could be that I haven't encountered the right condition for activation yet.
Yes, it does work, I've personally used it about a dozen times so far.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #16
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven7782 View Post
Yes, I finally got to use it last Friday for the first time since I hadn't been in a traffic jam on the Interstate before. It happened on Friday on the way home from my daughter's and again on Saturday when I was out shopping. It worked very well. I was anxious to see how it would do with the car in front of me exiting and it stay right in the lane. Was hoping it wouldn't follow it and it worked well.
Appreciate 0