BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Tints: what are you getting away with?

03-19-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 50i

Tints: what are you getting away with?

Would love to tint my windows, but NY threw down some much tougher restrictions last year (to the point that I had to have tint removed from my car at the time, which I'd owned for years without incident, to get it to pass inspection). Anyone have any pointers on this? Would love to go dark as I'm able, but don't want headaches when it's time to reup my registration...

Thanks.
Otis
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

I typically do 25 in rear and 35 up front on most my cars. I figure if the fronts are noticeably lighter than the rears, maybe I won’t get stopped as much. The exception is if I have nice leather (sport mb white on red), then I like the look with minimal tint
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtisX7 View Post
Would love to tint my windows, but NY threw down some much tougher restrictions last year (to the point that I had to have tint removed from my car at the time, which I'd owned for years without incident, to get it to pass inspection). Anyone have any pointers on this? Would love to go dark as I'm able, but don't want headaches when it's time to reup my registration...

Thanks.
Otis
15% on fronts to match rear. In my experience the cops in my area could care less about how dark your tints are. If you look a drug dealer and you're being an a hole, I'm sure they'd nail you on it
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #4
DSM517
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30i (loaded)

Quote:

Thanks.
Otis
I was going to tint the windows on my 430i, but never did because of the new law in NY. I am having it inspected, along with the oil change, at BMW and first thing they asked was about my windows being tinted. I just didn't want to deal with the hassle of having to tint and then having to take them off for the inspection. I think now the only way to have tints on and pass the inspection is to have a medical exemption. Here is what the DMV says regarding tints: https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/tinted-windows

Last edited by DSM517; 03-19-2019 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE_DR View Post
Quote:

Thanks.
Otis
15% on fronts to match rear. In my experience the cops in my area could care less about how dark your tints are. If you look a drug dealer and you're being an a hole, I'm sure they'd nail you on it
I thought I remember the G05 owners were saying the rear tint matches a 30% tint. Should be the same on G07. Yes?
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #6
PIPE_DR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi,2014 x5, 2019 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Otis
I thought I remember the G05 owners were saying the rear tint matches a 30% tint. Should be the same on G07. Yes?
My tint guy put a meter on the rear windows right in front of me and was showing 18% from factory. So the choice was 15% or 20%. He recommended 15% to have the closest match with his product and I agreed, it's a great match and I can't see a difference. So I'm not sure about the G05.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
Otis
My tint guy put a meter on the rear windows right in front of me and was showing 18% from factory. So the choice was 15% or 20%. He recommended 15% to have the closest match with his product and I agreed, it's a great match and I can't see a difference. So I'm not sure about the G05.
Perfect info, thanks!
And road trip journal to Denali and the Arctic Circle here in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

Quote:

Thanks.
Otis

Im from NYC as well. The only way around it is

1- to have access to inspection stickers

2- to unregister your car every two years and get new plates

Your inspection sticker will not “match” your registration. But i doubt anyone will pick up on it

I have multiple collector vehicles that im not letting any random inspection shop touch 4 in total that i do this with.

Been lurking here for a while and thinking of getting an x7 for my wife and kids. The problem you are having made me join. Trying to help out. Hopefully this good deed does go unpunished
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      03-21-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
Fegelein
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:

Thanks.
Otis
Hey Otis,

You are on the Island and don't have a "guy" to pass you?! I have 35% all around and from what I recall, all tint is illegal now and won't pass inspection, unless you have a "guy".
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50
      03-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal man View Post

Your inspection sticker will not “match” your registration. But i doubt anyone will pick up on it

I have multiple collector vehicles that im not letting any random inspection shop touch 4 in total that i do this with.

Been lurking here for a while and thinking of getting an x7 for my wife and kids. The problem you are having made me join. Trying to help out. Hopefully this good deed does go unpunished

Wow — thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #11
OtisX7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fegelein View Post
Hey Otis,

You are on the Island and don't have a "guy" to pass you?! I have 35% all around and from what I recall, all tint is illegal now and won't pass inspection, unless you have a "guy".

I don’t have “a guy,” but heck, I’ll take a PM suggesting one!
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:06 AM   #12
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal man View Post

Not following the unregister! If you have a "guy", then he will look the other way and slap a new sticker on every year.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:07 AM   #13
Fegelein
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don’t have “a guy,” but heck, I’ll take a PM suggesting one!
Thanks.
Don't have one on the Island, only in northern Westchester.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #14
Metal man
Private
Rep
Drives: A few different ones

I have a guy that knows a guy. Car never shows up at any shop. Stickers could be knock offs for all i know. I have a service company turns in plates when registration expires. Pulls a new 2 year registration with new plates and then i put any non expired inspection sticker on.
Appreciate 1
Wild Blue3682.50