BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    UK exhaust upgrades - MOT issues?

03-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
M5 Comp
Registered
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

UK exhaust upgrades - MOT issues?

I ordered the performance exhaust for my F90 M5 Comp and was told it is not being sold for EU markets and would fail an MOT in the UK - presumably the same is for any exhaust modification increasing the exhaust noise.

Has anyone in the UK had an MOT yet with an F90 M5 exhaust upgrade? I see there are some people on this forum getting them fitted anyway.... any issues? Seems to have the same risk whether BMW or another brand used.

Just weighing up my next step.... thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5 Comp View Post
I ordered the performance exhaust for my F90 M5 Comp and was told it is not being sold for EU markets and would fail an MOT in the UK - presumably the same is for any exhaust modification increasing the exhaust noise.

Has anyone in the UK had an MOT yet with an F90 M5 exhaust upgrade? I see there are some people on this forum getting them fitted anyway.... any issues? Seems to have the same risk whether BMW or another brand used.

MOT is not due until the car is 3 years old so you don't have any issues with regards to that. If you are not deleting any cats/OPF's the car would pass MOT anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
Ever34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Quote:

MOT is not due until the car is 3 years old so you don't have any issues with regards to that. If you are not deleting any cats/OPF's the car would pass MOT anyway.
Well that settles that and from someone who would know. Hope you enjoy the MPE like I do
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:

The reason you cannot have the M Performance exhaust for your car, is not the MOT. Its the fact that your car has an Otto particulate filter, or petrol particulate filter to you. This will put the car into Limp Mode, or display a CEL, as it can detect a different back pressure from what i can gather, so is not offered to Competition owners at this point. You can use just a back box from AC Schnitzer or Remus, that appears to be fine. Im hoping for someone to come up with a fix for this, so at least we have a choice as to whether we buy an exhaust.
Lots of folks here can fit what exhaust they like because they dont run this filter set up, as i believe its just an EU thing, and this is mostly an American site ?.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:43 AM   #5
M5 Comp
Registered
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Thanks for the feedback. So to summarise, the M5C's OPF is currently not compatible with an M Performance exhaust in the EU - or presumably other full systems. This may or may not change.

In the meantime, my only option is a rear system - like this one from Remus that Evolve sell? https://www.evolveautomotive.com/rem...bs_tags_tabbed

Does this sound as beefy as the M Performance or Akrapovic? Also, would this help increase the sound further? https://www.evolveautomotive.com/rem...90-m5-opf.html There was a warning on this too that it might deactivate the OPF.

Imran - thanks for your help! Sorry, this has been a little confusing to me... before I just fitted the exhaust I wanted without researching into regulations. Sounds like I'll be needing to visit you in Luton soon. Will call soon to book in and see what other mods might make sense...
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #6
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. So to summarise, the M5C's OPF is currently not compatible with an M Performance exhaust in the EU - or presumably other full systems. This may or may not change.

In the meantime, my only option is a rear system - like this one from Remus that Evolve sell? https://www.evolveautomotive.com/rem...bs_tags_tabbed

Does this sound as beefy as the M Performance or Akrapovic? Also, would this help increase the sound further? https://www.evolveautomotive.com/rem...90-m5-opf.html There was a warning on this too that it might deactivate the OPF.

Imran - thanks for your help! Sorry, this has been a little confusing to me... before I just fitted the exhaust I wanted without researching into regulations. Sounds like I'll be needing to visit you in Luton soon. Will call soon to book in and see what other mods might make sense...
Yes,
Your only option at the moment is a back box from Remus/ACShnitzer, but one of them is far less costly than the other. You cannot change anything alse.
Appreciate 0