BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
pelantio
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

How to deal with minor scratch on steering wheel

I felt this minor scratch to the back of the steering wheel at 3 and a half position right in the afternoon of my first day with my m40i after I picked her up from a tire shop with some softer rubber put on for winter driving. Since I had to make it through the mountains before a snowstorm that night and I couldn't really tell was it there before or after the tire shop so I didn't go back to either the tire shop or the dealership, hoping that it would go away soon enough.

It got this tiny pinprick feeling to it every time I put my fingers over that area. And needless to say, it didn't go away on its own after a few weeks. I could see a tiny little scratch (half finger nail long) on the back of the steering wheel and to one end of the scratch there's this little tip that seems to be the damaged leather.

I wonder how can I restore my steering wheel to its "original feeling"? I suppose it's not under warranty and I don't know if bmw service department is the right place for it. I don't have any experience buffing out damaged leather before and I'm not sure what product do I need to do the job.

Any recommendations for either DIY or go to some place to get it fixed?

Help much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
Vik1292
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Show us some pics?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #3
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
I don't have personal experience but there are all sorts of steering wheel covers that would both protect your wheel from further damage and keep you from touching that scratch. Things like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OUYUE-Customi.../dp/B07GYXCDDQ

I've read people rave about covers *like* this but again, no personal experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
pelantio
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I don't have personal experience but there are all sorts of steering wheel covers that would both protect your wheel from further damage and keep you from touching that scratch. Things like this:

https://www.amazon.com/OUYUE-Customi.../dp/B07GYXCDDQ

I've read people rave about covers *like* this but again, no personal experience.
Not really into steering wheel covers. But thanks.

Would prefer the original size of the grip.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

If it is on the leather it will eventually “wear in”. I got a massive scratch on the wheel on my Audi. It eventually just wore in and smoothed out.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I had a similar little scratch on my X5 wheel and after a while it smoothed out enough that I stopped noticing it. With any luck yours will do the same.

Otherwise if it were me I might consider trying to use a razor to remove the tiny little piece that is protruding and catching your finger as it slides by. Not for the squeamish but might get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #7
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

I actually stopped wearing my wedding ring because i scratched my last M steering wheel. When the wheel was returning sliding in my hand it scratched the shit out of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispeed4fun View Post
I actually stopped wearing my wedding ring because i scratched my last M steering wheel. When the wheel was returning sliding in my hand it scratched the shit out of it.
I think it's fairly commonly found that M cars and wedding rings are mutually exclusive
Appreciate 3
JustChris17503.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
      03-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispeed4fun View Post
Ah that old classic on the way to the club
      03-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
pelantio
Rep

Thanks guys. I'll be patient and wait for it to wear out eventually, or do as XGoober said and trim it down some day
Appreciate 0