BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Steering Wheel lock device?

03-11-2019, 04:44 AM   #1
warrior808
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Steering Wheel lock device?

Hey guys,

Do any of you use a steering wheel lock device like a club or something like that? I don't have a garage and have to park in front of my house on the street. I figure it would serve as nothing more than a deterrent. If they want my car, they will get it. Do any of you all use something like a club? What would you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
warrior808
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

I found Disklok online and it looks good. Anyone with any experience with one of these? Also, I'm in my office and trying to find the factory size for the steering wheel. Does anyone know where I can find it?

https://www.amazon.com/Disklok-Secur...ve&sr=1-8&th=1
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #3
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Using Stoplock Pro Elite. I’ve combined it with sticky felt around the parts that touch the steering wheel (no marks on wheel whatsoever). Also you may want to use a small shoelace/something similar to hold the stoplock closer to the wheel to stop it resting on indicator stalk/paddles.

It’s not ideal and we shouldn’t have to resort to these things, but we live in a world where you can’t enjoy nice things without attracting the wrong attention. It’s worth it for the peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Disklok is a big heavy thing, awkward to fit too.

The Stoplock arm type are much easier to fit and store. I've used that type in the past.

Just a visible deterrent to make thieves walk on by your car hopefully. They know they can't just use OBD key programming etc to take your car, they'll have to do some old fashioned lock breaking too...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #5
warrior808
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

I ended up buying the Disklok before reading this forum. I'll just use it and see how it goes. It does look gigantic and heavy. I also bought a Unleko Pedal Lock to lock down the brake. An X5M was stolen in the next village, so it has me a bit worried.

I have also purchased a pouch for my keys. When walking up to the car with the key in the pouch, I'm unable to open the car. When I'm in the car with the key in the pouch, I can't start the engine. However, if I start the Engine and put the key in the pouch, the car still works and I can drive. If I start the engine, put the key in the pouch, and take the key out of the car (in the pouch), I can still drive without any issues. I can also drive with the key in the pouch, stop the car, and then restart the car. It does ask me for the key after trying to start the car the second time after the key is in the pouch.

Long story short, it just seems odd and makes me want to take extra precautions.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I firmly believe steering wheel locks don't work. My neighbor has one, but the car is missing. Thieves simply cut part of the steering wheel then left the club behind.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Doesn't our car come with HomeLink? You can track the location online?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
They're trying to prevent that all together. Don't mean to poke at you but you could also say "don't you have insurance?" But people want peace of mind and deter would-be thieves aka opportunistic thieves.

It's a burden and hassle to deal with the aftermath of the situation
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I find that the blinking light on the rear view mirror is enough of a deterrent. My M2 sits in my driveway.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
OMG i remember the club! lol. You can only rock this device if you own Blue Blockers and a Members Only Jacket
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
warrior808
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I firmly believe steering wheel locks don't work. My neighbor has one, but the car is missing. Thieves simply cut part of the steering wheel then left the club behind.
True, but I can't see anyone cutting a Disklok. It covers the entire steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #12
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I've put a Ghost Autowatch in to my car. If someone gets hold of my key and pushes the red button the car will start but as soon as they put it in gear the engine shuts down. My car's going nowhere unless you know the correct code to input in the buttons inside the car 😎
      03-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #13
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior808 View Post
True, but I can't see anyone cutting a Disklok. It covers the entire steering wheel.
Ahhh sounds like there is a better design. Sorry, didn't really look into it. If it covers the whole wheel then it's certainly a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #14
warrior808
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
I've put a Ghost Autowatch in to my car. If someone gets hold of my key and pushes the red button the car will start but as soon as they put it in gear the engine shuts down. My car's going nowhere unless you know the correct code to input in the buttons inside the car 😎
Nice. I need to look into that.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #15
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
No kidding, the OP would be better off putting a boot on the front tire like the police use.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #16
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior808 View Post
Quote:
Nice. I need to look into that.
It's a great bit of kit. Also has an anti-hijacking feature, but I haven't activated that yet.
      03-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #17
WILDSTYL
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT AW

IMO, you're wasting your money. If someone wants your car there going to take it regardless of the deterrent, they'll most likely use a flatbed or tow it using a wheel dolly.

It's like wheel locks, sure its a deterrent but if they want your wheels they will take them regardless.

I had a Fox Body Mustang that was stolen years ago while I was on a date at the movies, the car had an alarm, and even the fuel relay was removed under the seat, the car may run for only a few seconds with out, but then would stall out. This was a busy movie theater, even if you were a passersby would you think twice if you saw a tow truck hooking up to a vehicle? All they need is some phony business magnets on their doors. Most cars are taken to a chop shop or shipped overseas.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:36 AM   #18
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
LOL, and the thief just goes into idrive and "disable location tracking".
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #19
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
I couldnt find any Ghost Autowatch installers in the U.S.

Is there an equivalent device here for us?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #20
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftpohyeah View Post
I couldnt find any Ghost Autowatch installers in the U.S.

Is there an equivalent device here for us?
I'm not sure. It might be worth seeing if you can import the equipment and have a good car tech person to install it for you.
      03-13-2019, 01:35 AM   #21
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

I see no point in buying any anti-theft deterrent and IMO a waste of money.

If someone really wants to steal a car or
motorcycle, then bravo to them and they can steal away.

For me it would be give me a good excuse and reason to get something new and different.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:37 AM   #22
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderlustSeoul View Post
I see no point in buying any anti-theft deterrent and IMO a waste of money.

If someone really wants to steal a car or
motorcycle, then bravo to them and they can steal away.

For me it would be give me a good excuse and reason to get something new and different.
In the UK many insurance companies require owners to have additional theft deterrence like this to get cheaper premiums.

I can tell you that after all the effort I've gone to putting modifications on the car I wouldn't be at all happy with having it nicked only to go through the hassle of getting a new car and having to source all the parts again and have them re-fitted to a new car.

Someone would literally have to threaten me with a knife before I give them the code to my car, at which point I gladly would. Aside from that my car isn't going anywhere.