BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
ShaunM40i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 m40i

Uk 2019 x3 M40i pop and bang solutions

Hi All

I recently picked up my car and was disappointed to find out that due to the EU law it no longer pops and bangs like the 2018. You still get a nice burble, but no pops. Strangely it does pop/bang for a short while on start up if you blip the throttle. Anyone know why it would pop on start up, but not when it’s warm? What is is that makes he engine start louder and then calm down after about 30 secs? Is there a way to keep it on this mode all the time? Is there any other way other than remapping the ECU to make it pop? Problem is if I do that it voids the warranty.

Sorry for all the questions, but I’m hoping to find a solution. Also sorry if there is already a thread on this issue? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Annoying isn't it?

The cold start is because it's effectively like a choke on an old car, it's running rich for those first 30 seconds to get the thing going, then when the engine settles down it goes back to a normal idle and leans off the fuel mixture.

There are a few other threads, discussing tuning options and also exhaust options, some for the UK and some are broader. Nobody has a definitive solution which maintains the warranty... yet!
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
ShaunM40i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 m40i

Very annoying. All the videos I watched shows popping and banging, even one I saw in the Uk. I was completely unaware of the change. Still love the car and it still sounds great, but would be better with a few pops.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #4
london_v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

We are hoping bmw release an M performance exhaust for the 2019 model - I've enquired and they said to check back in a few months. Separate to this, AC Schnitzer seem to be working on a solution too. Rest assured we are all keeping our eyes peeled!

The exhaust will naturally sound better with time, too. But it will be a way off the 2018 pops and farts until a suitable aftermarket option comes by.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
SC11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_v View Post
We are hoping bmw release an M performance exhaust for the 2019 model - I've enquired and they said to check back in a few months. Separate to this, AC Schnitzer seem to be working on a solution too. Rest assured we are all keeping our eyes peeled!

The exhaust will naturally sound better with time, too. But it will be a way off the 2018 pops and farts until a suitable aftermarket option comes by.
News to me about BMW as I trough the stock exhaust was classed as an MP unit, be cool but expensive if they did an OEM upgrade.

As for ACS surely they just do the usual and rebadge a Remus unit with minor external tweaks, and we know Remus have already produced an exhaust for the X3 M40i just not released it.
Appreciate 0