BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > S55 disappointment after test drive with an M3

03-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
S55 disappointment after test drive with an M3

So I went to the dealer this afternoon to discuss a M2C. Worked out the numbers for everything and I was satisfied with how everything had gone so far. Knowing it wasn’t the N55 anymore and I have never drove the S55, I wanted to do a test drive. Luckily, there was a used ‘18 m3 on the lot for me to see how the engine responded. I couldn’t believe how disappointed with it I would be. I made sure it was up to operating temp first and did a red light launch, as well as 3-4 other launches in front of the dealer before going back and some rolling pulls. All left me disappointed, thoroughly disappointed. I expected performance similar to my m240ix (not launches, but rolling pulls for sure). None of it was close.

Coming from a ‘17 m240ix with jb4, CAI, sport cat DP and Remus exhaust, I know my hp and ya are already higher than the m3, but not by much I feel. To me, it was more of the power delivery of the S55 that left me deterred. From a lunch, held the brake and gas gas up to 2k, jumped off the brake and floored the gas and the rpm dropped to 1k, slowly moved forward like it was just being pushed from behind, and 1-2 seconds later the power kicked in and just broke the tires loose. Once it did grab traction, it felt no different than my 2 series does stock (I know because I did a pull after the dealership without my jb4 and CAI on the car this evening). From a roll, it felt a tad stronger than my car, except above 5.5k where the b58 falls off (again, without the jb4 and CAI).

Is this behavior due to the s55 tuning where the torque is detuned down low? For those of you with an m3/4, did a DP and flash fix this issue? I know these can make stupid power, but the factory delivery is garbage I feel unless moving and keeping it high in the rpms. Traction will always be an issue unless putting better tires on, I know, but from a roll I’d expect better power delivery.

For the test drive: ‘18 m3 with dct and 3200 miles. Did a stop, brake and gas to 2k and then dump brake and full gas. Also did a full off brake and just mashed the gas which seemed to be a little better with the delivery (yes tires spun, but it was how soon tires spun and engine revved that was better than brake/gas first tried). From a roll I was doing 15 floored to 80. Felt good up high, but until it hit 3-4K it wasn’t amazing. I’d like for it to just go when I hit the gas like the B58 does.

Looking for some serious feedback because right now I might look towards a v8 or the q60rs or something like that. I love my m240ix, but looking for more power and uniqueness (already few 2series here in the pan handle, but even fewer m2 here as well).

If there’s anyone in the fwb/Pensacola area on the forums with an m3/4 or m2c that wouldn’t mind taking me for a quick ride, I’d really be interested to see what another s55 can do. Thinking the m3 I test drive might have been the problem (some kind of issue with it?)

Last edited by Joe240; 03-09-2019 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Something doesn't add up. One thing that the s55 is NOT lacking is power down low. As such, the biggest problem is traction. I'm not sure if the car you drove was the issue or your expecations, but I can tell you that an m240, regardless of mods, should not hold a candle to a stock M3.
Appreciate 1
EthanEJC199.50
      03-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
That’s what has me curious. This being a low miles, fairly new m3, I wonder if there was something off about it. I didn’t do manual shift, just let the computer do that stuff, but maybe I didn’t let it stay in it’s power band? Either way, the dead stop run was weird as well. It reminded me of our ‘17 x1 we traded in. Come off the brake, floor it, and it didn’t want to go right away, almost like it was really bad turbo lag. Once the power kicked in, it would pull (for what the b46 could do in a 3600lb vehicle).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

You need to drive with the car in Sport+ Engine and D3 or S3 transmission to activate beast mode. Sounds like you were driving it in Efficient mode, which cuts down on throttle response and timing.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

what kind of one-dimensional test drive was this? you just flooring the throttle in different settings? ever take a turn? ever brake? ever feel the balance and steering of the car?

M cars are not just about straight line speed. Any little freddy in a 2 dolla hooptie can tune their car to have power. It's about the engineering, handling, balance, communication.

I've driven the M235 and thought it was a dismal little car. Maybe a 3/10. I've also driven the F80 M3 a few times now and think it's a pretty good car a solid 7/10.
      03-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #6
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
That’s what has me curious. This being a low miles, fairly new m3, I wonder if there was something off about it. I didn’t do manual shift, just let the computer do that stuff, but maybe I didn’t let it stay in it’s power band? Either way, the dead stop run was weird as well. It reminded me of our ‘17 x1 we traded in. Come off the brake, floor it, and it didn’t want to go right away, almost like it was really bad turbo lag. Once the power kicked in, it would pull (for what the b46 could do in a 3600lb vehicle).
As I also own an X1, this doesn't make any sense. The X1 isn't even on the same planet as my M3, in any measurable metric. There was something wrong with the car you drove, even if it was in all the basic settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I drove an X1 as a loaner while my M4 was in for servicing, let's just say I don't feel the same way as old Joe here.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #8
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
You need to drive with the car in Sport+ Engine and D3 or S3 transmission to activate beast mode. Sounds like you were driving it in Efficient mode, which cuts down on throttle response and timing.
My SA said to hit the m1 button and that was the sport+. However, my understanding is these are adjustable setting so I don’t know how it was configured, for either m1 or m2, so you’re more than likely correct and it was basically the equivalent of ecopro mode of my 240. Might have to go back and mess with the setting and give it another go round. Thanks for mentioning this as I didn’t think about it with 3 other people in the car, all of them talking.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:07 PM   #9
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
what kind of one-dimensional test drive was this? you just flooring the throttle in different settings? ever take a turn? ever brake? ever feel the balance and steering of the car?

M cars are not just about straight line speed. Any little freddy in a 2 dolla hooptie can tune their car to have power. It's about the engineering, handling, balance, communication.

I've driven the M235 and thought it was a dismal little car. Maybe a 3/10. I've also driven the F80 M3 a few times now and think it's a pretty good car a solid 7/10.
Unfortunately, it was one deminensional regarding the launch because that’s what I was looking for specifically and was my only gripe with the car. It road phenomenally, hella smoother than my 240 with 18” PSS in stock suspension which I find very odd. But like someone else mentioned, I could’ve very well had the car in eco mode and never knew because my SA didn’t walk me through adjusting the m buttons. He just said press m1 and said it was good to go. This being a used car those could’ve been set for comfort/eco settings.

The ride was smooth, the car handled fantastically, it was just how the s55 delivered the power that I didn’t enjoy. Even my wife noticed it didn’t deliver power like our 240 and didn’t like that particular aspect of it, liked everything else.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #10
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
As I also own an X1, this doesn't make any sense. The X1 isn't even on the same planet as my M3, in any measurable metric. There was something wrong with the car you drove, even if it was in all the basic settings.
Strictly speaking on the power delivery. Comfort mode in an x1 xDrive when floored takes a hot minute before the power kicks in. Sport mode it goes a little better. To me, throttle mapping of comfort vs sport mode is the difference. I’m not saying the x1 had more power or handled better in any sense. Just how the power delivery was it felt similar to me.

I do think there was an issue with it because after getting on it a bit, I did a little cool down through the parking lot taking the long way around to the spot and it seemed like it was idle/coasting a little odd for a second then went back to normal. Closest I could describe would be low idle and it wanted to die.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #11
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I would go to a different dealer and test drive another M3, M4, or M2C in Sport+ to get a clear picture and rule out something being wrong with the one you drove. The S55 is a beast.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:07 AM   #12
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I would go to a different dealer and test drive another M3, M4, or M2C in Sport+ to get a clear picture and rule out something being wrong with the one you drove. The S55 is a beast.
I’ve heard great things about the S55 (minus the sch issue when heavily modded). Is there an easy way of putting into sport+ without relying on the m1/2 buttons? Or do I have to set all of that up in iDrive first? I’m going to ask for an extended test drive today and see how things go. If still the same then I’ll make the hour drive to the other dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #13
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
I’ve heard great things about the S55 (minus the sch issue when heavily modded). Is there an easy way of putting into sport+ without relying on the m1/2 buttons? Or do I have to set all of that up in iDrive first? I’m going to ask for an extended test drive today and see how things go. If still the same then I’ll make the hour drive to the other dealership.
Have to set it up!

M1/2 buttons are just memory settings and have no bearing on ensuring the engine is in Sport+

If you drive in Efficient mode the engine is sluggish

Given that your B58 is already on JB4, I wouldn't expect too much of a difference between the two. Put the JB4 on the S55 then that's day and night!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 06:33 AM   #14
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

There's a button left of the shifter. See attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Perp73.50
      03-10-2019, 07:02 AM   #15
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
There's a button left of the shifter. See attached.
Thank you for the info. I’ll give that a try today. I’ll report back with my findings (fingers crossed).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #16
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Have to set it up!

M1/2 buttons are just memory settings and have no bearing on ensuring the engine is in Sport+

If you drive in Efficient mode the engine is sluggish

Given that your B58 is already on JB4, I wouldn't expect too much of a difference between the two. Put the JB4 on the S55 then that's day and night!
I was thinking more along the lines of the Sport rocker button in my m240i to switch between modes instead of the m1/2 buttons. Gonna try DDK’s advise today and see what happens.

Not expecting better performance to my car, but what I experienced was slower from a roll where I was expecting the same level. Sounds like it was in efficient mode during my drive instead of sport+
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #17
NY135ivishnu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 135i

On m1 you have a late power delivery on 1 and 2 gear. If you place the car on m2 mode with MDM off the car has full power on all gears. But please be careful, there is zero traction on 1-3 gears.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #18
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

You can't really do brake hold launches on a DCT Car. That's for torque convertor autos only.

Either use launch control proper or just use gas after coming off the brake.

If you give it full gas and have traction fully on it will just cut the power agressively and give it back gently making the car crawl away.

Agree you need it in sport or sport + and MDM traction mode on.
Appreciate 1
akkando5864.50
      03-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #19
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
You can't really do brake hold launches on a DCT Car. That's for torque convertor autos only.

If you give it full gas and have traction fully on it will just cut the power agressively and give it back gently making the car crawl away.

I also suspected user error here.
      03-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #20
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

I did not know that about DCTs. In the ZF8, sport+ and S shift, you hold both to engage launch control. I assumed that’s how it was on the DCT as well.

I made sure to look up launch control in an m3 and found out how to do it properly in the m3. Also found out about “Smokey Burnout Mode” which also doesn’t include using any brake initially haha.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I do appreciate you guys helping me find where my errors were. I’ll be taking delivery of my m2c in a few weeks it looks like since it just finished production yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #21
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I'm curious to read about your 2nd outing with the m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #22
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

The M235i is very good at accelerating through traffic below 80 mph. The ZF has 8 gears and shifts very fast in Sport+. It isn't a very dramatic transmission but it is really efficient. The M235i N55 has plenty of torque low down but it is lagging at the high end. It is also quite a bit lighter than an M3. That being said, if the M3 has its adjustments set up for sport driving the M235 wouldn't stand a chance.
Appreciate 0