E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Recently got 325i N52 E90 2.5L European model, want to hear your opinion.

03-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Merahan
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325i (2.5L)

Recently got 325i N52 E90 2.5L European model, want to hear your opinion.

Hey, im new here, recently got a 325i 2,5L N52 E90. Recorded the sound of the engine like 2-3 minutes after the start (no rev and it was out overnight (2-8C cold here in Germany this night) And just wanna hear your opinion about the sound of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLTO...ature=youtu.be

, also you can see little oily parts maybe, what do you think overall the engine?

Also 2 more pictures one: The coolant level seems to be okay but on the picture is hardly to see but the fluid i think its brown:
View post on imgur.com

And after a night out cold start and a few hard rev (like to 7000rpm) this come out of the exhaust:
View post on imgur.com

Overall no warning lights or so, the car runs very great, i feel no loss of power (i drove a 163HP diesel before and i feel this car is produce the stock 218HP or arround that)

Thanks for your answers

EDIT 1: The car has 206K KM on it, and its Automatic
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Why in the hell would you rev the piss out of your car after a cold start???

What am I looking at in the first photo?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17365.00
      03-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Merahan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Why in the hell would you rev the piss out of your car after a cold start???

What am I looking at in the first photo?

1st photo is the best picture i could take of the inside of the coolant tank.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merahan View Post
1st photo is the best picture i could take of the inside of the coolant tank.
Are you saying that you have Oil in your coolant? If that is the case, you have big issues and need to drain it immediately as well as clean the entire system out ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
Merahan
Rep

Quote:
Are you saying that you have Oil in your coolant? If that is the case, you have big issues and need to drain it immediately as well as clean the entire system out ASAP.
I dont know if that is oil or not, because it could be rust or anything i dont know. Im a programmer not a mechanic, sadly i dont understand these things well. ALSO i dont know if the coolant liquid was changed or not i bought like this a few days ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
Mayorie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I dont know if that is oil or not, because it could be rust or anything i dont know. Im a programmer not a mechanic, sadly i dont understand these things well.
Ummm I don't know what that means, I program, code, and I turn a wrench from time to time... Doesn't require any special skills, just a little common sense.

Do you know what oil feels like? Do you know what coolant is supposed to feel like? I would stick my finger in there and see if it is oily or not. Either way, your coolant tank should not look like that.

If you are not going to diagnose and fix the problem yourself, I would just find a good independent Mechanic that you can trust. Just know its going to be expensive no matter what.

Was the Oil filter housing gasket replaced? If you don't correctly drain the entire system when this is done, oil pretty much will get in the system.

Edit: I guess I should follow up that coolant can come in orange, blue and green. It could be that you have blue coolant that someone poured green/orange to top off and is looking brown... BMW's have Blue from the factory. There is a ton of debate as to which colors to use when you flush, if you should go OEM or Prestone, etc.

The common consensus is that if its brown, flush it down. It could be rust (also not good) or contaminates in the coolant. Get rid of it as soon as possible, if it has oil in it, wash the system out with dawn or some other dish soap until its totally squeaky clean. Then get new coolant and see if the color comes back or if the coolant stays fresh.

Last edited by dakine_surf; 03-09-2019 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
Merahan
Rep

Quote:
Ummm I don't know what that means, I program, code, and I turn a wrench from time to time... Doesn't require any special skills, just a little common sense.

Do you know what oil feels like? Do you know what coolant is supposed to feel like? I would stick my finger in there and see if it is oily or not. Either way, your coolant tank should not look like that.

If you are not going to diagnose and fix the problem yourself, I would just find a good independent Mechanic that you can trust. Just know its going to be expensive no matter what.

Was the Oil filter housing gasket replaced? If you don't correctly drain the entire system when this is done, oil pretty much will get in the system.

Edit: I guess I should follow up that coolant can come in orange, blue and green. It could be that you have blue coolant that someone poured green/orange to top off and is looking brown... BMW's have Blue from the factory. There is a ton of debate as to which colors to use when you flush, if you should go OEM or Prestone, etc.

The common consensus is that if its brown, flush it down. It could be rust (also not good) or contaminates in the coolant. Get rid of it as soon as possible, if it has oil in it, wash the system out with dawn or some other dish soap until its totally squeaky clean. Then get new coolant and see if the color comes back or if the coolant stays fresh.
Okay i went out to the car, i cant put my finger in, but i folded a white paper into a long and slim form and dipped in that, when i pulled out it was 90% white like only color change was the wet papper "color" and a little bit of blue color smelled like coolant fluid. Also the above picture was taken when the cooalnt was hot, now when its cold i pressed that thing that measure the level of it, a little bit down and the fluid was transparent because i could see the thing going down, so i think its okay, even the thing said that bmw official coolant is blue, so maybe this was NEVER changed (i dont know) but it seems okay for me now, what do you think about the engine sound and the exhaust split?

Thanks for your time
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Okay i went out to the car, i cant put my finger in, but i folded a white paper into a long and slim form and dipped in that, when i pulled out it was 90% white like only color change was the wet papper "color" and a little bit of blue color smelled like coolant fluid. Also the above picture was taken when the cooalnt was hot, now when its cold i pressed that thing that measure the level of it, a little bit down and the fluid was transparent because i could see the thing going down, so i think its okay, even the thing said that bmw official coolant is blue, so maybe this was NEVER changed (i dont know) but it seems okay for me now, what do you think about the engine sound and the exhaust split?

Thanks for your time
Do a coolant flush ASAP... It should have been changed by now with 200K KM on the clock.

The sound is about normal for the n52, I hear a little ticking but that is a BMW thing in general.

The exhaust spit goes back to my first question you never answered... What in the actual fuck are you thinking revving a motor to 7k on a cold start? That is a good way to break shit. Hell, why even rev your motor at all unless you are driving?

Your tailpipes look sooty, so I would say you are burning super rich, the liquid in the tailpipe is just ice melting to water, but with how dirty your exhaust is, it makes me think you have combustion issues or emissions problems.

From now on don't rev your motor when cold, just let it warm up normally... idling... then when its up to temp, drive it, but don't sit there and bounce it off the rev limiter, that does nothing for you except make you look like a douche bag
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
Merahan
Rep

Quote:
Do a coolant flush ASAP... It should have been changed by now with 200K KM on the clock.

The sound is about normal for the n52, I hear a little ticking but that is a BMW thing in general.

The exhaust spit goes back to my first question you never answered... What in the actual fuck are you thinking revving a motor to 7k on a cold start? That is a good way to break shit. Hell, why even rev your motor at all unless you are driving?

Your tailpipes look sooty, so I would say you are burning super rich, the liquid in the tailpipe is just ice melting to water, but with how dirty your exhaust is, it makes me think you have combustion issues or emissions problems.

From now on don't rev your motor when cold, just let it warm up normally... idling... then when its up to temp, drive it, but don't sit there and bounce it off the rev limiter, that does nothing for you except make you look like a douche bag
I usually drive in the city normal warmup, i dont use it like an idiot (sadly i dont know what previous owners did) sometimes (ofc when its heated) i give full gas just because this car is new to me and feels good, and ever since its warmed up i dont think thats so bad. I reved it after 3 minutes of running in place, and just one time to 7k to see what comes out of it. So with city 80% and 20% highspeed use it consumes 9.7L - 11L / 100KM so i think that is normal too. The exhaust is full stock btw.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #11
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I reved it after 3 minutes of running in place, and just one time to 7k to see what comes out of it.
Yeah don't do that...

If the cars maintenance is questionable from the previous owner, I would really take it in. That coolant looks terrible, the oil and soot in the exhaust is concerning.

If you don't know how to maintain/ willing to learn, a high mile BMW is not really a good vehicle. I understand you just got it and its new to you, but there are some red flags right off the start, I wouldn't drive it around until those are addressed.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #12
Merahan
Rep

Quote:
Yeah don't do that...

If the cars maintenance is questionable from the previous owner, I would really take it in. That coolant looks terrible, the oil and soot in the exhaust is concerning.

If you don't know how to maintain/ willing to learn, a high mile BMW is not really a good vehicle. I understand you just got it and its new to you, but there are some red flags right off the start, I wouldn't drive it around until those are addressed.
I dont know if that is oil, or just water and carbon comed out
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I dont know if that is oil, or just water and carbon comed out
Even if its just carbon... it shouldn't look like that, my tailpipes are squeaky clean after 100k... Your car probably needs a thorough service and at least a coolant and trans fluid flush. Possibly new coils and plugs. I would pull the spark plugs and inspect them.
Appreciate 0