BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #1
Private
England
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

Rear Seat Entertainment

I know some of you are on the fence about this, but speaking to the guys who have it, what are your thoughts? Any videos of it in action?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
My X5 50i is fully loaded sans that and NV. I have no children so it's not needed. Keep in mine RSE (rear seat entertainment) gives people a lot of control over maps, music etc. The real question is do you want you kids to have that control
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

I have it on my G30 and wish my G05 had it too. It's full featured including HDMI, USB input. I have a HDD connected to mine loaded with movies to keep the kids in line.

The main negative is you lose the USB C connector and the travel and comfort connection slot
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
My X5 50i is fully loaded sans that and NV. I have no children so it's not needed. Keep in mine RSE (rear seat entertainment) gives people a lot of control over maps, music etc. The real question is do you want you kids to have that control
This is what killed it for me. I also factored in I could buy (2) iPad Air 2’s and factory holders for $700.00 and have more content, better display and the ability to remove them. I had rear entertainment in my last Summit and my kids (11yr 9yr) still played their iPads most of the time. Then there was the time they did watch movies on it but didn’t want to use the earphones so I am listening to “Finding Nemo” through the vehicle. I think the days of factory rear entertainment have past.

Appreciate 2
      03-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
I have it on my G30 and wish my G05 had it too. It's full featured including HDMI, USB input. I have a HDD connected to mine loaded with movies to keep the kids in line.

The main negative is you lose the USB C connector and the travel and comfort connection slot
Someone from a dealership posted an X7 video and mentioned that the rear entertainment screens have screen mirroring from another device.Does that mean you are able to play a movie that you have downloaded on an iPad wirelessly to your rear entertainment screen?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #6
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post

Someone from a dealership posted an X7 video and mentioned that the rear entertainment screens have screen mirroring from another device.Does that mean you are able to play a movie that you have downloaded on an iPad wirelessly to your rear entertainment screen?
AFAIK only screen mirroring works with android. I've had one kid watching a movie from the hdd and another watching a blu Ray on the other screen
Appreciate 1
SW192441.50
      03-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
This is what killed it for me. I also factored in I could buy (2) iPad Air 2’s and factory holders for $700.00 and have more content, better display and the ability to remove them. I had rear entertainment in my last Summit and my kids (11yr 9yr) still played their iPads most of the time. Then there was the time they did watch movies on it but didn’t want to use the earphones so I am listening to “Finding Nemo” through the vehicle. I think the days of factory rear entertainment have past.

I can see that, unless you're being driven in the back of a 7 Series RSE is a little pointless.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
I have screen mirrored my Note 8 and streamed HULU on the front screen. Through the Logic 7.1, the movie sound stage was excellent. Unfortunately, it won’t do this while in motion for safety.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
mrs best
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Does anyone know what the port is for on the backs of the front seats? I have the iPad holder, but wonder what the port is for?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #10
TJ_BMW
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d/BMW M5 F90 Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs best View Post
Does anyone know what the port is for on the backs of the front seats? I have the iPad holder, but wonder what the port is for?
USB-C
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #11
zagyyz
Rep
Drives: /

Could I log into Netflix on the RSE, or mirror an iPad/iPhone using Neflix?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:24 AM   #12
osa1
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40080 View Post
I know some of you are on the fence about this, but speaking to the guys who have it, what are your thoughts? Any videos of it in action?
I had a rear entertainment in the previous model and just got a new 2020 built that has it as well. The older kid mainly streams (screen mirroring or firestick) while the other one is watching educational movies I download on the USB stick. With this set up I have control over what the little one watches (unlike ipads), the sound is by far superior and I don't have to worry about flying objects during crash. If money is not an object it's absolutely worth it if you have kids.

That being said, there is a huge issue that I'm gonna address in the next post to get an attention from people who haven't read this far....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:42 AM   #13
osa1
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

supported video formats

So I've been playing all sorts of video formats in the rear from the USB stick in the X5 2017 (mp4, avi, mkv you name it). I loved it and built a new 2020 with the rear entertainment to find out that despite the specs (see pic) neither USB-a upfront nor USB-c in the rear play .avi movies. Has anyone been experiencing the same?

Also the library isn't updating (shows movies that are no longer on the stick).

Has anyone had luck putting non-supportive support to work and make them do what the car says in the manual it would do? I'm not been successful at this.

Is there a way to download an .avi codec? I spoke to a few coders, but none work with the new OS (iDrive 7).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #14
Popp
Finland
Rep
Drives: Looking for a BMW G30 530e

I've ordered a 45e with RSE for the kids, have tried a few portable DVD players and they all fail or break down very easily, therefore decided on this option.

How does the RSE work or look like irl? I haven't found any videos or good pictures of it yet, if you feel like sharing please do. How do the screens work, what functionalities are there? Cant really find anything even on the BMW website except a generic description.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #15
mandomedic122
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5M G05, Mini 2016 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popp View Post
I've ordered a 45e with RSE for the kids, have tried a few portable DVD players and they all fail or break down very easily, therefore decided on this option.

How does the RSE work or look like irl? I haven't found any videos or good pictures of it yet, if you feel like sharing please do. How do the screens work, what functionalities are there? Cant really find anything even on the BMW website except a generic description.
This is what it looks like.

Armando
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 12:50 AM   #16
mgnmpl
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (G05)

Guys, seriously... why do you spend money for outdated system with very limited functionality, very complicated user experience if you could buy like five iPads for that price.

I will never understand why would you buy something that is usable only in car if you can have something way better and more usable for much less price. Especially with travel&comfort system in X5 it’s just.... I don’t get it
Appreciate 4
X5 45e1077.00
perikifi165.50
omasou2079.50
tooloud10699.00
      01-28-2020, 01:36 AM   #17
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnmpl View Post
Guys, seriously... why do you spend money for outdated system with very limited functionality, very complicated user experience if you could buy like five iPads for that price.

I will never understand why would you buy something that is usable only in car if you can have something way better and more usable for much less price. Especially with travel&comfort system in X5 it's just.... I don't get it
Exactly why I just ordered two iPad holders for the T & C system to attach the iPad's they already have.

Might be different with younger children that can't operate an iPad or if you have all movies on dvd or usb. We have most movies in iTunes and download a selection before the trip.
Appreciate 1
mgnmpl28.00
      01-28-2020, 03:12 AM   #18
Popp
Finland
Rep

Thanks for the pics mandomedic122

We have two young kids, the RSE seems like a great option. IPads are not that great with young children that need constant attention if you are driving, even as a passengerit is a bit frustrating to constantly reach to the7 back seat. We tried 2 different portable DVD screens but they both broke down either due to heat or cold (the internal batteries or electronics dont last at all). Just put a DVD in and drive, thats what we wanted but seems to be hard to find in todays market.

On the other hand, in 9 months (that it takes to deliver the 45e) the younger one will probably already master the ipad well enough We'll see, I will post my experiences in the future, now at this moment 5 ipads on the backseat would probably not make our longer trips any easier

Last edited by Popp; 01-28-2020 at 03:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:27 AM   #19
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Thanks for the pics mandomedic122

We have two young kids, the RSE seems like a great option. IPads are not that great with young children that need constant attention if you are driving, even as a passengerit is a bit frustrating to constantly reach to the7 back seat. We tried 2 different portable DVD screens but they both broke down either due to heat or cold (the internal batteries or electronics dont last at all). Just put a DVD in and drive, thats what we wanted but seems to be hard to find in todays market.

On the other hand, in 9 months (that it takes to deliver the 45e) the younger one will probably already master the ipad well enough
I have the RSE system in my current F15. My kids are now 4, 4, 2. In the newly ordered 45e I haven't chosen RSE again. The system is to limited in what audio/video to play and how/were to output the audio. In the 45e I will use ipads with the travel/usb-c connectors on the back of the seats. For (really) young kids, the RSE is fine, as long as they screen is showing something it's mostly fine. It's also a pro that you can start the movies on the RSE from the idrive in the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:39 AM   #20
Popp
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I have the RSE system in my current F15. My kids are now 4, 4, 2. In the newly ordered 45e I haven't chosen RSE again. The system is to limited in what audio/video to play and how/were to output the audio. In the 45e I will use ipads with the travel/usb-c connectors on the back of the seats. For (really) young kids, the RSE is fine, as long as they screen is showing something it's mostly fine. It's also a pro that you can start the movies on the RSE from the idrive in the front.
I wonder if it is updated in G05 and what features there are. The iPad holders are great for sure, the ergonomics is far superior to just holding the iPad on the lap. On the other hand you can't really control what the kids watch with the iPad. I think RSE is a good and easy solution for my wife to use for now, but maybe not that good in the long run, will post comments when I get some real world experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:09 AM   #21
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I wonder if it is updated in G05 and what features there are. The iPad holders are great for sure, the ergonomics is far superior to just holding the iPad on the lap. On the other hand you can't really control what the kids watch with the iPad. I think RSE is a good and easy solution for my wife to use for now, but maybe not that good in the long run, will post comments when I get some real world experience.
That's correct. When mine where 4 and 5 I did a trip of 5 hours without my wife and changing the dvd of Dora the explorer in the rear seat mounted portable dvd was dangerous. And I had to change it because it drove me mad. They didn't mind. As long as it plays. Like mentioned !

But now they are 9 and 10 and want to watch different things, play different games. Teaching them what they can and can't do on the IPad you have to do anyway.

For the iPad I installed parent controle. You can block app's and if you only put on the movies you want them to watch you are ok. Or you can set an age limit and it won't show movies not suited below a Certain age. If you set at 9 years it will only show cartoons and Mary Poppins. If you remove the age limit you can see your own movies again.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #22
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
I control their ipads with parental control. They have just a few (educational) apps and some movies they can watch. In the first years the RSE is fine, when they grow older, their needs will change. :-) If you don't like the RSE after a while, that's a great reason to buy a new car! ;-)
Appreciate 0