BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
sass0
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

wireless charging problems

I have the x3m40i with the charging pad.

The charging worked good first few months.

now running into problems.

the blue light that shows the phone is charging, but constantly turns orange and stops charging. Also I notice the phone gets really hot (iphone xsmax).

has anybody ran into problems like this with the wireless charging?

-sass0
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Yup.
Call the dealer, go and show them the problem, they'll replace it.
Although mine's been awaiting replacement since December...
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Dutch1576
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass0 View Post
I have the x3m40i with the charging pad.

The charging worked good first few months.

now running into problems.

the blue light that shows the phone is charging, but constantly turns orange and stops charging. Also I notice the phone gets really hot (iphone xsmax).

has anybody ran into problems like this with the wireless charging?

-sass0
I have a 2019, production date of November 2018, M40i. I noticed that if my phone is in the charging pad, but pushed way back, the charging station does not work properly and the light remains orange. I have to position the phone, just right, for it to work as intended. This is not uncommon having a wireless charging pad at home as well. My phone (iPhone XS Max) also gets very warm while on the charging pad. This mainly happens when I am using the phone through CarPlay (music, Waze, etc.) and have it charging at the same time.

Have you done any experimenting with the phone such as what I've mentioned above? Put it on the charger, position it in the center, do not use the phone and see if it gets hot. Then try something different and determine if the outcome is the same. In my case I have a feeling that this is normal behavior.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
sass0
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch1576 View Post
I have a 2019, production date of November 2018, M40i. I noticed that if my phone is in the charging pad, but pushed way back, the charging station does not work properly and the light remains orange. I have to position the phone, just right, for it to work as intended. This is not uncommon having a wireless charging pad at home as well. My phone (iPhone XS Max) also gets very warm while on the charging pad. This mainly happens when I am using the phone through CarPlay (music, Waze, etc.) and have it charging at the same time.

Have you done any experimenting with the phone such as what I've mentioned above? Put it on the charger, position it in the center, do not use the phone and see if it gets hot. Then try something different and determine if the outcome is the same. In my case I have a feeling that this is normal behavior.

Yes, even when not playing music it does the same thing. I am gonna take in this week for service and mention the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #5
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Yup.
Call the dealer, go and show them the problem, they'll replace it.
Although mine's been awaiting replacement since December...
Do you have paperwork for this repair that your are waiting for ?

I took in my x4 and they kept it for a couple weeks. Today they mentioned that they ordered "parts" that are not in stock but there is an open purchase order for them —- total of 82 units across the United States.

I tend to believe my SA but they asked my to give back the loaner to keep the DAVIS days down.

I was quoted 7-10 days but I work in Mro/ supply chain and can smell an extended backorder immediately .

I read through the paperwork and there is no mention of this part on backorder.

If your paperwork shows this repair, please attach a picture . Fine to cover up personal information .
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:55 AM   #6
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I have no paperwork as they haven't done anything yet. They saw me replicate the problem, agreed it needs a new wireless charging tray, and said that the part is on an engineering stop. I am awaiting the new part to be in stock before they can fit it.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
Frinckster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 bmw x3, BMW X7 Individual

I was at the dealership last week to have my car check since I am having issues with my WC. I waited until my wife got a new phone to try and see if it was only my iphone X that was giving me trouble but it was happening on my wife's brand new iphone XR to . So I went this week and the service agent told me there is no problem with my WC and BMW is aware that there are issues with the iphone and WC overheating. They gave me a print out of a service bulletin from the engineering regarding the cut-off temperature for the WC to stop charging. I tried to attached the copy her but file to too large for attachment.
Appreciate 0