BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Vik1292
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Experience picking up car from dealership?

For those that did a custom (special) order online, how was your experience picking up the car and driving off? Was it smooth, stressful, etc.?

Also when picking up your car, was it just hanging out on the lot or inside the dealer building covered, etc.?

Let me know!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

I'm confused .

You made deal entirely via email/ phone ?

Delivery should be very smooth, everything should be ready for you (paperwork) price is negotiated so there should be no hiccups.

My cars have been delivered outside . Some dealerships have delivery bays.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #3
Vik1292
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
You go to dealership, place order. You get call from dealership that car has arrived and ready for pick-up.

At this point, when you went to the dealership to pick up your car, I'm speaking of this experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
3520MF
Rep
Drives: ‘19 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik1292 View Post
You go to dealership, place order. You get call from dealership that car has arrived and ready for pick-up.

At this point, when you went to the dealership to pick up your car, I'm speaking of this experience.

Just picked up my wife’s car today with her.
When we arrived at the dealership the car was in a bay in the dealership for us to inspect and the SA went over the features etc.
Then went to the finance office for my wife to sign the paperwork and that was it
All in all under 2 hrs, had to wait a little for the finance mgr who was finishing up with an earlier delivery. My wife waited in the owners lounge area and I checked out some M2’s. Lol
Everything went by smoothly
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
Vik1292
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Good to hear and congrats!

Side question, did the dealer install the front license plate bracket for your car? Or they asked for your permission prior to doing so, if at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
3520MF
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear and congrats!

Side question, did the dealer install the front license plate bracket for your car? Or they asked for your permission prior to doing so, if at all.

Specifically told our SA prior to delivery no front plate mount. Did the same with our prior X5
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
Vik1292
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Ahhh I see, good to know and hear. Yeah, I plan to take delivery of my X3 M40i later this month or early next month.

I reached out to my SA to let him know I do not want a front plate. He advised, "don't worry, I won't forget. We get a lot of customers who don't want the front plate installed."

Part of me is ok with his response, the other half is killing me because I don't want him to forget lol. I was planning on emailing the BMW Genius and other people in the service department as the car gets closer to delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
3520MF
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh I see, good to know and hear. Yeah, I plan to take delivery of my X3 M40i later this month or early next month.

I reached out to my SA to let him know I do not want a front plate. He advised, "don't worry, I won't forget. We get a lot of customers who don't want the front plate installed."

Part of me is ok with his response, the other half is killing me because I don't want him to forget lol. I was planning on emailing the BMW Genius and other people in the service department as the car gets closer to delivery.

Totally understand where your coming from... yeah just reach out to him again closer to delivery. From what I’ve heard most M cars and cars with the M sport pkg they won’t drill the bumper prior. But I have heard some meltdown stories of bumpers being drilled. Good luck with your delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
For those that did a custom (special) order online, how was your experience picking up the car and driving off? Was it smooth, stressful, etc.?
This is not specific to custom orders, but be prepared to spend at least a couple of hours doing:
  • Running the Finance Gauntlet. Even though you have already negotiated the price, the finance manager will try to sell you all manner of addons, possibly using scare tactics. Be prepared to say No -- a lot. (Or, maybe "yes" if the price is right for something that you'd like.)

• Paperwork. Lots of paperwork.

• Talking with a BMW Genius. It says something about today's cars when we have to attend Car School to learn about all the new car features.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
Dutch1576
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3520MF View Post
Just picked up my wife’s car today with her.
When we arrived at the dealership the car was in a bay in the dealership for us to inspect and the SA went over the features etc.
Then went to the finance office for my wife to sign the paperwork and that was it
All in all under 2 hrs, had to wait a little for the finance mgr who was finishing up with an earlier delivery. My wife waited in the owners lounge area and I checked out some M2’s. Lol
Everything went by smoothly
^^^This....Very similar experience when I picked up mine. However, mine was not a special order. I happened to get lucky that a dealer within my state was expecting delivery of the vehicle (exactly how I wanted it, fully spec'd) so they just rerouted delivery to my local dealership. When I picked it up, they had it in the delivery area with their genius who spent a little more than an hour going over the vehicle with me. I then went over signed paperwork as they buttoned everything up at the delivery center, and had the car waiting for be outside by the time I was done. All in about 2-3 hours. It was my first new BMW in 14 years, but great experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
antjones21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Also when picking up your car, was it just hanging out on the lot or inside the dealer building covered, etc.?

Let me know!
My experience was just ok picking up my X4. I live in Milwaukee, WI and I ordered from a dealer right outside Chicago. So I met with the SA once and he was way off for my trade, went to another dealer got a great quote and then the original dealer offered to match and beat that quote. So that was all done via email because I wasn't going to drive 90 miles again just for that. Placed order on 1/5 and took delivery on 1/29. When I got there the car was in a bay but it wasn't covered or anything. I really wanted to take a bunch of pics and possible a nice video of the whole process after I signed the paperwork. But when I went outside to remove my personal things from my trade, the SA pulled the car out to the parking lot. I was pissed because it was snowing that day and it was -10 degrees, so I wasn't able to get any good pics. Still haven't been able to get any good pics as it's been snowing here almost every few days since I took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #12
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

I have used my same Sales rep for 6 car purchases. He moves around a lot so I end up with different makes but always German and all of them make something I like.

He always has my car on the showroom floor and everything ready to go when I get there. I doubt that it has ever taken more than an hour. When my M40 came in, he didn't text me it was there until he had it ready to go and in the showroom.

He was still with BMW when I made my recent AMG purchase so I just stopped into the MB dealership, walked up to the first desk and told the guy, "I buy at least one new car a year, here's my card, I know what I am interested, text me and I will tell you the car and experience I am looking for and you can see if you are interested".

That was late on a Friday evening and Saturday morning. We did probably 10-15 texts between Friday evening and Saturday to work out the deal, decline any extras and describe the experience I wanted.

He texted me early Saturday afternoon and told me the car was ready and he would just need 15-20 minutes for me to sign everything. I was in and out in about 20 minutes and yes, my car was on the showroom floor as I asked when I got there.

The next week and took it in and had it blacked out and the windows tinted. I am still awaiting my black license plate which I should have in 2 more weeks.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I see you are also in Dallas based on the dealer. I do all of my deal via email and text for the most part as well. I am usually in and out within a couple of hours when it comes to finalizing everything. Usually 30 minutes of that is waiting on finance. Next time I will insist on no finance “meeting” or the deal is off. I’m done with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #14
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replicant View Post
I see you are also in Dallas based on the dealer. I do all of my deal via email and text for the most part as well. I am usually in and out within a couple of hours when it comes to finalizing everything. Usually 30 minutes of that is waiting on finance. Next time I will insist on no finance “meeting” or the deal is off. I’m done with that.
I always get financing with my personal bank and let the dealer know my APR. If they want to match or beat that they can change it but everything still has to be ready to sign when I walk in.

On the AMG the PP dealer texted me that morning and stated that my bank gave them a better rate then they quoted me so we changed the loan before I got there. I am still uncertain how they beat my bank at my bank.....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
antjones21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
I have used my same Sales rep for 6 car purchases. He moves around a lot so I end up with different makes but always German and all of them make something I like.

He always has my car on the showroom floor and everything ready to go when I get there. I doubt that it has ever taken more than an hour. When my M40 came in, he didn't text me it was there until he had it ready to go and in the showroom.

Damn that's a dope as ride. If you don't mind me asking what did the GLC63S cost you? It's way out of my budget but I can dream right?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #16
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjones21 View Post
Damn that's a dope as ride. If you don't mind me asking what did the GLC63S cost you? It's way out of my budget but I can dream right?
Well, I came from a GLE63S to the M40. I thought I was being smart and mature by going with a less expensive car for a change but that backfired on me. The GLE63S is one model down from the GLE63S and it's more the size I like and faster. My GLE was 118,000 MSRP and the GLC was $96,000. Both had every option available.
Appreciate 0