BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
rs4eva
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Is the Active Driving Assistant Pro upgradable like Tesla?

They just announced their Full Self-Driving (FSD) option will have, including some pretty cool features later this year.

Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.
Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
(Advanced) Summon: “Your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.”
Coming later in 2019: Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
Coming later in 2019: Automatic driving on city streets.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4eva View Post
They just announced their Full Self-Driving (FSD) option will have, including some pretty cool features later this year.

Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.
(Advanced) Summon: “Your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.”
Elon Musk is full of himself, there is no way they will have a proper SAE Level 5 system out this year. He's blowing smoke up places I won't go into.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:

Elon Musk is full of himself, there is no way they will have a proper SAE Level 5 system out this year. He's blowing smoke up places I won't go into.
Dudes car is on the way to Mars. I'm not doubting anything he says.
Appreciate 1
bichoo280.50
      03-06-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrobb2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

(Advanced) Summon: "Your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really."
so what? he launched a prototype vehicle on a rocket, that has nothing to do with implementing SAE Level 5 automation into a car. Waymo, the most advanced venture so far barely has level 4 working after million and millions of supervised miles and much more advanced LIDAR based sensor
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(Advanced) Summon: "Your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really."
so what? he launched a prototype vehicle on a rocket, that has nothing to do with implementing SAE Level 5 automation into a car. Waymo, the most advanced venture so far barely has level 4 working after million and millions of supervised miles and much more advanced LIDAR based sensor
I'm just saying it's not the first time someone doubted him. He has a very accomplished resume so I'll believe him on that. These are published statements and they have to please shareholders and customers placing orders. I can't see Tesla just making $&!t up, without having actually tested these features. Level 4, 5 or not seems like they figured a way to accomplish these tasks. To be honest it doesn't really matter to me either way but it would be nice if it works. The more technological competition the better for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm just saying it's not the first time someone doubted him. He has a very accomplished resume so I'll believe him on that. These are published statements and they have to please shareholders and customers placing orders. I can't see Tesla just making $&!t up, without having actually tested these features. Level 4, 5 or not seems like they figured a way to accomplish these tasks. To be honest it doesn't really matter to me either way but it would be nice if it works. The more technological competition the better for everyone.
Tesla makes stuff up on a daily basis, this is how they 'work'. Everyday I see something Elon says that's so out there then when people call him out he announces q new feature or whatever to change the subject. Go back and look at the historical shit show of him tweeting or their typical announcements. This is nothing new and frankly people have called him on it many times before.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
bladers
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Do you also believe these published statements?

December 2015: "We're going to end up with complete autonomy, and I think we will have complete autonomy in approximately two years."

January 2016: "In ~2 years, summon should work anywhere connected by land & not blocked by borders, eg you're in LA and the car is in NY"

June 2016: "I think we are less than two years away from complete autonomy, safer than humans, but regulations should take at least another year," Musk said.

March 2017: "I think that [you will be able to fall asleep in a tesla] is about two years"

Nov 15, 2018: "Probably technically be able to [self deliver Teslas to customers doors] in about a year then its up to the regulators"

Jan 30 2019: "We need to be at 99.9999..% We need to be extremely reliable. When do we think it is safe for FSD, probably towards the end of this year then its up to the regulators when they will decide to approve that."
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #8
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladers View Post
Do you also believe these published statements?

December 2015: "We're going to end up with complete autonomy, and I think we will have complete autonomy in approximately two years."

January 2016: "In ~2 years, summon should work anywhere connected by land & not blocked by borders, eg you're in LA and the car is in NY"

June 2016: "I think we are less than two years away from complete autonomy, safer than humans, but regulations should take at least another year," Musk said.

March 2017: "I think that [you will be able to fall asleep in a tesla] is about two years"

Nov 15, 2018: "Probably technically be able to [self deliver Teslas to customers doors] in about a year then its up to the regulators"

Jan 30 2019: "We need to be at 99.9999..% We need to be extremely reliable. When do we think it is safe for FSD, probably towards the end of this year then its up to the regulators when they will decide to approve that."
Exactly my point
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #9
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Can someone provide their thoughts on the OP's question?
Has anyone asked BMW if they will provide s/w updates to add features to the autonomous driving packages?

My experience on this issue: When you are buying a car from BMW, the sales people don't have a clue, and Head Office don't want to make any commitments or get involved with real customers. The dealer only wants the sale and provides no indication what the BMW roadmap looks like.......
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Can't answer the OP's question but here is BMW's article on Autonomous driving. If I had to guess I would say it was possible to upgrade the software but it may not have all of the hardware that is needed.

https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...s-driving.html
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
My experience on this issue: When you are buying a car from BMW, the sales people don't have a clue, and Head Office don't want to make any commitments or get involved with real customers. The dealer only wants the sale and provides no indication what the BMW roadmap looks like.......
This is my perception as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Has anyone asked BMW if they will provide s/w updates to add features to the autonomous driving packages?

The sensors needed for true Level 3 or greater aren't offered on any BMW so the answer is no we won't see anything drastically better on the G05 right now.

Unlike Elon's delusional idea on the matter, software is only part of the equation, LIDAR, and more advanced sensors are needed too. AI will play a huge role in any semi-autonomous or fully autonomous vehicle, there simply isn't enough data or wheel time for this to happen yet.

I don't know why people think we will have true Level 4+ vehicles in the next year or two. Waymo, for example, has stated the tech isn't ready yet and they have more data, better AI, and the most advanced vehicles + software. There's a lot more to be done before we reach that point.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      04-23-2019, 08:38 PM   #13
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hate to revive this thread but...

Quote:
Quote:

The sensors needed for true Level 3 or greater aren't offered on any BMW so the answer is no we won't see anything drastically better on the G05 right now.

Unlike Elon's delusional idea on the matter, software is only part of the equation, LIDAR, and more advanced sensors are needed too. AI will play a huge role in any semi-autonomous or fully autonomous vehicle, there simply isn't enough data or wheel time for this to happen yet.

I don't know why people think we will have true Level 4+ vehicles in the next year or two. Waymo, for example, has stated the tech isn't ready yet and they have more data, better AI, and the most advanced vehicles + software. There's a lot more to be done before we reach that point.
Looks like Elon actually did it this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #14
imfletcher
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘18XC90,‘13A8L->&#

I've let my car back itself into a parking space (with 3 back and forths). Thinking nahhh.....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:03 PM   #15
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All show no substance. BMW, Audi and MB can do the same with some tweaks but they don't have the hardware for it to truly work properly.

I'm not going to debate this stuff on here. Just know there's a hell of a lot more to the picture than a flashy demo which not even Waymo (the most advanced company in autonomous driving) has. If he deploys that system as is people will die plain and simple. Please research the subject thoroughly so you can see what I mean. I want to express this is solely me trying to warn people against drinking the kool-aid no matter who's serving it.

I'm staying out of this as mentioned
Appreciate 2
mnewnam269.50
Stinkyxy152.00
      02-19-2021, 03:00 AM   #16
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Ask a stupid question time: It's not at all clear to me what Level of autonomy my 2021 car will have when I take delivery next month. Trying to wade through BMW site and cannot seem to find answers.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 03:39 AM   #17
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baunton View Post
Ask a stupid question time: It's not at all clear to me what Level of autonomy my 2021 car will have when I take delivery next month. Trying to wade through BMW site and cannot seem to find answers.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks.
Assuming you have ordered the Drive Assist Pro, it will be level 2, or 2.5 as some reference it.

The UK is passing law to allow hands-free up to 70mph, so in theory L3 is just around the corner.

The new 7 series may support L3 autonomous driving, I can see coding for a new hands free system which could potentially support hands free up to 70mph. Attention will still be required I expect, monitored with the Driver Attention Camera.
Appreciate 1
Baunton319.50
      02-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #18
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Assuming you have ordered the Drive Assist Pro, it will be level 2, or 2.5 as some reference it.

The UK is passing law to allow hands-free up to 70mph, so in theory L3 is just around the corner.

The new 7 series may support L3 autonomous driving, I can see coding for a new hands free system which could potentially support hands free up to 70mph. Attention will still be required I expect, monitored with the Driver Attention Camera.
Thanks. Yes have ordered the DAP Pack. Looking forward to trying it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 07:52 AM   #19
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The only thing Elon did (and will continue to do) is embarrass himself, lie a lot/make empty promises.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #20
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
In summary, Tesla can't even make body panels in their cars to line up, the wheel design is so bad they all get scratched the first time they go through an automatic car wash, the Tesla employees won't even buy their own cars knowing how bad the QA is. Anyone would be crazy to trust their fully autonomous driving capabilities. I mean, who really wants to be beheaded ? That happened when the "advanced" sensors on a Tesla couldn't tell the difference between a tractor trailer a highway overhead sign.

They'll even make some owners sign an NDA before fixing mechanical and/or safety related issues in their cars.

I've watched Tesla improve their cars over the years but they're long ways from putting out a product that's on par with most manufacturers.

Not only Tesla won't stand behind their cars, they'll sue their clients if they say bad things about them.

Musk is the poster child for SEC fraud and Tesla motors cars are smart cars that are overpriced and poorly built, but still smart cars.

Trust at your own risk!
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      02-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #21
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
In summary, Tesla can't even make body panels in their cars to line up, the wheel design is so bad they all get scratched the first time they go through an automatic car wash, the Tesla employees won't even buy their own cars knowing how bad the QA is. Anyone would be crazy to trust their fully autonomous driving capabilities. I mean, who really wants to be beheaded ? That happened when the "advanced" sensors on a Tesla couldn't tell the difference between a tractor trailer a highway overhead sign.

They'll even make some owners sign an NDA before fixing mechanical and/or safety related issues in their cars.

I've watched Tesla improve their cars over the years but they're long ways from putting out a product that's on par with most manufacturers.

Not only Tesla won't stand behind their cars, they'll sue their clients if they say bad things about them.

Musk is the poster child for SEC fraud and Tesla motors cars are smart cars that are overpriced and poorly built, but still smart cars.

Trust at your own risk!
I don't even fuck with radar cruise. Im scared its going to mistake a modest turn for a stopped vehicle and jam on the brakes causing me to get rear ended or if it drives into a piece of cardboard or bag and it will think its an object.

I like pain old cruise.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #22
cruzer666
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 M50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post

Trust at your own risk!
I don't even fuck with radar cruise. Im scared its going to mistake a modest turn for a stopped vehicle and jam on the brakes causing me to get rear ended or if it drives into a piece of cardboard or bag and it will think its an object.

I like pain old cruise.
Roads in California are definitely not assisted driving friendly. We constantly have construction , closed lanes. There are sharp turns on the freeway, specially on carpool lanes where you might have a stopped car right after a turn. You as a driver will be able to anticipate that and slow down but assisted driving will likely brake hard.

I love assisted driving plus when I'm stuck in traffic and going under 40 miles per hour. It does great when there are a lot of cars around you.
Appreciate 0