BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Here's mine!

I bought my m40i about two months ago and love everything about it; it is a blast to drive. I am coming from a grand Cherokee SRT so the performance factor isn't new. However this drives so much better and the power is a lot smoother. The Jeep was a 6.4L V8 475 hp that ran a very similar 0-60 time. I drive about 25,000 miles a year for work and was filling up 2.5 times a week and needed new tires every 10-12k miles. I needed something better on gas but something just as fun to drive. Enter the m40i!! The SRT was definitely a bucket list car of mine but I honestly have 0 regrets. This is my first bmw and so far so good.

I swapped out the grill and side vents with the iND black pieces. Also removed the x3 badge and put on the iND black m40i badge. I also swapped out the front and rear reflectors with the paint matched pieces. The car came with the 19 inch run flats and were a complete joke. I bought new 20 inch wheels and tires and went with the staggered setup. I have coded a bunch of things as well. Next on the list is to lower it and possibly have the roof wrapped in glossy black vinyl. I installed BMS intake and the sound from that is intoxicating, I love it. I have been so close to getting the mission performance stage 1 tune but every time I add it to the cart, I get stage fright at checkout. Just the whole warranty thing makes me nervous.

Sorry for the history lesson but here she is!
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
Max Well4742.00
MechX3M40i1006.00
JustChris17489.00
chicagofan0019147.50
Jayf30633.00
Rbrown2765.50
      03-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmock17 View Post
I bought my m40i about two months ago and love everything about it; it is a blast to drive. I am coming from a grand Cherokee SRT so the performance factor isn't new. However this drives so much better and the power is a lot smoother. The Jeep was a 6.4L V8 475 hp that ran a very similar 0-60 time. I drive about 25,000 miles a year for work and was filling up 2.5 times a week and needed new tires every 10-12k miles. I needed something better on gas but something just as fun to drive. Enter the m40i!! The SRT was definitely a bucket list car of mine but I honestly have 0 regrets. This is my first bmw and so far so good.

I swapped out the grill and side vents with the iND black pieces. Also removed the x3 badge and put on the iND black m40i badge. I also swapped out the front and rear reflectors with the paint matched pieces. The car came with the 19 inch run flats and were a complete joke. I bought new 20 inch wheels and tires and went with the staggered setup. I have coded a bunch of things as well. Next on the list is to lower it and possibly have the roof wrapped in glossy black vinyl. I installed BMS intake and the sound from that is intoxicating, I love it. I have been so close to getting the mission performance stage 1 tune but every time I add it to the cart, I get stage fright at checkout. Just the whole warranty thing makes me nervous.

Well these pictures are horrendous. If you click on them you can expand them. Sorry for the piss poor quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
needed new tires every 10-12k miles.
LOL - That sounds like fun.

The SRTs are pretty rare over in the UK but have one that parks outside my office. Nuts cars. Total (brilliant!) American extravagance.

Black on silver a very good look on your M40i.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring
Appreciate 1
Bmock17603.50
      03-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Car looking awesome! Enjoy the ride

Maybe a video for the exhaust note?
Appreciate 1
Bmock17603.50
      03-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great looking X3
      03-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
m235hou
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Nice! Where did you get those wheels / which brand are they?
Bmock17603.50
      03-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #7
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m235hou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzalad View Post
Quote:

The SRTs are pretty rare over in the UK but have one that parks outside my office. Nuts cars. Total (brilliant!) American extravagance.

They come from the factory with so much negative camber it is ridiculous. It was a blast to drive and I got comments on it everywhere, but it is still a Chrysler. The quality was definitely lacking. The trim inside would peel off, the fender flares would come off, just cheap stuff like that.

Appreciate that, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post

Thank you very much!

On the X3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Great looking X3
Thank you!
Appreciate 1
muzzalad268.50
      03-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzalad View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Great looking X3
Quote:
The wheels are Asanti ABL-19s. 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10 in the rear. They are a dark graphite color and look pretty sharp. A little different than black wheels that a lot of people are running.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #9
gymratmatt
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i, 2019 740i

Quote:

Looking sharp. Mine came with 19" and run-flats as well and I have been a bit disappointed with the setup thus far as well. When you say it was a complete joke do you mean in terms of handling, ride comfort, or what exactly? Have you found vast improvement aftermarket? Mind sharing the details of tires before and after as well?

I'd like to upgrade to the larger wheel size with run flats and go staggered as well but am worried about ride comfort as roads here aren't great. Really appreciate any insight you may have as seems like a similar situation. Eyeing some Vossen HF-3s in 20' with Michelin a/s 3+.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmatt View Post
Quote:

Looking sharp. Mine came with 19" and run-flats as well and I have been a bit disappointed with the setup thus far as well. When you say it was a complete joke do you mean in terms of handling, ride comfort, or what exactly? Have you found vast improvement aftermarket? Mind sharing the details of tires before and after as well?

I'd like to upgrade to the larger wheel size with run flats and go staggered as well but am worried about ride comfort as roads here aren't great. Really appreciate any insight you may have as seems like a similar situation. Eyeing some Vossen HF-3s in 20' with Michelin a/s 3+.
I am in Chicago and they were absolutely horrendous in the snow. By far the worst tires I have ever driven with in the snow. I don't know how in the world they are rated as an all season fire. The car would literally not stop and would slide everywhere. There were multiple occasions where I thought I was going to hit something and they were noisy as hell. I switched them out with the continental dws 06 extreme contact tires. They are rated as an all season as well but there is no comparison and I love them. The only thing is that I don't have a spare so if I get a flat I am SOL. They are much quieter and I think they ride a lot smoother as well. And no issues in the snow, at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was looking at those Vossen's as well, they are very sharp. I am a big fan of them. I will most likely wind up getting them when it warms up and run these that I bought as my winter set up.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #12
gymratmatt
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i, 2019 740i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am in Chicago and they were absolutely horrendous in the snow. By far the worst tires I have ever driven with in the snow. I don't know how in the world they are rated as an all season fire. The car would literally not stop and would slide everywhere. There were multiple occasions where I thought I was going to hit something and they were noisy as hell. I switched them out with the continental dws 06 extreme contact tires. They are rated as an all season as well but there is no comparison and I love them. The only thing is that I don't have a spare so if I get a flat I am SOL. They are much quieter and I think they ride a lot smoother as well. And no issues in the snow, at all.
Awesome info, thanks. So you've felt ride comfort improvement as well with the move to staggered and wider even with the smaller sidewall? I've noticed practically every road imperfection and some bounce to date. The tires are rated much higher in comfort but I'm worried about losing that cushion a bit. I am hoping losing some stiffness will help. Hard for a numbers guy like me to take a leap of faith so looking for some use cases if you will. Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #13
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome info, thanks. So you've felt ride comfort improvement as well with the move to staggered and wider even with the smaller sidewall? I've noticed practically every road imperfection and some bounce to date. The tires are rated much higher in comfort but I'm worried about losing that cushion a bit. I am hoping losing some stiffness will help. Hard for a numbers guy like me to take a leap of faith so looking for some use cases if you will. Appreciate it.
Here is what I can honestly tell you. I am completely OCD when it comes to my cars. I noticed immediately the run flats and I knew they wouldn't be on for long. I had never driven a car with run flats before and I never will in the future. This is strictly my opinion, but the ride was awful; very harsh, very noisy, and I honestly didn't feel comfortable driving the car in any amount of snow. At first I thought there was something wrong with the brakes because you could feel the ABS kicking as I was sliding across the pavement, no joke. When I told my wife about it she thought it was just my way of rationalizing new wheels and tires...until she drive it herself.

I think the ride is exponentially better. You are correct in that the tires are softer, but I think they are more comfortable. They are whisper quiet too. Like I said, the only downside is that if I get a flat, I will be stuck waiting for a tow.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure where you are at, but if you are near Chicago you can give mine a drive before you buy anything to see if you would be happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:36 PM   #15
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Looking good! I've been considering the BMS intake as well but just wondering if it's really worth doing if I don't tune it as well.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Bmock17603.50
      03-02-2019, 10:55 PM   #16
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Looking good! I've been considering the BMS intake as well but just wondering if it's really worth doing if I don't tune it as well.
I fully realized beforehand I wasn't going to get anything out of it performance wise, but I love hearing the turbo spool. Maybe it's just because I am new to this whole turbo thing??
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019147.50
      03-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #17
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I fully realized beforehand I wasn't going to get anything out of it performance wise, but I love hearing the turbo spool. Maybe it's just because I am new to this whole turbo thing??
Any chance you can capture a video? I was having trouble finding a good video for the intake on an M40i on YouTube but maybe I just didn't look hard enough.

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #18
Bmock17
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Any chance you can capture a video? I was having trouble finding a good video for the intake on an M40i on YouTube but maybe I just didn't look hard enough.
I can certainly try. Probably won't be until Monday though.
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019147.50
      03-02-2019, 11:28 PM   #19
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can certainly try. Probably won't be until Monday though.
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 12:51 AM   #20
Spoonhead
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Very nice and congrats.

Those wheels are very smart, but they do highlight the wheel arch gap. Any thoughts on lowering?
Bmock17603.50
      03-03-2019, 05:10 AM   #21
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

Great looking car!

I’m sure the environmental factors were high up your list when moving from the huuuge V8 to the I6!!
Appreciate 1
Bmock17603.50
      03-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #22
efisher13
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2019 X3 M 40i  [0.00]
Nice looking car. Looking forward to hearing the exhaust with the BMS as well. As for the mission tune I was hesitant at first and than just pulled the trigger. I haven’t looked back yet, thinking about stage 2 and the trans flash but still haven’t gotten bored with stage 1. Warranty is always a concern and yes you can flash back and yes they probably could find out if they dig deep enough. My biggest worry and still is, what happens if I am away and something happens and I need to flash back and don’t have my laptop. Either way it didn’t stop me and hopefully I never have to find out. Good luck with the car
Appreciate 1
Bmock17603.50