BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
X3JAM
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 30d

Brand New X3 Fuel Leak

So... I collected my brand new X3 30d on 7th February 2019 and I've had quite a few issues with the car:

1. Driving home having just completed the handover with the dealership and the EML illuminates 20 or so miles from the dealership. Returned the following day to be told that the SCR (Ad Blue) system was still in transport mode.

2. Collected the car for a second time and on the journey home the EML illuminates again... back to the dealership and this time they tell me it's the Ad Blue metering valve that is faulty and needs to be replaced. Leave the car with them and they successfully repair it.

3. I've had the car back from the dealership for 14 days and it's now back with them having been recovered yesterday after I spotted a pool of diesel on my driveway. Turns out the return fuel line is damaged and the part is on back order from Germany.

I've started the formal rejection process with BMW Financial Services as I no longer have confidence in the vehicle and very much feel like I've been sold a lemon!

Am I just unlucky or has anyone else experienced problems like this with their new X3s?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow that is not good. Think you have done the best thing by starting the rejection process.I am awaiting delivery and hope I won't have any problems. Hope you have hit them for a decent loaner?.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

The cars are usually well built.....That's definitely a lemon and a fuel leak issue is a VERY big problem and can be dangerous. I'd still try and get a new car and don't let this one deter you from how awesome the X3 is. Good luck man!
      02-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3JAM View Post
So... I collected my brand new X3 30d on 7th February 2019 and I've had quite a few issues with the car:

1. Driving home having just completed the handover with the dealership and the EML illuminates 20 or so miles from the dealership. Returned the following day to be told that the SCR (Ad Blue) system was still in transport mode.

2. Collected the car for a second time and on the journey home the EML illuminates again... back to the dealership and this time they tell me it's the Ad Blue metering valve that is faulty and needs to be replaced. Leave the car with them and they successfully repair it.

3. I've had the car back from the dealership for 14 days and it's now back with them having been recovered yesterday after I spotted a pool of diesel on my driveway. Turns out the return fuel line is damaged and the part is on back order from Germany.

I've started the formal rejection process with BMW Financial Services as I no longer have confidence in the vehicle and very much feel like I've been sold a lemon!

Am I just unlucky or has anyone else experienced problems like this with their new X3s?
That is bad luck sorry to here that, it does sound like they mis-diagnosed it the first time and then possibly caused the problem with the fuel leak the 2nd time repaired?

I think you've done the right thing though with that car but do give the X3 another try, I've been on this forum nearly a year and generally seen very little complaints
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      02-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #5
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Yeah, agreed. Sounds like maybe the 2nd visit caused the other issue(s)?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC3 View Post
The cars are usually well built.....That's definitely a lemon and a fuel leak issue is a VERY big problem and can be dangerous. I'd still try and get a new car and don't let this one deter you from how awesome the X3 is. Good luck man!
This.
Sorry to hear though OP.
      02-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Sorry you are having so many issues on a new vehicle - been there done that it's not fun at all...

I'm not sure what your lemon laws are over there, but here in the US, that wouldn't be considered a lemon until 3 visits for the same thing or they can't fix the issue(s). If they are fixing your issues, I doubt you could lemon it..

Just went through a lemon-law buyback on a Volvo...it's a pita

(My knowledge is only of US/Texas laws so I may be way off if your laws are different)
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:

Turns out the return fuel line is damaged and the part is on back order from Germany.
Sorry to hear these things.

It's sad but true how BMW has everything on backorder.
If the air they put in the tires wasn't free, that would also be on backorder.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Sorry to hear. My 30d, built in South Africa, seems solid after 3 months now.

If you check on newtis.info or realoem.com how complicated the SCR system is, I would say it's likely they created the fuel leak the second time, and that when it is fixed, you should have a great car to live with for a long time!
      02-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
X3JAM
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 30d

Good news. BMW have agreed to take the car back and the dealership is sourcing me a replacement. All in the result that I was looking for.
Appreciate 3
      02-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #11
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Grate result for you, new car coming.
I have noticed on my that ad-blue was showing that 1.5 liter can be added with 10 miles on the clock
someone forgot to top up to full?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Good news. BMW have agreed to take the car back and the dealership is sourcing me a replacement. All in the result that I was looking for.
That's good news! Hope the new car will behave well as expected and give you a fresh start with a proper BMW experience! Enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0