E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Indicator Cancelling

07-24-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
PhilR
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 330d M Sport Auto

Garage List
Smile Indicator Cancelling

After owning my E90 for nearly 18 months I discovered something that made me smile to day -oh what a sad life I must have.

Quite often I have accidentally turned my indicator on for the opposite direction when cancelling the indicator manually by flicking the stalk back to centre and over doing it - happens quite often too.

You know the drill, try and get the 3 flash lane change but press to hard and it stays on so you push the other way and oooops gone to far and winks the other side.....

But today I realised the indicators (when not doing the 3 flash thingy) can be cancelled by pushing the stalk in the same direction as when first activated.

It's only a little thing and I am bound to get loads of you telling me you already knew and have read the handbook......but I thought it was a really good idea - I can recall BMW being criticised for the indicator operation.

Go on try it.......it works

PhilR
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I just discovered this recently too, but I keep forgetting to use it!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
After owning my E90 for nearly 18 months I discovered something that made me smile to day -oh what a sad life I must have.

Quite often I have accidentally turned my indicator on for the opposite direction when cancelling the indicator manually by flicking the stalk back to centre and over doing it - happens quite often too.

You know the drill, try and get the 3 flash lane change but press to hard and it stays on so you push the other way and oooops gone to far and winks the other side.....

But today I realised the indicators (when not doing the 3 flash thingy) can be cancelled by pushing the stalk in the same direction as when first activated.

It's only a little thing and I am bound to get loads of you telling me you already knew and have read the handbook......but I thought it was a really good idea - I can recall BMW being criticised for the indicator operation.

PhilR
I can't believe it took you 18 months

Did you know you can switch the triple turn off if you like as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
dlwhite
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 2007 335xi

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
Everyday on Rt 78 in NJ I see people tackling the indicator issue.
I used to think BMW drivers couldn't make up their mind as to where they wanted to go!
      07-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Kewl - had my e92 for 5 months and didn't know this thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Another good one is the way to cancel local radio traffic reports that suddenly take over your national radio station by using the Up & Down Arrow switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Press ether up or down arrow and you instantly return to your national radio station.

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Another good one is the way to cancel local radio traffic reports that suddenly take over your national radio station by using the Up & Down Arrow switch on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Press ether up or down arrow and you instantly return to your national radio station.
If only there was a way to stop the traffic reports cutting in at deafeningly loud volume when listening to radio 4.

Puts me right off when I'm listening to the Archers of a lunchtime.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
If only there was a way to stop the traffic reports cutting in at deafeningly loud volume when listening to radio 4.

Puts me right off when I'm listening to the Archers of a lunchtime.
Theoretically the volume of traffic reports can be reduced permanently by turning down the volume during a traffic announcement. Not sure it works permanently though in practice. Same with Nav voice.

Tony
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
Theoretically the volume of traffic reports can be reduced permanently by turning down the volume during a traffic announcement. Not sure it works permanently though in practice. Same with Nav voice.

Tony
It doesn't work in practice unfortunately. Mainly because of the difference in volume between radio stations.

So assume you adjust the volume to accord with radio 1. You then switch to radio 4 or aux input and have to turn the radio volume up and when the traffic next kicks in it deafens you.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #10
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You then switch to radio 4 or aux input and have to turn the radio volume up and when the traffic next kicks in it deafens you.
Pardon?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

I think I discovered the indicator trick on the first day I bought the car, and now use it all the time.

In fact, it took me longer to work out how to use the intermittent wipers - pressing the button on the end isn't exactly the obvious thing to do when all the other wiper settings are activated by pushing the stalk up or down.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 02:08 AM   #12
kend
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i SE auto

Quote:
It doesn't work in practice unfortunately. Mainly because of the difference in volume between radio stations.

So assume you adjust the volume to accord with radio 1. You then switch to radio 4 or aux input and have to turn the radio volume up and when the traffic next kicks in it deafens you.
There is a menu place where you can set a seperate volume level for TP announcements. Not sure where it is. This lets you listen to the source at one level and then automatically changes to the annoucement volume when TP is activated. Also useful for travel with passengers radio on but no volume and you still get traffic reports.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 02:31 AM   #13
SeanC
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D SE Coupe 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
I think I discovered the indicator trick on the first day I bought the car, and now use it all the time.

In fact, it took me longer to work out how to use the intermittent wipers - pressing the button on the end isn't exactly the obvious thing to do when all the other wiper settings are activated by pushing the stalk up or down.
What would be really good if the auto wipe mode remembered to stay on when you cycle the ignition.....

Because you can't see the little green LED on the end of the stalk as its hidden by the steering wheel, you forget to turn it back on until it starts to rain....

This can't be changed in iDrive but I wonder if the dealer can program it in?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
What would be really good if the auto wipe mode remembered to stay on when you cycle the ignition.....

Because you can't see the little green LED on the end of the stalk as its hidden by the steering wheel, you forget to turn it back on until it starts to rain....

This can't be changed in iDrive but I wonder if the dealer can program it in?
This would be good up until the day that you started the car and drove off to the car wash with the rainsor active
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Because you can't see the little green LED on the end of the stalk as its hidden by the steering wheel....
This is one thing that annoys me - the fact you can never tell if the rain sensing mode is on or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #16
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post

PhilR
So weird, tried this morning and it doesnt work!?!? Is it because I have a 08 car? If you push the stalk again the same direction nothing happens!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #17
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Works on my '08...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 07:40 AM   #18
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

and mine.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #19
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Another cool one - and probably widely known, is pushing the iDrive knob and holding it, to change to another main screen.

To illustrate: While in Navigation screen:

• Push & hold knob to the Back > Screen changes to Entertainment
• Push & hold knob to the Left > Screen changes to Climate
• Push & hold knob Forward > Screen changes to Communication

• Push & hold knob to the Right > Screen changes back to Navigation

A very quick way to move around!

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #20
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
So weird, tried this morning and it doesnt work!?!? Is it because I have a 08 car? If you push the stalk again the same direction nothing happens!
Just push it a little way.

It's a pressure switch, Light pressure activates the triple turn signal or cancels indication. Pushing further past the pressure point activates the full turn signal.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #21
alcook
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Another cool one - and probably widely known, is pushing the iDrive knob and holding it, to change to another main screen.

To illustrate: While in Navigation screen:

• Push & hold knob to the Back > Screen changes to Entertainment
• Push & hold knob to the Left > Screen changes to Climate
• Push & hold knob Forward > Screen changes to Communication

• Push & hold knob to the Right > Screen changes back to Navigation

A very quick way to move around!
That's new to me!
Saves a single Menu Button press... or an option to saying ''FM''....etc
Appreciate 0