BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
Pete17
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0i M Sport

Ride comfort on 20” over 19” wheels

Hi guys,
Just wondering if there is a lot of difference between the standard 245/50/19 wheels and the 245/45/20 front and 275/40/20 rear wheels with ride comfort on our uk roads. The reason I ask is i did the test drive in one with the standard wheels, but I have the m sports plus pack on the one I have ordered which includes the bigger wheels and I am hoping there is not much difference.
Has anyone any experience on the wear of the Pirelli p zero tyres as well?

Thank you in advance for any info.

Pete
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Hi.

My summer wheels are the 20' with P Zeros. Tyre wear has been ok. Only done about 5k miles on them and 1.2k of that was breaking the car in.

My winters are 19' with Bridgestone Blizzak. Both on run flats.

I feel the ride is a wee bit better on the 19' wheels. I am actually thinking about trying non RFT on the 19' wheels.

But, tbh, it's not a huge difference.

Something else you want to consider is the difference in prices for the 19' and 20' tyres. There are more options available for the 20' - the 19' has limited options.

Have a look on "tyreleader.co.uk". Select the options for "by car". You can then select all the wheel sizes available and see cost and tyre options.

This may help -

https://cars.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres/bmw/x3/x3-3671/

Please let me know if you need anything else. Not sure this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Hi.

My summer wheels are the 20' with P Zeros. Tyre wear has been ok. Only done about 5k miles on them and 1.2k of that was breaking the car in.

My winters are 19' with Bridgestone Blizzak. Both on run flats.

I feel the ride is a wee bit better on the 19' wheels. I am actually thinking about trying non RFT on the 19' wheels.

But, tbh, it's not a huge difference.

Something else you want to consider is the difference in prices for the 19' and 20' tyres. There are more options available for the 20' - the 19' has limited options.

Have a look on "tyreleader.co.uk". Select the options for "by car". You can then select all the wheel sizes available and see cost and tyre options.

This may help -

https://cars.tyreleader.co.uk/tyres/bmw/x3/x3-3671/

Please let me know if you need anything else. Not sure this helps!
Agree with all of this.
I also have 19" Bridgestone winters and 20" staggered Pirelli's, both runflat.
I think I'll try non-rft 20" summers next time, but the Pirelli's seem to be wearing well.

Crucially, will yours have adaptive dampers?
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #4
Pete17
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Hi,
Thank you for your replies. The tyre site is a interesting read. Can I ask you if you notice any difference in road noise between them the two?
The suspension is you the standard with m sports trim.

Pete
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      02-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
MattXYZ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01) M40i, X5 (F15) 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Thanks for that website rbrown! I’ve not come across that before. It indicates a few more options for the 21” other than the Alenzas. That will come in handy when I need to replace tyres!
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      02-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

My winter wheels are 19’s and summers are 20’s, there is a slight difference in comfort and road noise but it’s very subtle, you’d have to drive them back to back to notice it.

Both are non RFT’s of course, if you’re in any way interested in ride comfort and quality then non RFT’s are a must.

tyreleader is just one retailer, better to go on http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk it will show all the tyres available on the market for the given size. They don’t show Camskill’s prices though, so always check them as they’re UK based unlike tyreleader and oponeo.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17 View Post
Hi,
Thank you for your replies. The tyre site is a interesting read. Can I ask you if you notice any difference in road noise between them the two?
The suspension is you the standard with m sports trim.

Pete
No difference in road noise - doesn't seem too bad.

But I have acoustic glass and adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 1
D69GMB463.00
      02-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #8
MarkyM
Major
Rep

If you still have chance and worried about comfort add the Adaptive dampers, I'm sure it helps with the ride on my 20" wheels, certainly no complaints
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      02-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post
If you still have chance and worried about comfort add the Adaptive dampers, I'm sure it helps with the ride on my 20" wheels, certainly no complaints
+1

An option I would try and add.
Appreciate 2
MarkyM381.50
D69GMB463.00
      02-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #10
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
I've got the set up you're describing, 20" 699s with Pirelli PZero RFTs on passive M Sport Suspension.
It's no magic carpet ride air suspension number, but I would say it's better than my 1 series on adaptive with non-RFT MPSS for comfort of me and passengers (including a big isofix car seat in the back which would be rattling like a bugger if the ride was poor) - especially over speed bumps in the city. The cabin is also pretty well sealed on the X3 for tyre noise even though they are RFTs. I know you've test driven on 19", but guess you would also be comparing to whatever your last motor was as well.

I'm only in triple figure mileage so far - so haven't seen whether it gets jittery at autobahn speeds without the adaptive.

Mine was a stock car though - I would have added adaptive as everyone is saying above if it was a build (and you still have a chance)... and the high performance non-RFTs if price wasn't a factor.
No buyers remorse that they aren't there though, it's still pretty easy riding and quiet.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:16 AM   #11
Pete17
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzalad View Post
I've got the set up you're describing, 20" 699s with Pirelli PZero RFTs on passive M Sport Suspension.
It's no magic carpet ride air suspension number, but I would say it's better than my 1 series on adaptive with non-RFT MPSS for comfort of me and passengers (including a big isofix car seat in the back which would be rattling like a bugger if the ride was poor) - especially over speed bumps in the city. The cabin is also pretty well sealed on the X3 for tyre noise even though they are RFTs. I know you've test driven on 19", but guess you would also be comparing to whatever your last motor was as well.

I'm only in triple figure mileage so far - so haven't seen whether it gets jittery at autobahn speeds without the adaptive.

Mine was a stock car though - I would have added adaptive as everyone is saying above if it was a build (and you still have a chance)... and the high performance non-RFTs if price wasn't a factor.
No buyers remorse that they aren't there though, it's still pretty easy riding and quiet.

Hi
Mine is one the dealer had on its way to them, I would not of picked the M Sports Plus Pack but with all the discount it was too good a deal to miss.
My current car Renault Kadjar has 225/45/19 none run flats and does quite well over the bad road surfaces but does have a few creaks from the plastics, the M sport I test drove was differently quieter and did not creak. Looking forward the Saturday when I pick it up.

Pete
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
muzzalad268.50
      02-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzalad View Post

Hi
Mine is one the dealer had on its way to them, I would not of picked the M Sports Plus Pack but with all the discount it was too good a deal to miss.
My current car Renault Kadjar has 225/45/19 none run flats and does quite well over the bad road surfaces but does have a few creaks from the plastics, the M sport I test drove was differently quieter and did not creak. Looking forward the Saturday when I pick it up.

Pete
Enjoy it!

The car is very solid, so don't worry on that front.

The wheels are very pretty, you should be impressed when you see them.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:21 AM   #13
Pete17
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Hi,
Had the car a few days now and have done the normal trips to work🙁 I can say the 20” wheels ride just as well over the pot holes and speed bumps as my old car but without the creaks from the trim.
So if anyone is buying one I can recommend going for 20” wheels they do look good and ride well.
Pete
Appreciate 2