E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blinking Xenon Issue

02-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
apgambino
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E92

Blinking Xenon Issue

Hi All,

I've owned my 07 e90 335i (4/2007 build) for a little over six months now. I have a been a full time lurker on this and other e90 forums, and learned a lot, but I figured its time to join up. So far you folks have helped me fix my washer fluid pump issue, broken folding mirrors, and replace my coils/plugs and all fluids. Thank you so much. I hope someone can help me with this brainbuster. I've poured over the forum universe and can't seem to find anything that lends itself to my situation.

Two months ago I went to move the car into the garage and about 10 seconds after the headlights came on the left side blinked three times (not flickering, it was like turning a normal incandescent bulb off and then on). Right after that I got a Dipped Left Beam Faulty CCID 120 pop up. Now I get the CCID 120 everytime I drive the car and the headlights are turned on, but not if they are forced to off (in "0" position) or don't turn on. Once the CCID pops up the Adaptive Headlights cease to function, which I imagine is by design.

About three weeks after the xenon issue cropped up I got a second CCID 130 which is Right High Beam Failure. This one doesn't make much sense as both halogens work just fine in both DRL mode and as passing lights. As with the above, if I turn off the DRL option or drive at night/don't use the flashing to pass the CCID will not present itself.

Here is what troubleshooting I've done thus far. Left=Drivers side

-Swapped DS1 bulbs from left to right, and right to left. Blinking stays on the left so I thought it must be a ballast.
-Replaced the Left side ballast with new. Verified all connections, blinking still present.
-Replaced both H7 halogens with new, verified connections, still get the CCID. There still is no apparent problem with the Right High Beam. It always works on par with the left.

Here are the codes from FRM:
A8AF
A8AE
9CC5
A8A9
A8AA

At this point I'm beginning to suspect the FRM (I'm pretty sure I have FRM2 based on the build date and I have AE that fade in when I unlock the car, DRL options in KOMBI, etc.) itself, but I am having none to the tell-tale issues that folks have seen (lights staying on, inop windows, etc.) I just went through and tried to check the short counter with TOOL32, but i'm not sure it was successful, even if I did get it to show OKAY and 0. I also just cleared the codes with INPA. Where should I go from here? In the process of swapping the Xenon bulbs, replacing the left ballast, and replacing both high bean halogen bulbs I looked over all the wiring and nothing seems off, and there does not appear to be any water penetration into the headlights themselves.

What am I missing and where should I go from here? Thank you so much in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:21 AM   #2
apgambino
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
ki_soarer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Are the wires inside the headlamps starting to crack and deteriorate? Other than that, it sounds like a software issue in the FRM to me. I would recode if everything else looks good, but that will likely fry your FRM so make sure you are still within the warranty extension from BMW before doing that. Or take it to the dealer. If they program the car and fry the FRM, they would have to cover the replacement to save the PR drama.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
apgambino
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki_soarer View Post
Are the wires inside the headlamps starting to crack and deteriorate? Other than that, it sounds like a software issue in the FRM to me. I would recode if everything else looks good, but that will likely fry your FRM so make sure you are still within the warranty extension from BMW before doing that. Or take it to the dealer. If they program the car and fry the FRM, they would have to cover the replacement to save the PR drama.
Thanks for the reply! I looked them all over when I had both headlights apart and they looked just fine. I'll have to look into the recording process, I've got the tools all set up on my laptop so that shouldn't be an issue. I did find a video on YouTube of a Brit having a similar issue on his 1-series and he ended up finding some corrosion on the FRM itself that he cleaned up with isopropyl alcohol and that seemed to do the trick. Anyone have any experience with that?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
ki_soarer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

How many miles are on your car? You may benefit from the warranty extension on the FRM. I believe it's extended to 156k miles. Although you may be out by time. I cannot remember if its 10 or 12 years on the extension.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
apgambino
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki_soarer View Post
How many miles are on your car? You may benefit from the warranty extension on the FRM. I believe it's extended to 156k miles. Although you may be out by time. I cannot remember if its 10 or 12 years on the extension.
I think it is ten as it did not show up when I ran my VIN on BMWNA warrant website.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
apgambino
United_States
Rep

One last bump to rule them all...does anyone know of a good resource to learn how to use WinKFP to reprogram things such as a bad FRM?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:59 AM   #8
sarge335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

I have the same exact issue on the right of 2008 335i. What was the actual issue and the resolution? Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #9
Ifixitbeemer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i msport coupe

Anyone find the answer to this conundrum?
I have the same problem 2007 coup 325i msport.

Been trying to pinpoint this warning code CC-ID 120 (Low-beam headlight or fog light failed)

When i turn on my main beams the front left side headlight flickers three times and i get the warning on my dash board.

Now the problem went away when i disconnected the negative lead on the battery for a week, which reset the the on board computer VRAM as i kept getting stall's after the car started, once after a day of this the memory reset and the front beam problem returned.

I have replaced the HID headlight ballast which didnt work and also the bulb.

BMW mechanic say he needs days to swap the good lights over and see if its the unit and needs a complete replace.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 12:46 PM   #10
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifixitbeemer View Post
Anyone find the answer to this conundrum?
I have the same problem 2007 coup 325i msport.

Been trying to pinpoint this warning code CC-ID 120 (Low-beam headlight or fog light failed)

When i turn on my main beams the front left side headlight flickers three times and i get the warning on my dash board.

Now the problem went away when i disconnected the negative lead on the battery for a week, which reset the the on board computer VRAM as i kept getting stall's after the car started, once after a day of this the memory reset and the front beam problem returned.

I have replaced the HID headlight ballast which didnt work and also the bulb.

BMW mechanic say he needs days to swap the good lights over and see if its the unit and needs a complete replace.

I would check the main xenon cable too, the one that connects the ballast with the bulb. If one side goes out, when is off and should be on, its a good time to lift that side of the car, remove tire and everything to access the back of the headlight, then remove rear cover and carefully move the cable and see if the light comes back.

Something similar happened to me and thats what I did and was in fact the cable.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 05:18 AM   #11
Ifixitbeemer
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando_e90 View Post
I would check the main xenon cable too, the one that connects the ballast with the bulb. If one side goes out, when is off and should be on, its a good time to lift that side of the car, remove tire and everything to access the back of the headlight, then remove rear cover and carefully move the cable and see if the light comes back.

Something similar happened to me and thats what I did and was in fact the cable.
Thank you its strange as the light works fine except for the three flashes, mechanic said the whole light needs replacing, i think its software.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 12:07 PM   #12
Ifixitbeemer
Registered
Rep

Fixed

This fixed it, had to wipe of the corrosion off with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol on the front footwell module circuit board.

Follow this video.at 15mins 32 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY8JFM8_8XU
Appreciate 0