BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
TXM32B
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Is HD Radio worth it?

For all of you that have the HD Radio option, is it worth getting? How many stations are in HD? Does it sound that much better than regular radio?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

HD stations sound nice. You'll get them around larger cities. It's a relatively cheap upgrade. Go for it
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Is it just local stations that come in HD (around the big cities) or is it comparable to Satellite radio because you can order them in tandem. . .I just need a more detailed break down of it. . .(hasnt been talked about too much on the forums). . .
      07-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
jm1234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jet Black/Tan/SA 6MT

HD is broadcast, which means it comes from a tower and is local. Usually it's paid for by advertisers or "membership" (public radio) but essentially it's a free broadcast unlike satellite. In the Atlanta area many of the stations (I think all the ones I listen to) are broadcast in HD. The broadcast is a little more clear (you can hear that if the stations switches over from analog to HD) but I got HD for the metadata transmitted with the music that allows you to see the song and artist on the radio (or iDrive) while a song is playing. If I like something I can figure out what it is right away without having to wait for the announcer to tell me (which sometimes isn't right away).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_radio
http://www.hdradio.com/

There is a station guide in the second link that will allow you to look up HD stations in your area.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Mack211
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
HD is broadcast, which means it comes from a tower and is local. Usually it's paid for by advertisers or "membership" (public radio) but essentially it's a free broadcast unlike satellite. In the Atlanta area many of the stations (I think all the ones I listen to) are broadcast in HD. The broadcast is a little more clear (you can hear that if the stations switches over from analog to HD) but I got HD for the metadata transmitted with the music that allows you to see the song and artist on the radio (or iDrive) while a song is playing. If I like something I can figure out what it is right away without having to wait for the announcer to tell me (which sometimes isn't right away).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_radio
http://www.hdradio.com/

There is a station guide in the second link that will allow you to look up HD stations in your area.
FYI: You can see the artist and song without the HD radio
      07-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I have the HD radio on the Philly area and love it. The sound is significantly better with HD. Plus many stations transmit a second broadcast on the same freqency which you can select. For example one of the stations I listen to 95% of the time, has a second HD frequency which plays continuous classic rock. On another station here, on FM HD2 they play a simucast of one of the AM talk radio stations here, that does a lot news. The clarity of the AM station broadcast in FM HD is excellent.

Also, many AM stations are now available in HD, and the HD difference on AM is even larger than the difference on FM. If you like listening to sports, talk radio or whatever on AM then there's another selling point.
      07-23-2008, 12:54 AM   #7
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
yeah it sounds great

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
spark146
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I've got HD and agree with the comments: So far, it's a terrific option (particularly the side band and the enhanced AM quality).

Here's a question, though. Am I right that the side bands of FM stations are NOT able to be saved as Presets? I'm not yet fluent on the operation of my radio, but I think the only way to pull up a side band is by tuning to the main station then manually hitting the right arrow button ('>'). Worse: Even if you call up a Preset main station, you can't get the side band by hitting the '>' button. You have to display the screen with the radio 'dial' on it before you can get the side band.

Is my understanding of how it works right? I hope not!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

HD stations are the only ones I am listening too, the sound is awesome go for it...
      08-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Theres loads of HD Radio stations in Seattle, with many having "sub-channels". With one of the Seattle sub-channels, they broadcast the BBC world service 24 hours a day. Although you can get the BBC world service on Satellite radio as well, it sounds so much better on HD Radio.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark146 View Post
I've got HD and agree with the comments: So far, it's a terrific option (particularly the side band and the enhanced AM quality).

Here's a question, though. Am I right that the side bands of FM stations are NOT able to be saved as Presets? I'm not yet fluent on the operation of my radio, but I think the only way to pull up a side band is by tuning to the main station then manually hitting the right arrow button ('>'). Worse: Even if you call up a Preset main station, you can't get the side band by hitting the '>' button. You have to display the screen with the radio 'dial' on it before you can get the side band.

Is my understanding of how it works right? I hope not!
You're correct, unfortunately for whatever reason those side bands, or "sub channels" cannot be saved as a pre-set. Only the main channel. I'm sure this is something thats fixable via a software update if enough people complain to BMW about it.
Appreciate 0