BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport (shadow edition)

X3 M40D - real world MPG?

Evening,

I'm testing an X3 M40D tomorrow, can anyone give me an idea of what the real world MPG is, mixed driving vs around town?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Realistic probably about 32-35. I'm at 38 and climbing though as I've done a lot of Mway EcoPro trips.
      02-14-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, Chris. That's really helpful!

What's it like in Stop/Start traffic?

Just trying to work out the total cost of ownership.

How do you find it generally, fun to drive?

I tested a Macan earlier which gets 40-47MPG, everyone raves of how good they are, I found it quite dull TBH. I couldn't even hear the engine, even in Sport mode and I ragged it. The gear box was smooth but slow-witted. And although I didn't get a chance to drive it in anger, it didn't feel that sharp to drive down a few country roads. I guess it's hard to tell from a 15 min test but I was quite sold on paper, now I'm keen to try the 40d.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Really depends massively on what sort of driving you do, stop start it is a bit less than a 335d, I guess due to the weight, but at constant dual carriageway/motorway speeds it’s easy 45-50mpg, or A road speeds even more than that!
Appreciate 2
Nick34036.00
D69GMB463.00
      02-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Really depends massively on what sort of driving you do, stop start it is a bit less than a 335d, I guess due to the weight, but at constant dual carriageway/motorway speeds it’s easy 45-50mpg, or A road speeds even more than that!
Thanks for response.

I'm not that familiar with 335d, guessing it's late 20's around town though?

I live in Cambridge, UK. So the traffic is a pig most of the time. I do a mix of m/way and stop start, short journeys with a fair bit of traffic. And some spirited country drives, but I've currently got a 340i. So I probably won't go for country drives in the X3. 340i is 16-17mpg around town, low to mid 20's mixed and 30-35mpg on motoroway driving like a f*cking monk, but otherwise, late 20's to early 30s. And about 9mpg if you rag it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick340 View Post
Thanks for response.

I'm not that familiar with 335d, guessing it's late 20's around town though?

I live in Cambridge, UK. So the traffic is a pig most of the time. I do a mix of m/way and stop start, short journeys with a fair bit of traffic. And some spirited country drives, but I've currently got a 340i. So I probably won't go for country drives in the X3. 340i is 16-17mpg around town, low to mid 20's mixed and 30-35mpg on motoroway driving like a f*cking monk, but otherwise, late 20's to early 30s. And about 9mpg if you rag it.
I’d say low 30’s around town, unless you’re booting it from every junction.
Appreciate 1
Nick34036.00
      02-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I’d say low 30’s around town, unless you’re booting it from every junction.

Thanks, Teaston.

Drove a Macan today, found it to be quite un-responsive, laggy gear changes and although everyone raves about the handling, in the short test drive, it wasn't noticeably sharp by any means, but it was very refined and quiet. Perhaps too quiet.

Interested to see how the 40D compares.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Mine is averaging 38.3 which is from a combination of town and motorway. The car is mostly driven smoothly and along with traffic flow... sometimes there is nowhere to go, so just have to go with the flow. When traffic is heavy it’s pointless booting it, so just drive in comfort mode and pretend it’s a limo. Clear roads get a more brisk approach.

On a run oop north, on motorways where speed is limited because of heavy traffic, I can easily get an average of 44 mpg over 250 miles.
Appreciate 2
D69GMB463.00
Nick34036.00
      02-15-2019, 02:31 AM   #9
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
Mine is averaging 38.3 which is from a combination of town and motorway. The car is mostly driven smoothly and along with traffic flow... sometimes there is nowhere to go, so just have to go with the flow. When traffic is heavy it’s pointless booting it, so just drive in comfort mode and pretend it’s a limo. Clear roads get a more brisk approach.

On a run oop north, on motorways where speed is limited because of heavy traffic, I can easily get an average of 44 mpg over 250 miles.
That sounds pretty good.

That sounds very much like my driving style, encouraging, I'll let you know how I get on - on the test.

Thanks for replies!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:57 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Chris. That's really helpful!

What's it like in Stop/Start traffic?

Just trying to work out the total cost of ownership.

How do you find it generally, fun to drive?

I tested a Macan earlier which gets 40-47MPG, everyone raves of how good they are, I found it quite dull TBH. I couldn't even hear the engine, even in Sport mode and I ragged it. The gear box was smooth but slow-witted. And although I didn't get a chance to drive it in anger, it didn't feel that sharp to drive down a few country roads. I guess it's hard to tell from a 15 min test but I was quite sold on paper, now I'm keen to try the 40d.
On the M40D I was quite taken aback by the interior sound, its a very nice bit of ASD giving a petrol V8 sound. Its very subtle in Eco and Comfort but in Sport increases a little in volume....but thank god nothing like the ridiculous ASD in the M cars.

Regarding fun to drive, its early days yet, still running in, I'd say in a straight line yes its cracking fun. I would imagine it would surprise a lot of people with the pace. Unlikely its a car yo would take out just to drive down a country lane but its a great all round package for sure.
      02-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
On the M40D I was quite taken aback by the interior sound, its a very nice bit of ASD giving a petrol V8 sound. Its very subtle in Eco and Comfort but in Sport increases a little in volume....but thank god nothing like the ridiculous ASD in the M cars.

Regarding fun to drive, its early days yet, still running in, I'd say in a straight line yes its cracking fun. I would imagine it would surprise a lot of people with the pace. Unlikely its a car yo would take out just to drive down a country lane but its a great all round package for sure.
I agree, the ASD in the 40d is both subtle and quite natural sounding (muted V8). And, for the type of vehicle it is, it’s quite an impressive drive. As you say, it’s a great all-round package. I particularly like it’s dual personality... it goes from hushed, civilised limo to scalded cat in a second.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #12
mattchops
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I'm jealous you guys get the diesel. I would have loved if that was an option in the US. Anyone want to trade motors?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      02-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchops View Post
I'm jealous you guys get the diesel. I would have loved if that was an option in the US. Anyone want to trade motors?
It’s funny, I had a degree of regret when I first got my 40d thinking that should’ve got the i, instead. All I can say now is that with the improved refinement of the diesel, the wonderful rush of torque, and the economy makes me happy that I got the d. If I was going back to a car, or coupé, I’d definitely choose petrol, just because I think it suits the type of vehicle better.
Appreciate 2
muzzalad268.50
D69GMB463.00
      02-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #14
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

Over 17000miles clocked and I have an average of 14.6. 60 city 40 highway.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I really liked it.

The styling extras just make it feel a little bit more special and less 4x4 people carrier-ish.

The engine is much more punchy, revvy and aggressive than the Macan, I'm so surprised Porsche didn't do a hot diesel version. It's not quite as fast as my 340i obviously but I did find myself accidentally racking up a fair bit of pace the naughty side of 70 when I first hit the m/way off the slip road. And even had the customary d*ck in a GTI chasing me.

I took it through a few round about sections at a fair pace in Plus mode, it has plenty of grip could feel the TCS tapping in which got in the way a bit, be interested to know what it feels like with it all off. Certinly there is plenty of mechanical grip and it didn't feel as big and wallowy as I would have expected.

I could definitely live with it.

The one I was looking at was £59k with options etc and they offered me quite a good deal, but by the time I get out of my 340 early, it's still pretty painful. If I could have got into this 7 months ago I think I'd go for it.

But I'm not sure its attractive enough to get me to part with the 340.

Will sleep on it.

Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      02-15-2019, 12:29 PM   #16
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I really liked it.

The styling extras just make it feel a little bit more special and less 4x4 people carrier-ish.

The engine is much more punchy, revvy and aggressive than the Macan, I'm so surprised Porsche didn't do a hot diesel version. It's not quite as fast as my 340i obviously but I did find myself accidentally racking up a fair bit of pace the naughty side of 70 when I first hit the m/way off the slip road. And even had the customary d*ck in a GTI chasing me.

I took it through a few round about sections at a fair pace in Plus mode, it has plenty of grip could feel the TCS tapping in which got in the way a bit, be interested to know what it feels like with it all off. Certinly there is plenty of mechanical grip and it didn't feel as big and wallowy as I would have expected.

I could definitely live with it.

The one I was looking at was £59k with options etc and they offered me quite a good deal, but by the time I get out of my 340 early, it's still pretty painful. If I could have got into this 7 months ago I think I'd go for it.

But I'm not sure its attractive enough to get me to part with the 340.

Will sleep on it.

Thanks for the feedback!
If there's negative equity on the 340 now might not be the time.

At least you have had a good look over it now. My fuel costs have plummeted and I didn't go to a fuel station this week.

Feels weird, but I'm a great way!
      02-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Slightly O/T, but my X3 M40i is so much better than my F31 340i in every way.

More spacious, quieter, more confortable, sounds better, much more fun to drive, just better in every respect... except fuel consumption, which is slightly worse (and totally worth it).
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 2
Nick34036.00
Rbrown2765.50
      02-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post

More spacious, quieter, more confortable, sounds better, much more fun to drive, just better in every respect... except fuel consumption, which is slightly worse (and totally worth it).
Gxx is a big step up from Fxx!
Appreciate 2
Nick34036.00
Rbrown2765.50
      02-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #19
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Thanks, Teaston.

Drove a Macan today, found it to be quite un-responsive, laggy gear changes and although everyone raves about the handling, in the short test drive, it wasn't noticeably sharp by any means, but it was very refined and quiet. Perhaps too quiet.

Interested to see how the 40D compares.
I toast mine pretty much every opportunity I get. Although after my M60 experience the other week when the (supposedly, only) traffic flow cameras flashed me doing 95 when there were no signs active I'm getting a bit nervous about big brother*.

I'm getting between 35.2-35.4 max. Although I have not reset since day one (i'm a data hoarder) so maybe after run in it's better. But I just can't seem to hit the reset option, yet.

* - I read up after my incident that certain areas are allowing motorway traffic flow cameras to fire even when there is no speed limit restriction. I guess the old addage "never be the fastest car around" holds true more now. It's hard breaking a habit though when all lanes are free late at night.
Appreciate 1
Nick34036.00
      02-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #20
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post

Lovely car, I did look at quite a few youtube reviews of it when I was in my decision phase of the 340i but it was still very expensive. And I got a 3 month old 340 Demonstrator with a lot of kit for 35% of list price.

Surely the M40i doesn't sound better than MPPSK?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #21
Nick340
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If there's negative equity on the 340 now might not be the time.

At least you have had a good look over it now. My fuel costs have plummeted and I didn't go to a fuel station this week.

Feels weird, but I'm a great way!
Normally I would agree, waiting out NEquity would be the way to go.

I'm just nervous that this model is about to take a big hit after the new reg in March and if additional over supply is released. Currently £27k trade in against £32.5k purchase in June and 13k miles on the clock isn't actually that bad IMO.

However, I've decided to keep, dump a bit more equity into the PCP via an 0% credit card transfer and reduce the payments right down, it reduces the interest by £2k over full term.

The economics of a 30D X3 added up, but the 40D even with a generous discount from the dealer didn't. I'll keep tracking them though.

And I'll have another look at the residuals at the end of the summer prior to the September Reg.

Thanks again everyone for quick responses, was really helpful!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      02-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #22
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
Quote:
Surely the M40i doesn't sound better than MPPSK?
Sadly not... yet. But then the MPPSK is a modification, so an exhaust change on the M40i may yield even better results.
Certainly the stock M40i sounds much better than the stock 340i.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0