E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got my new helmet tonight.

03-23-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Got my new helmet tonight.

My wife picked out the smiley. She thinks this place is so cute.

Anyway, it's an HJC CL-15. It kinda looks Mystic Blue. I guess I'll have to get my 335i in Mystic. It's Snell M2005. It cost me $121. I'll be lucky to use it twice a year.

I have a driver school coming up next month so I just ordered it through my local motorcycle shop last week.

At the shop they had several HJC M2000 on the rack that were made in 2003 and were selling for $130 and up. I tried them on for size and had them order me a newer model in XL. It was cheaper and the snell rating will last longer, so I am stoked. Plus I didn't get stuck with a black or white helmet -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

Lastly the fit is pretty good. I went with a closed face because the open-face model really made me feel top-heavy -- like a bobble-head doll. This feels much more balanced.

It hit me a little funny in the forehead, so I peeled back the liner (it's removable and hand-washable) and mushed the styrofoam corner ever so slightly. It fits much better. Also the salesman said it'd wear in about a half size and I could wear it on the couch to break it in. I wore it tonight while I changed the fish tank water.

Sorry this post was so long. I just wanted to share my experience.

noflash

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

If I had a helmet, I'd wear it everytime I got in a car or scooter.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
england1987
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
If I had a helmet, I'd wear it everytime I got in a car or scooter.
That would be funny to see someone driving down the street with a helmet on. There would be a lot of rubberneckers, including myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
roppongicorolla
all systems are go
Rep
Drives: 325i SG SPP

When you get into/out of the car you have to be careful. A helmet is only good for one impact, you don't want that to be when you get in/out of the car. It's probably best to put it on after you're seated, if you can.

One thing you'll notice when you get into a car with your helmet on (as opposed to riding a bike) is that it's hot, since the air isn't forced in through the vents. You'll also notice that the helmet blocks out a lot of the sound, and cuts down your peripheral vision. It's a good idea wearing it while you're at home so you get used to all these things. Yeah, your spouse/GF will look at you funny, but you need to get used to wearing the thing before you go to the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Arctic 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roppongicorolla
... You'll also notice that the helmet blocks out a lot of the sound, ....
How much noise is there from other cars in real racing? I remember when racing RC cars that there was SO much noise, I couldn't hear my own RC car, and that threw me off.

I still don't like to have the music up loud when driving hard..I'm used to hearing the RPMs.

Curious...
18000 miles...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roppongicorolla
When you get into/out of the car you have to be careful. A helmet is only good for one impact, you don't want that to be when you get in/out of the car. It's probably best to put it on after you're seated, if you can.

One thing you'll notice when you get into a car with your helmet on (as opposed to riding a bike) is that it's hot, since the air isn't forced in through the vents. You'll also notice that the helmet blocks out a lot of the sound, and cuts down your peripheral vision. It's a good idea wearing it while you're at home so you get used to all these things. Yeah, your spouse/GF will look at you funny, but you need to get used to wearing the thing before you go to the track.
I have read that SA2005 helmets are good for one good impact and M2005 are good for a few good impacts. If hitting my head getting in the car is that one good impact, I think we are all in trouble. Still that is good advice about putting in on in the car.

Also, hopefully with the windows down (and sunroof open) I won't get too hot. But, I imagine I will have to wash the liner after a long day at the track.

Yes, it does cut down on your senses. Luckily there is less traffic on the track. I will be careful.

And I am wearing it at work right now. I am getting funny looks, but I hear a lot less of the dorks in the next cubilcle.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
I have read that SA2005 helmets are good for one good impact and M2005 are good for a few good impacts. If hitting my head getting in the car is that one good impact, I think we are all in trouble. Still that is good advice about putting in on in the car.

Also, hopefully with the windows down (and sunroof open) I won't get too hot. But, I imagine I will have to wash the liner after a long day at the track.

Yes, it does cut down on your senses. Luckily there is less traffic on the track. I will be careful.

And I am wearing it at work right now. I am getting funny looks, but I hear a lot less of the dorks in the next cubilcle.
The other (for me biggest) issue with wearing a helmet in a car is it reduces the amount of free movement for your head when driving. You have perhaps 2" less headroom in all directions, so your head is further forward, may push on the roof of the car, and can't move as close to the window as before.

When driving Mustangs with interior rollbars at a driving school, this effect was even more pronounced.

The end result was that I wound up getting sick to my stomach for the first few laps, as I just couldn't move my head with the car to the same degree I was used to. I've heard this is common, and it's something I would be aware of.

On a motorcycle I have no such issue, because there's a lot more ventilation and I can move my head freely, but it really bothered me the first time I wore a helmet on a race track. I didn't notice it until we started pushing the cars hard.

--gos
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I'll have to give it a few practice laps around the block.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

don't worry about dinking the helmet on the way in/out

your head's going to be safe due to your E90

Helmets don't really cut down your peripheral, and the sound doesn't get cut down nearly as much as some think

They're designed for motorcylcists, who need to see and hear to stay alive
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Skullcaps aren't allowed in them auto x's?