BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
B_M_VV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

EV for M?

Since BMW just announced X3M, I have a question that I have thought for some time but haven't found answer to myself yet. I post here instead in X3M forum because it is a generic question and there are more people visiting here.

I think most performance SUV buyers are not going to go track often, if any. There also could be warranty clause to forbid track driving. So, for performance SUV, acceleration is more important than top speed as most countries have speed limit on all roads. EV has big advantage over gas model on acceleration, although EV is difficult to achieve high top speed. I wonder why most manufacturers haven't switched to EV yet for performance SUVs.

Handling is not much related power train so it is unlikely a disadvantage of EV. Cost is also a smaller problem for EV on performance models since high-end engines are expensive. Exciting sound can be made if needed (actually many people want to turn off ASD).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:50 AM   #2
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

I guess it's in the pipe.
The G05 45e should be nice when it comes. B58 + electric...
And I assume iX3 will have great acceleration, but no high top speed. Only a year away.
      02-13-2019, 02:31 AM   #3
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Weight distribution should favour electric as well. A smaller engine weight but large battery weight that can be distributed as low as possible at the floor of the car.

What I don't get with the X3M is why they insist on having the big glass sun roof and not a carbon fiber roof option like m3 gets. That would substantially reduce weight and center of gravity which should be very important for a sporty SAV.

Electric is coming for sure but at the moment a lot of people still want the brute force and sound of fossil fuel engines. At least I do.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4742.00
      02-13-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Its coming for sure.

Quick someone Patent register...ready for this....wait....wait...

'BMW ///Me'

You're welcome
      02-13-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

There are many factors to consider, and different people will give you different views. For me, range anxiety is still real. I know I can find gas (petrol) stations just about anywhere in US, but not charging stations. If you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere, you can call for help asking roadside assistance to deliver you enough gas to get you back to civilization. If you are stuck in a EV, can you call for someone to deliver you a fully charged battery? :

Also, people here don't like ASD in general, but I can't tell you how many threads in this forums are devoted to people having exhaust mod and appreciate the exhaust music from the outside. Can't get that in any EV. If they create artificial sound for EV (which I'm against unless it's a low level warning to pedestrians) then it's just another form of ASD.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
chicagofan0019147.50
      02-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I want to hear the engine and exhaust noise but maybe that's just me.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
B_M_VV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogren View Post
I guess it's in the pipe.
The G05 45e should be nice when it comes. B58 + electric...
And I assume iX3 will have great acceleration, but no high top speed. Only a year away.
X3 will only have new 30e version based on news so far. New 45e version will be great.

It seems BMW purposely leaves the fuel door on iX3 concept pictures, maybe it will have a range extender version. That may be even better than 45e.
Appreciate 1
nogren327.00
      02-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
B_M_VV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
There are many factors to consider, and different people will give you different views. For me, range anxiety is still real. I know I can find gas (petrol) stations just about anywhere in US, but not charging stations. If you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere, you can call for help asking roadside assistance to deliver you enough gas to get you back to civilization. If you are stuck in a EV, can you call for someone to deliver you a fully charged battery? :

Also, people here don't like ASD in general, but I can't tell you how many threads in this forums are devoted to people having exhaust mod and appreciate the exhaust music from the outside. Can't get that in any EV. If they create artificial sound for EV (which I'm against unless it's a low level warning to pedestrians) then it's just another form of ASD.
Maybe range anxiety is an important factor. Probably the problem will be solved by iX3M Rex later.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #9
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

If you ever get the chance to drive a Tesla, do it just for the experience. It’s a whole different scenario to a combustion engined vehicle! As nice as it is to hear the sound of a rorty engine and exhaust note, in a Tesla you’ll marvel over how quiet it is. I’d never experienced anything like it before... I turned off the radio just so I could wallow in virtual silence as I wafted along.

Anyway... I digressed form what I was going to say. As said, EV will be everywhere, eventually, but the way I see it, do I want to drive a car with an engine which has benefitted from decades and decades of development and refinement, and is pretty much at its peak of perfection, or would I want to drive an EV which have only been available for the blink of an eye? As much as I liked driving my brother-in-laws Tesla, they still need a lot more developing before I’d invest. One day...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
B_M_VV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
If you ever get the chance to drive a Tesla, do it just for the experience. It’s a whole different scenario to a combustion engined vehicle! As nice as it is to hear the sound of a rorty engine and exhaust note, in a Tesla you’ll marvel over how quiet it is. I’d never experienced anything like it before... I turned off the radio just so I could wallow in virtual silence as I wafted along.

Anyway... I digressed form what I was going to say. As said, EV will be everywhere, eventually, but the way I see it, do I want to drive a car with an engine which has benefitted from decades and decades of development and refinement, and is pretty much at its peak of perfection, or would I want to drive an EV which have only been available for the blink of an eye? As much as I liked driving my brother-in-laws Tesla, they still need a lot more developing before I’d invest. One day...
I have test-driven several EVs and I was really looking forward to getting one.
But there is no new EV SUV (AWD) at $50K or below price range yet, so I got a X3 30i first to continue the waiting.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_M_VV View Post
I have test-driven several EVs and I was really looking forward to getting one.
But there is no new EV SUV (AWD) at $50K or below price range yet, so I got a X3 30i first to continue the waiting.
Yes, they are exxy. My B-I-L’s P100D was silly money; about £130k!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:47 AM   #12
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux700 View Post
How long did you last listening to the sounds of stones hitting the underneath before turning the radio back on?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      02-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #13
deladude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Personally range anxiety is still a big problem with EVs. Especially in cold climates where I've read reports of range loss of up to 40% being normal across EV brands.

Aside from that an EV platform would bring huge handling benefits which would be very welcome in the SUV segment. Though at the end of the day I still like the noise of a ICE. I gave up my manual gearbox with this car, I'm not ready to give up the exhaust note too!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #14
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
How long did you last listening to the sounds of stones hitting the underneath before turning the radio back on?
It was quite some time... probably because it was so novel. Never driven anything so quiet before. Like I say, not for me yet, I’ll wait for the future...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:31 AM   #15
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

One problem with EVs that are not discussed that much, is that there is no one size fits all. Even though many governments thinks so, with tax benefits or other means.

For some people, like here up north. Remote. Cold. A small Diesel engine is not only what people prefer, but better for the environment.
For some city people, with driving habits that suite a light EV with small batteries, a Leaf or Zoe style is best.

For me, with a mix, a PHEV would be best. With rather small batteries.

And then Tesla, for the show offs. :-)
With a few different sizes of batteries. As small as possible.
      02-15-2019, 03:43 AM   #16
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep

only thing probably going to get me to switch will be the Taycan. I love my x3 though.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #17
B_M_VV
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
only thing probably going to get me to switch will be the Taycan. I love my x3 though.
Why cannot iX3 switch you? Too similar to X3?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #18
VTX3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

I had been thinking my M40i is the last ICE equipped car I'll own. I'm not so sure anymore. Thinking an LCI X3M and a Taycan sounds very, very nice. Best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0