BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
moth247
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3 xDrive20d M Sport

Garage List
Exhaust smoke

I've had my xDrive20d M Sport 7 months today. Loving it overall until the drive home from work today when I thought I spotted black smoke in my rear view mirror belching out of the exhausts. Checked the rear dash cam when I got home and there it was, hopefully the embedded video illustrates the issue.

I've had diesels for the last 10 years and have never had a problem. Is this a air/fuel ratio problem or a sign of something more serious? Would like some advice before I contact the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
As your car will have a DPF - I don’t think you should ever really see black smoke out of the exhausts!
Is car standard or tuned with remap or tuning box?
Cheers
Steve
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Jurgen Belgium
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 m40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth247 View Post
I've had my xDrive20d M Sport 7 months today. Loving it overall until the drive home from work today when I thought I spotted black smoke in my rear view mirror belching out of the exhausts. Checked the rear dash cam when I got home and there it was, hopefully the embedded video illustrates the issue.

I've had diesels for the last 10 years and have never had a problem. Is this a air/fuel ratio problem or a sign of something more serious? Would like some advice before I contact the dealer.
I think it is regenerating at that very moment,or does it smoke all the time?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
moth247
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX3M40i View Post
Hi,
As your car will have a DPF - I don't think you should ever really see black smoke out of the exhausts!
Is car standard or tuned with remap or tuning box?
Cheers
Steve
It's standard, 7k miles on the clock and I religiously observed the break in routine.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
moth247
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Belgium View Post
Quote:

The video clip was on kick down in comfort mode. It doesn't smoke all the time as far as I can tell from the dash cam footage.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Belgium View Post
Quote:

The video clip was on kick down in comfort mode. It doesn't smoke all the time as far as I can tell from the dash cam footage.
It should not smoke black ever. Have it checked.