BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-09-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 x30i

Driving assistant plus - does it disengage completely?

I have a question on the Driving Assistant plus functionality. What will happen if the car is put on Steering and Lane assist i.e. semi autonomous driving mode and the driver leaves the steering and does not take over despite the warnings given by the car to take over? As per the manual and what I have read on the internet, it seems that the system will disengage. However, I once wanted to try the same on a motorway, and after repeated warnings and beeps when I did not take over the steering, the car pulsed the brake so as to jolt the driver. I was not expecting that. At that time, there was no other car around me and it was a straight stretch of the road. I took over the steering immediately and the car it resumed assisted driving in an instance.

I understand that it's a safety feature and should not be relied on for the car to drive itself entirely. The case in point is what will happens in case the driver gets involved in a medical emergency? Can this system help? I have seen in some VAG cars, that in such situation, can jolt the driver by pulsing brakes, actually change lanes to come to the slower lane (along with switching on indicators for lane change) and come to a compete stop switching on hazard lights and informing emergency services. Given this is only a software feature, I feel it should be available on all cars having required hardware (i.e. radars and cameras).
Appreciate 0