E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Anyone know what Ontario Cali is like?

07-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Anyone know what Ontario Cali is like?

I have an opportunity for a very nice promotion with my company. We are a multi national with sites all over the US Canda Mexico and also some Euro and Asian countries as well.

Anyway the base of operations for this particular job would be out of Ontario California.

I know nothing about it or the area. I have been to Cali a few times. San Diego, LA, San Fran. I know San Diego is not far from Ontario, but I dont know anything about that area or where a good place to live would be thats not far from the beach but also not far from work.

Can anyone from Southern California help me out.

I havent accepted anything yet, I am just in the beginning of the process right now, since its a pretty big move to the other side of the country for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
      07-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
sfury
Dammit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR

well its about a lil over a good hour away (east) from Los Angeles. id say its pretty remote but it does have a huge developement there. Alot of new communities/homes but ill bet alot of foreclosures too. i usually conisder this the edge of town before I hit mountain/desert on my way to vegas.

Oh yea forgot to mention, It friggin hot there!
07 e92 335i 6MT - Tuned + catless (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfury View Post
well its about a lil over a good hour away (east) from Los Angeles. id say its pretty remote but it does have a huge developement there. Alot of new communities/homes but ill bet alot of foreclosures too. i usually conisder this the edge of town before I hit mountain/desert on my way to vegas.

Oh yea forgot to mention, It friggin hot there!
What is close that is a good place to live, I am younger (not 21 lol) and single currently so I would like a place where there is a little night life and I can meet some people.

Foreclosures are great!! Best way to pick up some nice property. Although I may rent at first because the company will set that all up and pay a nice part for the move and to see if I like it.
      07-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #4
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Well Ontario isn't a bad place at all . . . I don't know what you're used to in NJ but is pretty closed to everything here in CA. Also, its closer to LA than San Diego.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPaulBaiLeyx View Post
Well Ontario isn't a bad place at all . . . I don't know what you're used to in NJ but is pretty closed to everything here in CA. Also, its closer to LA than San Diego.
Ok, I am not a big LA fan its ok, but I am more laid back trying to get away from high maintenance people lol. Where I live in NJ (Princeton) I am basically an hour from everything, NYC, Philly and my favorite beach are all about 60 miles or less away so I am really centrally located.
      07-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
What is close that is a good place to live, I am younger (not 21 lol) and single currently so I would like a place where there is a little night life and I can meet some people.

Foreclosures are great!! Best way to pick up some nice property. Although I may rent at first because the company will set that all up and pay a nice part for the move and to see if I like it.
WoW! Dude, if you're that young you have to take this chance! Nothing to lose. it will be a cool change of pace. And Ontario is a nice place to live. Everything new there and in the surrounding areas
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, I am not a big LA fan its ok, but I am more laid back trying to get away from high maintenance people lol. Where I live in NJ (Princeton) I am basically an hour from everything, NYC, Philly and my favorite beach are all about 60 miles or less away so I am really centrally located.
OK well that is pretty much exactly how this will be minus the climate change. . . But you're off out of the big cities but just about an hour away from all the huge tourist spots and everything. . . You're about an hour away from Hollywood/LA area and Orange County and the Beaches.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
http://www.ci.ontario.ca.us/
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
WoW! Dude, if you're that young you have to take this chance! Nothing to lose. it will be a cool change of pace. And Ontario is a nice place to live. Everything new there and in the surrounding areas
I said not 21 lol! I am 30, but yea I am still younger I guess maybe not like on this board though.

What is the housing market like pricing wise?

Just for an example I have a 4000 sq colonial with slightly over an acre of land. I dont need anything nearly that big but what would something like that run in that area.
      07-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario,_California

http://www.citytowninfo.com/places/california/ontario

I would really jump on this chance if i were you. How old are you exactly?
What profession are you in?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario,_California

http://www.citytowninfo.com/places/california/ontario

I would really jump on this chance if i were you. How old are you exactly?
What profession are you in?
Im in government sales, but this would be an ebusiness position which I have a large background in as well. Our company is trying to pump our ebiz sales from 1 billion to over 4 billion in the next year and a half so its a big area of expansion within the organization.
      07-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I said not 21 lol! I am 30, but yea I am still younger I guess maybe not like on this board though.

What is the housing market like pricing wise?

Just for an example I have a 4000 sq colonial with slightly over an acre of land. I dont need anything nearly that big but what would something like that run in that area.
Oh damn! You have a huge house there!!!
And right now the market is horrible for sellers but. .. amazing for buyers. I;m sure you can grab a great foreclosure.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

I'd think twice about a move to Ontario. I would not live in the Inland Empire for any reason. It's incredibly hot and smoggy. The wind pattern is from the west, therefore all the crap from the LA basin flows over to Ontario. The air has a metallic taste. I used to have to go there twice a week for three months to work on a project, and I couldn't believe how bad it was.

I'd consider living in Pasadena (esp South Pasadena) and commuting to Ontario. You can take Metrolink. Or, perhaps up in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mtns. But you'll still be stuck with bad air.

Ontario has very little personality and (like a lot of SoCal) is just one mall and freeway after another. Sorry, but it's not a place I'd go out of choice.

San Diego is far from Ontario. Don't forget the freeways are jammed and any drive will take up plenty of time, stress and aggravation. You'll rarely get to the beach if you live in Ontario.

I personally wouldn't give up Princeton NJ for Ontario CA.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
I'd think twice about a move to Ontario. I would not live in the Inland Empire for any reason. It's incredibly hot and smoggy. The wind pattern is from the west, therefore all the crap from the LA basin flows over to Ontario. The air has a metallic taste. I used to have to go there twice a week for three months to work on a project, and I couldn't believe how bad it was.

I'd consider living in Pasadena (esp South Pasadena) and commuting to Ontario. You can take Metrolink. Or, perhaps up in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mtns. But you'll still be stuck with bad air.

Ontario has very little personality and (like a lot of SoCal) is just one mall and freeway after another. Sorry, but it's not a place I'd go out of choice.

San Diego is far from Ontario. Don't forget the freeways are jammed and any drive will take up plenty of time, stress and aggravation. You'll rarely get to the beach if you live in Ontario.

I personally wouldn't give up Princeton NJ for Ontario CA.
Thanks for the update. This is what I am working out right now, if I would have to actually go to Ontario often. I am not sure about that yet because like many positions on the revenue side of our business we work out of our houses. We have to be resonably close to the target area but may not have to go there often.

I just never heard of Ontario so before I even gave to much interest to the offer I wanted to do my realestate homework.

If they come back and say that I will be traveling the west coast on projects (flying instead of driving which happens) I will probably move to San Diego.

Its all very new and up in the air, but I had always thought about a move to Cali if a decent enough offer came my way.
      07-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep

Garage List
Damn. . . not too sure if its just because i live here but. . . I would not move to San Diego. . . I love it here in Orange County and not sure i would want to live anywhere else. San Diego is too far south and still has really really bad traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 01:25 PM   #16
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Thanks for the update. This is what I am working out right now, if I would have to actually go to Ontario often. I am not sure about that yet because like many positions on the revenue side of our business we work out of our houses. We have to be resonably close to the target area but may not have to go there often.

I just never heard of Ontario so before I even gave to much interest to the offer I wanted to do my realestate homework.

If they come back and say that I will be traveling the west coast on projects (flying instead of driving which happens) I will probably move to San Diego.

Its all very new and up in the air, but I had always thought about a move to Cali if a decent enough offer came my way.
If that's the case (that you do not have to actually be in Ontario often) than consider it. Many people commute long distances on a regular basis and if you won't have to, that's a bonus. You could easily live anywhere in the vicinity. There is also Metrolink, Amtrak, and the Surfliner (San Diego.)

The nicest thing about San Diego is the weather. It is the quintessential California beach town, which can get a bit tired, however. But the air is sweet nectar (as long as you're not inland too far.)

I retired early (way early!) and we are considering La Jolla or way up north in Marin County. La Jolla is pricey (like Princeton) but it's a real town (like Princeton) with glorious summer weather (not hot) and delicious fresh air. The University next door is an added benefit for cultural events. You can catch the Surfliner or Amtrak from the Solano Beach station to LA and elsewhere.

As far as traffic in San Diego (as another poster mentioned), yes there's traffic (hey, it's SoCal.) But it's primarily on the 5 heading north. If you are not having to be at work at the same time as everyone else, then you simply avoid rush hour. La Jolla gets a bit crowded from Torrey Pines, but again it's only during certain hours.

You should take a few days off and make another visit. Rent a car and take a look around.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #17
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

San Diego is a better choice than Ontario.. I think it would be a 90 mile commute, if you don't have to be in Ontario every day, the it's doable...
Never underestimate the traffic on the 15 though !!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #18
bigslickak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d sedan

You don't have to necessarily move to Ontario itself, in fact, I would not recommend that. There are 20 million people living within 100 miles of Ontario, so a nice area within commuting distance is easy to find. I would suggest North Orange County, like Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, Brea, etc. Those are about 30 mile commutes one way. Decent Inland Empire areas like Corona, Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga are only 5-20 miles away.

Either way, the beach, the mountains, LA, San Diego, the desert are all within 30 min-2 hour drive.

A 4000 sq ft house on one acre will run you between 700k-1.5 mil depending on location, and that might be conservative. Closer to Ontario, in like Rancho Cucamonga, it's probably around 700k-800k for that. In Orange County, you're looking at 1.5 mil for that. Generally speaking, the more inland you get, the housing prices drop. For perspective, I own a 1300 sq ft condo in South Orange County and it's worth about 400k right now (and falling ).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #19
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslickak View Post
You don't have to necessarily move to Ontario itself, in fact, I would not recommend that. There are 20 million people living within 100 miles of Ontario, so a nice area within commuting distance is easy to find. I would suggest North Orange County, like Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills, Brea, etc. Those are about 30 mile commutes one way. Decent Inland Empire areas like Corona, Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga are only 5-20 miles away.

Either way, the beach, the mountains, LA, San Diego, the desert are all within 30 min-2 hour drive.

A 4000 sq ft house on one acre will run you between 700k-1.5 mil depending on location, and that might be conservative. Closer to Ontario, in like Rancho Cucamonga, it's probably around 700k-800k for that. In Orange County, you're looking at 1.5 mil for that. Generally speaking, the more inland you get, the housing prices drop. For perspective, I own a 1300 sq ft condo in South Orange County and it's worth about 400k right now (and falling ).
Got ya thanks. Thats kind of what it costs around here 750-800 range in my neighborhood, but since I am by myself I am thinking of just getting a really sweet apartment as long as it has a garage to work in Hell for what my mortgage is now I could get a really nice place with money to spare and just invest in other things.

Lots of things to think about, I guess I really need to find out more about the deal and see what is going on after that.

Only think I know about the OC is the TV show but it looks nice lol!
      07-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #20
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

its kinda boring but its a nice little town
      07-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #21
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep