THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Dealer Nightmare - what would you do?

02-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
Black_Sapphire
Rep
Drives: M240i

Hi guys,

I have a M240 that I got from a BMW in SoCal and some guy open the door into my quarter panel and dented it.

I took it to the dealer since his wife ironically works there to get the dent repaired. The service advisor and I talked about paintless dent repair since they would likely repaint if I go through insurance and the dent was small enough. So, I left my car with the dealer to remove the dent through their body shop.

Long story short, when the car was "ready" after a week (which is odd for paintless dent repair) they took my car through the car wash to "remove repair debris" when I specifically said not too on the phone and my BMW paperwork, which ultimately winded up scratching my car all over the hood. Then they kept having to detail out the scratches and kept putting more on which went on for 2 more weeks.

Ultimately when I finally picked up my car after a month of back and forth, I then saw there was a gap between the quarter panel and tail light and the tail light was scratched. They replaced my tail light.

Last weekend I saw there was clear coat missing along my entire quarter panel (on top of my car from back window to windshield), heavy orange peel along the side window, and in some areas I can see bare metal tape lines between my quarter panel and trim parts (signs of a shitty paint job). They brought the paint meter out and confirmed the thickness on the panel was 35 mills when the other side is 5 mills thick. They told me the quarter panel was actually repainted to get the dent out and they did not tell me prior to the work being done or after I picked it up. I find it sketch they repainted my quarter panel and scratched. my tail light. I feel like they should have told me about repainting or at least ask for my approval? Seems like they may have damaged it and tried to hide the fact.

Would you be as pissed as I am? Basically I want out of this lease because if I was going to buy the car the resale is shot and the paint work is crap/will only get worse over time.

Pics of the damages done in dealers possession and the original dent below for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by Black_Sapphire; 02-03-2019 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Yes, I would be pissed. Thankfully it is a lease, and you can dump it at the end. If you can get out of the lease and order a replacement that would be the best outcome, but I doubt they will go along w/ that. Worth a try though.

Just a question here, if you know you want to keep the car long term (buy at the end of the lease), why not just buy a new car. I was told by my Sales Manager (who is as honest a the day is long), told me Lease makes sense if you want to dump a car every 3 years. If you plan to keep for 4 years or longer, buy the car.

Oh, I'd also find another body shop for future use.

I have a piece of paper in my car's glove box that says: "DO NOT WAS CAR". Each service visit, it get set out on my console. I have yet to get a dealership wash job.
Their hourly wash crew are happy and I'm happy (plus I get my car back quicker)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
Black_Sapphire
Rep

Thanks for your feedback! I actually didn't buy the car because I didn't know how much I would like it and figured it I lease to buy that could be an option to try it out.

Yeah, I have my dealer paperwork specifically state to not wash my car yet they did regardless since there was "repair debris" on the car from the repaint work I didn't approve. So they freaking repainted my car and washed it without my knowledge or approval.

Never taking the car to this dealer again. It was through their body shop and thought I was in good hands with BMW/them.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I can’t really tell what I’m seeing but this looks totally messed up. I’d lawyer up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Black_Sapphire
Rep

That's basically really rough/scratched/missing clear coat along the inside edge of my quarter panel where it meets the back window. Literally looks and feels like someone took sandpaper to the clear coat. Assuming its a tape line from clearing the quarter panel that they pulled after the shotty repaint job. The dealer is trying to play this off like no big deal.

I agree...I'm thinking of lawyering up might be the best way to go...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Forget lawyers, unless you want to split up to half of any settlement. It's a quick and cheap small claims issue. Go to a couple of reputable body shops and get reports on the damages and a cost to repair it. Then try to negotiate with the dealer, in writing. If that fails, then small claims court.

Yeah, you should be real pissed, but don't make a legal mountain out of a mole hill either.

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Even first, I'd simply tell the dealer the work is unacceptable and you want it re-done by a BMW Certified body shop, using their approved processes. With those results, it is likely that was not done with the first work. This may be the path of least resistance to your desired outcome.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
kz1000
Mensch
Rep
Drives: 2021 230i 6mt

I thought Earl Scheib was dead.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
RidingAgin
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive conv

I'd be pissed. Which dealer in SoCal? If i get down there sometime I want to avoid them... Thx.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
714_2er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i

Good ol’ Crevier I bet.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep