THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Air direction indicator bars

02-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Air direction indicator bars

'18 230i.... wife took the car in today and the service advisor gave her the "they are all like that" answer. There are buttons for the driver and the passenger that direct the air flow to feet, to middle, to head, and different combinations. The flow is indicated by arrows that light up next to the button showing where the air is directed. The passenger side does not show an arrow directing the flow to the head area and the SA said it's like that "because it's a European car". Say what? Would someone please check their car and tell me if when pushing the passenger side button if the top (head) arrow ever lights up? TIA.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
'18 230i.... wife took the car in today and the service advisor gave her the "they are all like that" answer. There are buttons for the driver and the passenger that direct the air flow to feet, to middle, to head, and different combinations. The flow is indicated by arrows that light up next to the button showing where the air is directed. The passenger side does not show an arrow directing the flow to the head area and the SA said it's like that "because it's a European car". Say what? Would someone please check their car and tell me if when pushing the passenger side button if the top (head) arrow ever lights up? TIA.
I'm not near my car at the moment, so working from memory here, but are you sure you're not looking at the up-direction windshield defrost airflow choice, which only the driver would choose? The panel vents, which would blow on your face, are the middle straight arrows. The down arrow is floor vent for heat. I believe the graphics on the buttons allows the use of the same control head in right and left hand drive markets.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

The vent control for passenger doesn’t effect the upper top dash vent. Yes, that LED designation for the head will not light up.

And it could very well be a euro type design so the passenger marked controls can’t have any effect on windshield moisture accumulation/ fogging type of issue due to temperature.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Aha, thank you both. We were thinking (erroneously) that there were three vent levels and defrost
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Xi-Xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
It is operating as designed. Only the driver's side buttons control air to the windshield.
Appreciate 0