THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Anyone go from the Stage 1 .v1 to the Stage 1 .v2 M240i

02-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Anyone go from the Stage 1 .v1 to the Stage 1 .v2 M240i

If so, can you provide some feedback as to performance, noticeable differences, CEL's, anything of note when comparing the two?

Thanks to all who respond
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Which tune?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I have the v2 in a 230i. I've seen your posts on the other thread having issues with your v1. The v2 fixes those issues by simplifying the set up. I didn't have an CEL issues on the 230, but I was having throttle input issues with flat spots and lugging on the engine under specific conditions. I got it narrowed down to where I could replicate it repeatedly. I worked with Dinan and loaned them my car, and they went with the new v2 kit instead to fix the issue. The v2 is more powerful and a simpler set up with less connections. This seems to have resolved a lot of the CEL problems amongst all the motors it applies to from what I have seen posted from others. The only issue was for the b46 230i motor, it created an odd sharp acceleration at 50% throttle position, but a fix is currently being validated. So far the revised map I am testing is producing nothing but smiles and is the smoothest the engine has ever felt under light, moderate, and hard acceleration. But like I said, the current map for the v2 didn't seem to have the same issue on the 240 as I had with the 230
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #4
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I read your review on the .v2. Seems like it made a positive difference in all aspects of your car's performance. Have not heard anything from those w/ an M240i going from the .v1 to the .v2.

My .v1 performs great, just the odd CEL occasionally (that seems to clear itself over time). I was curious to hear from folks that went from the .v1 to the .v2 on their M240i. If they noticed a drop in acceleration with the reduced torque.
60+ lb ft at 2500 RPM is pretty huge on paper, but in a car that is putting down 395 lb ft at 2500 RPM (w/ the .v2) may not be as noticeable in real life as the paper numbers would indicate.

HP seems to always get the headline, but it's torque (IMO) low in the RPM range that gets noticed when you drive.
Appreciate 2
      02-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
If so, can you provide some feedback as to performance, noticeable differences, CEL's, anything of note when comparing the two?

Thanks to all who respond
I would like to know this too.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #6
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Well, after behaving itself for the last 6 months, the v1 unit in my car (3rd one) started throwing CELs and the usual boost related error codes... again.
I'll be bringing it in soon to have the v1 swapped out for a v2 and will post my impressions here.
Stay tuned...
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #7
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Thanks Peter. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Took mine out for a couple of errands w/ a CEL showing, three stops and starts, CEL is gone. Quirky for sure. I think mine is throwing the same fault each time, as it clears on its own (as was diagnosed by BMW initially).

Last edited by USA-RET; 03-04-2019 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:51 PM   #8
john16443
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Also have an Estoril Blue 2017 M240i. Have had the Dinan Elite V1 tune in it since March of 2017. I think this is what you have? Last month got a drivetrain malfunction error and CEL. Diagnosed as Dinan Module issue, and replaced under Dinan warranty with the latest V2. Observations since installation include:

The Dinan app on the phone is now useless. The unit is on all the time, can't disable it remotely. Not a problem with me.

No noticeable difference in power output, still goes like hell just as it did before. I track the car several times a year.

Power delivery is smooth and consistent, pulls good throughout the rev range.

Noticeable decrease in on throttle turbo lag, especially in ECO mode. It's essentially 100% gone and feels as close to a naturally aspirated engine as I think it can get.

Only 2 sensors are connected, not the previous 4.

I'm overall very pleased with it, and wouldn't hesitate recommending it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #9
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443 View Post
Also have an Estoril Blue 2017 M240i. Have had the Dinan Elite V1 tune in it since March of 2017. I think this is what you have? Last month got a drive train malfunction error and CEL. Diagnosed as Dinan Module issue, and replaced under Dinan warranty with the latest V2. Observations since installation include:

The Dinan app on the phone is now useless. The unit is on all the time, can't disable it remotely. Not a problem with me.

No noticeable difference in power output, still goes like hell just as it did before. I track the car several times a year.

Noticeable decrease in on throttle turbo lag, especially in ECO mode. It's essentially 100% gone and feels as close to a naturally aspirated engine as I think it can get.

Yes, mine is a 2017 Estoril M240i automatic w/ the .v1 also. Mine has very low mileage (only 6300 since Dec of 2016).

That's great to hear. I kind of suspected there would not be a significant decrease in perceived performance. Even though the two dyno results between the .v1 and .v2 would indicate otherwise.

When mine was installed the tech told me about the app to turn it on or off. I only asked it it was "ON" now. I never intend(ed) to turn it off. So like you, this is not an issue.

I had very noticeable lag in all modes (less so in sport), when starting to accelerate from a dead stop (car would stumble a bit) when the car was stock. After the Dinan, all lag is gone (was the first thing I noticed when I drove away from the dealership).

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=129

The TQ delivery curve for the .V2 appears to be more linear (in line w/ the stock TQ curve initially), than the .v1 (that appears to be showing TQ numbers way higher than stock from the "git-go") which could be the reason for the CELs we see with the .V1 (with the ECU attempting to reconcile the difference - and can't).

Unless the same car was tested on the same day w/ both modules installed, differences in Dyno numbers car be misleading.

Anyway, thanks for the report and very happy to hear your results. If I get a major fault w/ mine, I'll get the .v2 installed also. I find it interesting that some cars have zero issues, some have minor CEL's that clear and others have major and/or numerous faults.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #10
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john16443 View Post
Also have an Estoril Blue 2017 M240i. Have had the Dinan Elite V1 tune in it since March of 2017. I think this is what you have? Last month got a drivetrain malfunction error and CEL. Diagnosed as Dinan Module issue, and replaced under Dinan warranty with the latest V2. Observations since installation include:

That's very good to hear. Thanks for sharing.
I'll be getting mine swapped next week.
I just hope that there's a favorable upgrade path for v2 users to the stage 1+ flash tunes when they become available. That's what I want.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Had mine swapped yesterday. Here are my observations:
  • v2 power delivery is smooth, feels OE; v1 felt tuned
  • v2 feels fast; but v1 felt crazy fast, explosive
  • v2 butt dyno can feel the loss of ~40 lb ft of torque
  • v2 does not have a bluetooth radio, so it is always on and the app can not be used to switch between Bypass, Stage 1, Stage 2, etc., which sucks because I like that feature and it enabled upgrading to higher stages and switching back and forth between them.
  • v2 unit is basically a Dinan Sport, without a bluetooth radio and with a $1000 "warranty". I had a Dinan Sport before my v1, so I know what that felt like. I'm not just speculating.
  • I paid for a v1 ($200 more than a v2), had numerous, recurring CELs and errors diagnosed and had it replaced 2x resulting in downtime and inconvenience. And now I have a v2 which is less capable and less powerful.
  • Dinan support (via email) would not commit to ANY upgrade path from the v1 or v2 piggyback to their flash tune; which they said "is still in development" and "We do not have a release date". So, it appears I'm stuck with this v2 unit for the foreseeable future.
  • My BMW/Dinan dealer is moving away from Dinan because of all these issues, so my future support and upgrade path is uncertain.

Summary: I am very disappointed with the experience I've had with these Dinan piggyback tunes and with Dinan in general. I wish I could have gotten a flash tune with the matching warranty instead.

Dinan_Engineering , thoughts, comments?

Last edited by PeterWT; 03-16-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
  • v2 does not have a bluetooth radio, so it is always on and the app can not be used to switch between Bypass, Stage 1, Stage 2, etc., which sucks because I like that feature and it enabled upgrading to higher stages and switching back and forth between them.
  • v2 unit is basically a Dinan Sport, without a bluetooth radio and with a $1000 "warranty". I had a Dinan Sport before my v1, so I know what that felt like. I'm not just speculating.
  • I paid for a v1 ($200 more than a v2), had numerous, recurring CELs and errors diagnosed and had it replaced 2x resulting in downtime and inconvenience. And now I have a v2 which is less capable and less powerful.
  • Dinan support (via email) would not commit to ANY upgrade path from the v1 or v2 piggyback to their flash tune; which they said "is still in development" and "We do not have a release date". So, it appears I'm stuck with this v2 unit for the foreseeable future.
  • My BMW/Dinan dealer is moving away from Dinan because of all these issues, so my future support and upgrade path is uncertain.

Summary: I am very disappointed with the experience I've had with these Dinan piggyback tunes and with Dinan in general. I wish I could have gotten a flash tune with the matching warranty instead.

Damn Peter.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I feared the same as you are experiencing. Loss of torque. If there is one thing I noticed when getting a car tuned, is the torque gain is always more noticeable than HP gains.

I am very surprised that Dinan could not provide any info on upgrade path from the Stage 1. Certainly they should credit cost of Stage 1 to the cost of Stage 2 upgrade (compared to someone w/ a completely stock car wanting a Stage 2 installed). They should not charge the .v2 owner more than the .v1 owners when the Stage 2 comes out.

I have to admit complete ignorance on the Bluetooth deal. After I got mine installed I wanted it set to "ON" w/ no intention of switching it off. I did not realize there was more than an "on-off" setting.

Would you share again what codes/faults your car was throwing w/ the .v1? Did any of the faults affect performance?

I have only had 1 (so far) and it clears after a couple of restarts.
101F01 DME: Air Mass System (apparently indicating a leak in the intake) No leaks found. Smoke tested intake - no leaks found (inspected crankcase ventilation and exhaust system - no leaks. Was told at the time that code was clearing on its own (this was both times I brought the car in w/ the CEL).

I also have the Dinan cold air intake on mine (which is supposed to be a part of the Stage 2 upgrade when released)

Man, I am so sorry to hear the .v2 is a disappointment. The $200 extra you paid for the .v1 only adds insult to injury. I was ruminating about this while thinking about going the .v2 route w/ mine. If the .v2 was similar in performance and feel to the .v1, I could accept 'eating the $200 diff in price and not say a word. But if you have a "sport" power module in performance Dinan should refund the diff between the .v1 and .v2 out of courtesy.

I'm going to wait and see how things shake out w/ Dinan and the Stage 2 (basically stand pat w/ my .v1). Honestly, in retrospect, the stock car is plenty fast w/o any tunes, and I could be just as happy w/o spending all the extra money on tunes w/ with 'issues". Once the car goes out of warranty, we do whatever we want, but the Dinan coverage was very attractive providing the damn thing worked as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #13
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Damn Peter.

Sorry to hear about your experience. I feared the same as you are experiencing. Loss of torque. If there is one thing I noticed when getting a car tuned, is the torque gain is always more noticeable than HP gains.

I am very surprised that Dinan could not provide any info on upgrade path from the Stage 1. Certainly they should credit cost of Stage 1 to the cost of Stage 2 upgrade (compared to someone w/ a completely stock car wanting a Stage 2 installed). They should not charge the .v2 owner more than the .v1 owners when the Stage 2 comes out.

I have to admit complete ignorance on the Bluetooth deal. After I got mine installed I wanted it set to "ON" w/ no intention of switching it off. I did not realize there was more than an "on-off" setting.

Would you share again what codes/faults your car was throwing w/ the .v1? Did any of the faults affect performance?

I have only had 1 (so far) and it clears after a couple of restarts.
101F01 DME: Air Mass System (apparently indicating a leak in the intake) No leaks found. Smoke tested intake - no leaks found (inspected crankcase ventilation and exhaust system - no leaks. Was told at the time that code was clearing on its own (this was both times I brought the car in w/ the CEL).

I also have the Dinan cold air intake on mine (which is supposed to be a part of the Stage 2 upgrade when released)

Man, I am so sorry to hear the .v2 is a disappointment. The $200 extra you paid for the .v1 only adds insult to injury. I was ruminating about this while thinking about going the .v2 route w/ mine. If the .v2 was similar in performance and feel to the .v1, I could accept 'eating the $200 diff in price and not say a word. But if you have a "sport" power module in performance Dinan should refund the diff between the .v1 and .v2 out of courtesy.

I'm going to wait and see how things shake out w/ Dinan and the Stage 2 (basically stand pat w/ my .v1). Honestly, in retrospect, the stock car is plenty fast w/o any tunes, and I could be just as happy w/o spending all the extra money on tunes w/ with 'issues". Once the car goes out of warranty, we do whatever we want, but the Dinan coverage was very attractive providing the damn thing worked as advertised.
I emailed Dinan support, told them I was disappointed and asked them to make it right. Let's see...

The last scan with the v1 unit (using Carly for BMW) returned these error codes:
Engine / Motor
Fault Code: 104301
Fault Explanation: Absolute pressure sensor, intake manifold,
plausibility, caster: pressure too high
Fault Code: 101F01
Fault Explanation: Throttle angle - absolute pressure suction,
comparison pressure too high
Fault Code: 134F02
Fault Explanation: not learned stop: Valvetronic, adjustment
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #14
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I emailed Dinan support, told them I was disappointed and asked them to make it right. Let's see...

The last scan with the v1 unit (using Carly for BMW) returned these error codes:
Engine / Motor
Fault Code: 104301.
Fault Explanation: Absolute pressure sensor, intake manifold,
plausibility, caster: pressure too high
Fault Code: 101F01
Fault Explanation: Throttle angle - absolute pressure suction,
comparison pressure too high

Fault Code: 134F02
Fault Explanation: not learned stop: Valvetronic, adjustment
Interesting...The code shown in red is the same code I had. BMW scanned mine and came up with Air Mass Sensor - they smoked and checked for leaks. Nothing about throttle angle.

Could it be that the reader you were/are using is giving false codes?

I don't have a code reader to check mine (which may be a good thing) if I would be getting erroneous codes (and scare the hell out of me).

Did you car ever suffer any performance loss or odd behavior when you had a CEL?

I can only assume the BMW service dept code reader would be the accurate one, no?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:12 PM   #15
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting...The code shown in red is the same code I had. BMW scanned mine and came up with Air Mass Sensor - they smoked and checked for leaks. Nothing about throttle angle.

Could it be that the reader you were/are using is giving false codes?

I don't have a code reader to check mine (which may be a good thing) if I would be getting erroneous codes (and scare the hell out of me).

Did you car ever suffer any performance loss or odd behavior when you had a CEL?

I can only assume the BMW service dept code reader would be the accurate one, no?
The scanner is simply reading the stored codes. It doesn't matter what scanner is used; however the description (explanation) of the codes may vary depending on the diagnostic software used.
If there's a CEL and/or stored error codes, then there is an issue. Period. It doesn't matter what scanner or diagnostic software is being used.
There were no obvious performance issues when I had the CEL. It would reset after a few cycles and then return, which is expected with stored / recurring error codes.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The scanner is simply reading the stored codes. It doesn't matter what scanner is used; however the description (explanation) of the codes may vary depending on the diagnostic software used.
If there's a CEL and/or stored error codes, then there is an issue. Period. It doesn't matter what scanner or diagnostic software is being used.
There were no obvious performance issues when I had the CEL. It would reset after a few cycles and then return, which is expected with stored / recurring error codes.
Understand. We certainly don't want a car to be throwing codes willy-nilly.

Dinan seemed to be unconcerned/dismissive of these errant CEL's explaining that the ECU reads pressures and reports false errors that will clear on their own. They did mention that some cars had major faults that would affect performance, but these instances were very rare.

I'm not happy that I keep getting a CEL, but with no loss of performance and understanding the reason, I can see hanging on to the .v1 until the Stage 2 flash or when the car goes off warranty and looking for something else all-together. If Dinan did not offer a warranty, I would have never tuned my car within the warranty period.

I was on the fence about going with the .v2 when offered by my BMW service manager, but after reading your feedback, I think I will stand pat (at least for the time being). If Dinan offers a Stage 2 flash before my car goes out of warranty, I'll do that. If Dinan does not offer any future upgrades and my car is going out of warranty, I will have my dealership put the .v2 on mine.

I went with Dinan because they were reported to be trouble free and well supported. Dinan also offered upgrade paths that seemed to perfect for me.

My plan was to keep this car long term (adding Dinan upgrades along the way), due to the low miles I put on it. If down the road I decide to trade it for something else, I do not want the car to be throwing CEL's intermittently as that will certainly affect its value. Yes, I could pull the .v1 off before I trade, but then I have potentially zero return on my investment (who'd buy a .v1 with CEL issues?). At least w/ the .v2 I can potentially get something for it on a trade or at least be able to sell it (aftermarket) for $omething (along w/ the Dinan intake).

For both our sakes, lets hope Dinan offers a Stage 2 flash before our "boat mates" go out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #17
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with V2 Peter. That is unfortunate for sure. I will let the support process play out as they are much more familiar with what is going on then myself and ultimately have the power to resolve it, in whatever form that may take, but I will offer a few comments on a few points you brought up.

1. The torque difference that is perceived is more due to how it the power tips in. On V1 it was more abrupt (hence the "feeling more tuned") then V2. This also tended to be where a fair amount of issues with the V1 occurred hence reducing/smoothing that out and giving more of a linear "OE feel". To be honest the V2 feels more historically Dinan to me. Of course, different strokes for different folks and all that.
2. As far as an upgrade path from V1 (or V2) to the future flash tunes. There will be one but none of us know exactly what form that will take. We all have speculations and ideas but internally we are not to the point where that process of thinking is necessary yet. First need to finish the actual tunes, delivery method within the network, etc. The support folks simply can't commit to something that doesn't exist yet.

Regardless, I am sure the support team will offer a reasonable path to resolution that is agreeable to all parties.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #18
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Sorry to hear you are disappointed with V2 Peter. That is unfortunate for sure. I will let the support process play out as they are much more familiar with what is going on then myself and ultimately have the power to resolve it, in whatever form that may take, but I will offer a few comments on a few points you brought up.

1. The torque difference that is perceived is more due to how it the power tips in. On V1 it was more abrupt (hence the "feeling more tuned") then V2. This also tended to be where a fair amount of issues with the V1 occurred hence reducing/smoothing that out and giving more of a linear "OE feel". To be honest the V2 feels more historically Dinan to me. Of course, different strokes for different folks and all that.
2. As far as an upgrade path from V1 (or V2) to the future flash tunes. There will be one but none of us know exactly what form that will take. We all have speculations and ideas but internally we are not to the point where that process of thinking is necessary yet. First need to finish the actual tunes, delivery method within the network, etc. The support folks simply can't commit to something that doesn't exist yet.

Regardless, I am sure the support team will offer a reasonable path to resolution that is agreeable to all parties.
Thanks for responding. That all makes sense and I understand. But, my experience so far with the Dinan piggybacks has not been good and continued patience in response to uncertainty is difficult.

Last edited by PeterWT; 03-18-2019 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #19
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
...Regardless, I am sure the support team will offer a reasonable path to resolution that is agreeable to all parties.
Dinan_Engineering , just wanted to let you (and everyone here) know that, as you predicted, support did in fact "offer a reasonable path to resolution".
The way in which this was handled has gone a long way to build my trust in Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #20
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I just ordered a new 2019 Mini Cooper S w/ a JCW tune. Hopefully arriving before June 30, 2019. It has a B46 motor and was hoping to add the Dinan Elite to it.

Have been watching threads regarding this upgrade On NAM. Mostly positive, but a couple with some CEL issues (one was particularly horrible).

I'm still up in the air about spending another near $1K on an elite.

2015 MCS w/ just the JCW is pretty satisfying.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #21
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just ordered a new 2019 Mini Cooper S w/ a JCW tune. Hopefully arriving before June 30, 2019. It has a B46 motor and was hoping to add the Dinan Elite to it.

Have been watching threads regarding this upgrade On NAM. Mostly positive, but a couple with some CEL issues (one was particularly horrible).

I'm still up in the air about spending another near $1K on an elite.

2015 MCS w/ just the JCW is pretty satisfying.
Congrats on the new acquisition!
Enjoy it and best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #22
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Thanks Peter. Perhaps one of these day our paths will cross. Being in Florida, it's just a matter of time.

Strangely, I'm pretty stuck in the BMW camp...BMW proper and BMW "lite".
Appreciate 0