E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 Owners/Buyers--Why not the E90 sedan??

03-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
wolke9
apexlvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 VW GTI;335i m-sprt ordrd

E91 Owners/Buyers--Why not the E90 sedan??

I'm curious why those of you who purchased/are getting ready to purchase the E91 aren't getting the E90 sedan. Is it a matter of space/utility, trying to have a different vehicle, or something else??

Do any of you regret getting the E91 or have "issues" with driving a wagon (albeit a sportwagon)? Is the $$ difference worth it??? I am considering the wagon and wanted to get some insight from current and soon-to-be owners of the E91. . .

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolke9
I'm curious why those of you who purchased/are getting ready to purchase the E91 aren't getting the E90 sedan. Is it a matter of space/utility, trying to have a different vehicle, or something else??

Do any of you regret getting the E91 or have "issues" with driving a wagon (albeit a sportwagon)? Is the $$ difference worth it??? I am considering the wagon and wanted to get some insight from current and soon-to-be owners of the E91. . .

Thanks
Here is why I should have ordered a wagon, not to mention the exclusivity factor...

Last edited by StewtheBassman; 04-16-2009 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:

Thanks
Here we go again..........
I bought mine because LEDZEP said it was cool.............
ok, really..

I love my Touring.
No regrets here, my previous car was a silver sportwagon too.
I like having the space, but also enjoy NEVER seeing another like mine.
Maybe you have to be sexually confident to drive a wagon....

Circle this wagon
Move on, soccer moms. BMW's 325xi is for young men who know where they're going and how to get there in style.

DAN NEIL LA Times
January 18, 2006

ACCORDING to my sources — a lot of trashy prime-time TV — young men are not getting a fit and proper education in the gentle art of manhood and are instead emerging from sebaceous adolescence unschooled in matters of taste, style and decorum. Which totally blows.

In the spirit of Esquire magazine's "Things Every Man Should Know" series, let me enlighten you. An all-wheel-drive European sports wagon is the perfect car for a fashionable young man. A night on the town, a month of resort-hopping in the Canadian Rockies, it matters not. This is the sort of car you should own before you are 30, along with an Andiamo suitcase, a great set of cookware and a tailored tux. Gentlemen do not rent clothes.
ADVERTISEMENT

FOR THE RECORD:
BMW wagon —An article in Wednesday's Highway 1 section stated that the engine displacement on the BMW 325xi sports wagon was 2.5 liters. It is 3.0 liters.
It's important to read cars as women read them, as the material adjuncts of a man's inner life. (Attention, gay men: The same rules apply, give or take a sweater.) Sports cars are needy, trucks are desperate, boxy crossovers and active-lifestyle SUVs scream "focus-group patsy" — women sense these things with an atavism that is a marvel to behold. A sports wagon, by contrast, conveys an effortless and consolidated sense of self, a worldliness and maturity. You are more than just available; you're eligible.

Speaking of maturity: When you invite women over to your apartment, hide the Xbox.

You have a few choices in the European sports wagon department: Audi, Saab, Volvo. Mercedes-Benz built a lovely C320 4matic wagon until this year, when it didn't. But for the simple, syrupy perfection of a well-stroked piece of machinery, you can do no better than the BMW 325xi wagon, in the mid-$30s. Classic, impeccable, enviable — an entire wardrobe of cars in one package.

The 2006 edition of the 3-series wagon is based on the chassis and interior design launched with the sedan last year; it's powered by the same 2.5-liter inline six putting out 215 hp, up from 184 hp in the previous model. As was true in the previous wagon, the larger displacement 3.0-liter motor in the sedan is not available.

This engine is almost too fine a place for the dirty business of internal combustion. The block is a composite aluminum-magnesium casting. The 24-valve, inline cylinder head uses the BMW's Valvetronic system, varying lift and duration depending on engine load — thus dispensing with the need for a conventional butterfly throttle. On top of the engine is variable-geometry induction. Smooth? Championship bowling balls don't get this kind of polish.

THE purpose behind all these devices is to precisely modulate pumping volumes across a wide range of engine speed to maximize torque and efficiency and minimize emissions. It's complicated, but the result is simple: a linear, compressive, virtually hydraulic surge of power from just about any point on the tach and any gear in the bag (a six-speed manual transmission is standard, while the six-speed Steptronic automatic is optional).

The new wagon, roughly two inches longer than before, comes in at 3,781 pounds compared with the old model's 3,627 pounds. By the seat of the pants, this feels like a 7-second car to 60 mph. This is by no means the fastest AWD wagon out there — may I suggest something in a Subaru? — and its dearth of displacement can become noticeable at drive-for-your-life freeway speeds. But around town the car is capable of truly gratuitous bursts of quickness and bright, vivacious snarls of induction and exhaust noise.

The "x" in the nomenclature refers to BMW's all-wheel-drive system, which the company, known for its devilish German wit, calls "xDrive." A fully intelligent AWD unit, xDrive uses a multi-clutch differential to split torque between the front and rear axles, varying the split depending on available grip.

A new feature — and instantly lovable — is the start-off assistant, which prevents the car from rolling back while the driver is shifting into first gear (it holds the brake for a one-count after the driver lifts his or her foot). It's a lot easier than trying to heel-and-toe the throttle and brake.

Like the sedan, the wagon has double-pivot front suspension — compared to the departing model's front struts -- and five-link rear suspension. To create a little more cargo space under the load floor, the car uses run-flat tires, like those on the X3. I am not wild about these tires, though they are getting better. The wagon's suspension has been carefully tuned to take the characteristic zing out of the run-flats — the sidewalls are very stiff and transmit sharp impacts to the chassis and steering column. Only occasionally when you catch these tires wrong will the impact startle you.

THROW up the hatch, throw down the seats, throw in your skis or band equipment or climbing gear. In terms of practicality and life-carrying cargo capacity, the 325xi sacrifices very little to the upright, lumpen crossovers whose ads blare from the pages of Vibe and Maxim. But this car will carve and thrash in a way crossovers never could -- and you won't be embarrassed to drive it to your boss' house for supper. When in your prime earning years you add more doors to your garage, you can buy more specialized cars — something grand like an Aston Martin, or something noble like a Prius. For now, the BMW Sport Wagon is like a great black suit and Hermes tie, always right.

bla bla bla

Last edited by Lost Rider; 03-23-2006 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I am also debating the 90/91 choice. The 91 has great utility, awesome panorama roof, and less yuppie image. But it is heavier (150 lbs or so), more expensive ($1800+$1900 for xi), and worst of all from my perspective, only available as a 325xiT. I will choose a 335 E90 over a 325xiT E91. If a rwd E91 becomes available, that will be more difficult to turn down. A 335iT would be heaven.

Last edited by stressdoc; 03-23-2006 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
I hope the RWD e91 comes out, so you can finally get one for yourself stressdoc.
      03-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Thanks, I will be one of the few remaining holdouts now that E90Fleet has crossed over. I have nearly ordered a 330 several times over the past year. Couple of cancelled Europe trips, and now the prospect of the 335. Good thing my old E46 is such a great car!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:

Thanks
Over the past 22 years, I've driven at least seven previous BMWs, no wagons until now. I'm very happy with the E91. My previous car was a E90/330i, so I had some misgivings about the lessor HP of the 325XiT. However, I have found the performance to be more than adequate and the handling as good as the 330i. Not surprising, since the wagon has the same 50/50 weight distribution. In the wet and snow, the wagon will outperform a RWD E90.
What I find particilarily satisfying about the wagon is its wonderful styling ( I think it's even more successful than the sedan), especially the side profile and the rear end, the amazing versatility, the panorama sunroof, the X drive for our climate here in the northwest, and a certain exclusiveness. In my mind, there isn't a better looking sport wagon on the planet. When it comes to performance, the 325XiT may not win any drag competitions, but I find I can easily out accelerate most other cars and on the highway, the wagon just flies, quickly reaching 140 kph. Even up to this speed, the double vent sunroof can be left open without excessive wind noise and no turbulence.
Another wagon advantage is the increased road clearance (+ 0.8"). With my 330i, I found that on several occasions the car bottomed out on gravel roads and going over driveway curbs.
As far as options go, I would definitely recommend the premium package and the sport package. However, as I discovered, summer performance tires (Pirelli Euphori@) transform the car into a tramlining beast when driven on rutted pavement. I immediately had the 17" all seasons put back on to my car; the ride was much improved and the handling is still very good.
In summary, if you're looking for a wagon, I don't think you can find a more fun to drive or better looking one on the planet.
      03-23-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
fragra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Last sedan I had I always ended up trying to carry something that was two inches too big to get in. Frustrating. I really love my e46 touring so an e91 is pretty much a given. I can carry all the junk that a so-called active lifestyle demands, have tailgate picnics, and still get tail-happy if I want. BTW, 8 cases of Okanagan wine in the back plus luggage sure does make the car rear biased.

Stew is right about the exclusivity. I rarely see other e46 tourings here, and although I've seen a few e91s at dealers, I've yet to see one on the road. And I AM looking.
      03-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
fragra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hey Derek, I obviously haven't seen you on the road yet. I'll keep looking.

Glad to hear you like the wet-weather performance of X-drive. There isn't much discussion about that, and its an important consideration here in Raincouver.
      03-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

xDrive is nothing short of astonishing, incredible and excellent.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Bulldog66
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e91 325xit

For me, I prefer the style and statement that a wagon makes. A wolf in sheep’s clothing, nothing to prove. I agree with the other comments here, I think the overall design is superior; it has a great flow of line from the side, and a great rear end. Plus, the added convenience of being able to carry larger objects when needed is great. As for the all wheel drive, I live in Colorado and ski a lot, so that was a given, no matter what car I bought. Around here you see Audis everywhere, about 70/30 sedan to wagon, but I have only seen a handful of 3 series xi wagons, E46 or E90, that is nice as well. To bad Americans don’t embrace the wagon, (touring, estate) the way Europe does, it really is a logical choice. Give me a hot wagon anyday...

Hot wagon = BMW or Audi, that is really about it.
325xiT, Manual, Titanium Silver, Black with Alum Interior, Premium Package, Sport Package, Winter Package, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, 18" 196 Wheels, ACS Springs, Tinted Windows, Chrome tips, UUC Shadow Shift knob, BMW Alum Pedal set, BMW strut brace

]
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
Jibber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xiT

In my case, I went out looking for a wagon. If it wasn't for the E91 I'd probably have ordered an Audi A4 Avant.

I think there is a myth that wagon/touring buyers are sacrificing looks for utility. I would bet that most E91 around here like the utility and love the looks. It's hard to explain, but I just think European wagons are super cool for some reason.
      03-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibber
In my case, I went out looking for a wagon. If it wasn't for the E91 I'd probably have ordered an Audi A4 Avant.

I think there is a myth that wagon/touring buyers are sacrificing looks for utility. I would bet that most E91 around here like the utility and love the looks. It's hard to explain, but I just think European wagons are super cool for some reason.
I agree completely.

I'm currently touring all across Europe, and it's amazing how the wagons are the norm. They are everywhere. All shape and sizes. Sedans are almost the minority I think.
I'm glad it's not like that at home in Chicago, I like being special.
      03-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
ed328ci
Grumpy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I have a sedan, but my "ultimate" E90 would be a 335 Touring or M3 Touring. Seriously, it would be the best of both worlds. The performance and handling of an E90 and the utility of a wagon. I even like the way the E91 looks. I would buy one, if I have the money for it!

Ed
      03-23-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Already had one.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #16
Jibber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
Already had one.
Just out of curiosity, which one do yo drive most often?
      03-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #17
Corto Maltese
Rep
Drives: E91 monaco blue

The E91 is in Europe more popular than the E90, most people think the E91 is more stylish. Taste differs, in the US it seems to be the other way around. Maybe the 'image' of a touring is different in the US, being associated with a ladies car ? Some BMW 3 series drivers in the US seem to focus on 10 hp more, or 100 kg less for the sake of driving, very macho. On the other hand, when they first buy a car with a stick, it can get embarrassing. So does 10 hp more really matter that much ? It is ok to be very demanding of your car, but maybe you should be as demanding on yourself to be consistent ? Never see a post on that one.

Image is your perception of a car in your head. Try to forget about that and look objectively at the touring: it gives you more flexibility when you want to carry some sports equipment, but is stylish enough to be used in a business environment. In daily life it is more practical. And personally, I think its more beautiful.

But again, every individual has different criteria to measure a car, like hp or rwd. Maybe a touring is a car for people that do not take life to seriously, and still enjoy driving a solid car.

The most important thing is that you are happy with the car you chose and respect the choices of others.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibber
Just out of curiosity, which one do yo drive most often?
I drive the E90 daily. About twice a month I'll drive the E91 to work. I have a 118 mile round trip commute, so it's a good way to get the wagon out and stretch its legs once in awhile, but no point racking up the mileage on both cars. I love driving the wagon! I actually find that it rides much smoother than the sedan. I don't know if it is the extra weight, the AWD, or just that the tires are in better shape.

I also think that the wagon is great to look at. I find myself more infatuated with the design of the E91 than I do with the E90.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #19
wolke9
apexlvr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 VW GTI;335i m-sprt ordrd

Thanks for all of your comments. . .One thing I didn't realize is that the E91 only comes w/X-drive (for right now) and costs a chunk of $$ more than the 325i I was looking at. Decisions, Decisions. . . well, maybe I'll skip both and buy a MINI instead. . .less room, less practicality, arguably more fun??. . .and less $$.

Sometimes, there are just too many choices!!!! All of this info helps a great bit. . .Thanks again!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #20
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragra
Hey Derek, I obviously haven't seen you on the road yet. I'll keep looking.

Glad to hear you like the wet-weather performance of X-drive. There isn't much discussion about that, and its an important consideration here in Raincouver.
Fragra,
Yes, the wet weather handling is excellent. Perhaps even more important, as you suggested, is the case lot capacity for trips to the Okanagan wineries !! Come this May, our touring will be headed up to Naramata; it will be certainly be returning with a full load !
      03-23-2006, 07:28 PM   #21
red_wagen
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: with a grin...

Nope, no regrets here. I just hope they bring the RWD version here before the end of the year otherwise the Audi Avant is looking very tempting.
      03-23-2006, 08:14 PM   #22
fragra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS
Fragra,
Yes, the wet weather handling is excellent. Perhaps even more important, as you suggested, is the case lot capacity for trips to the Okanagan wineries !! Come this May, our touring will be headed up to Naramata; it will be certainly be returning with a full load !
Naramata? I have just two words... Poplar Grove. Just be sure to leave me some.