E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Active Steering Defective

07-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Active Steering Defective

Hey guys, I have done several searches and I could not find anyone with active steering problem. Anywayz, I have been getting this "Active Steering Defective" error popping up once in a while for the past 4-5 weeks. The most annoying part is that it will make this weird jerking noise when you insert the FOB and (most IMPORTANTLY) will not allow me to start my engine!!!! Imagine yourself kinda running late on the schedule and got stuck there and you are sitting there in your car cursing out "WDF man!!!!" I will have to usually wait for about 3-5 minutes before it allows me to start up. And on top of the problem, I can feel a slight clicking noise whenever I turn the wheel to the left.

I know I should bring it in (since the manual says this needs to be resolved ASAP), but my problem is my car does not have active steering to begin with, or at least I was never been told that I have this!!! If I don't have it, where is this error from???

So if anyone can chime a little, I would really appreciate it. I really need the car for the next couple of weeks since I am on rotation and will need to drive almost everyday. Thanks!!!!
      07-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
pittyinSC
Drives Smart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1968 Austin Mini Cooper 1380cc

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Im not sure, is it the steering wheel lock icon? This sounds abnormal

08 BMW ///M5 Space Gray/Black 6 speed
Engine: RPi GTS exhaust, RPi Scoops, Carbon Filter Delete
Exterior: Glossy Black Kidneys, LUX V3, OEM LED License Plate light, Bruce License Plate Adapter
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
My mistake guys. It turns out to be "electric steering wheel lock malfunctioning" problem. There are bunch of threads about it, and here is one for example:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ing+wheel+lock

It's a known problem and can be annoying!!!