F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Exhaust smell in Cabin F36
ARMA SPEED

01-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #1
RiceRocketier
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC x drive M Sport

Exhaust smell in Cabin F36

Hey All. I have searched and have seen 2 posts on this issue from the same OP, but no resolution. I'm hoping someone out there has found a fix. I have an apt with the dealer but fear I to will get the run around.

The issue is that when the heat is set to A and around 75 degrees I'm getting a strong exhaust type oder. The smell is choking and I feel dizzy. It seems to be the strongest when the engine is warm around 200 degrees.

Anyone out there have the same issue and have been able to get it diagnosed?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Check the "air circulation" setting on the climate control panel; the far right button, between both temp dials [has letter A-M and an arrow sign].
Your car's HVAC system could be periodically capturing some outside air when set to "A" mode.

edit: I just re-read what you wrote OP - does this happen in normal traffic conditions ? I mean, getting to a choking point is rather alarming ... I can see that level of exhaust odor happening when you're in near dead traffic idling in a tunnel or behind of a diesel truck, but if it's just you and your car ..

Last edited by Digital_83; 01-22-2019 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
RiceRocketier
Rep

Yea it happens even when I'm at speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceRocketier View Post
Yea it happens even when I'm at speed.
sorry OP; Service advisory then .. Let us know what they find.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
ZZ-mtl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hey All. I have searched and have seen 2 posts on this issue from the same OP, but no resolution. I'm hoping someone out there has found a fix. I have an apt with the dealer but fear I to will get the run around.

The issue is that when the heat is set to A and around 75 degrees I'm getting a strong exhaust type oder. The smell is choking and I feel dizzy. It seems to be the strongest when the engine is warm around 200 degrees.

I had similar issues when I picked up mine. Did you have mppsk? I brought it to dealer and had mechanic ride with me so he could smell it himself. It got stronger usually after 15-20mins and worse if we're in traffic. Couldn't find out why and they looked up everywhere. I had to drive with windows down (thankfully was summer).

After a few months, it seems gone on its own. I'm driving it for 9 months now and that smell is completely gone.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
RiceRocketier
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-mtl View Post
Quote:

I had similar issues when I picked up mine. Did you have mppsk? I brought it to dealer and had mechanic ride with me so he could smell it himself. It got stronger usually after 15-20mins and worse if we're in traffic. Couldn't find out why and they looked up everywhere. I had to drive with windows down (thankfully was summer).

After a few months, it seems gone on its own. I'm driving it for 9 months now and that smell is completely gone.
What's mppsk?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
ZZ-mtl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
What's mppsk?
M Performance Power and Sound Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
Newman1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

I had this a couple years ago when I bought a CPO 328d. The first few days of driving it, there was a strong smell of fuel/exhaust inside the car. I took the car to have it checked out, and turns out there was a fuel leak somewhere in the engine bay that was repaired during the CPO process, but fuel had gotten all over in little nooks and crannies that resulted in a strong smell permeating as the engine heated up. They tried cleaning it and after multiple attempts, I could still smell it.

They let me return the car and I bought a regular gas model, which is what I still have. I wonder if there might be something similar going on with yours, where there's a fuel leak in the engine bay that is making its way inside. In my case, the car had what appeared to be a minor leak, but unfortunately it doesn't take much raw fuel to create a strong smell.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
RiceRocketier
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-mtl View Post
Quote:
What's mppsk?
M Performance Power and Sound Kit
The car is an m sport. Not sure is it has that package. I'm hoping they can find it but I'll also take it if it just disappears. Glad I'm not the only one that's run into this. It seems I have now come across 4 people with the same issue. I'm hoping the dealer comes through as I love the car. Now I'm regretting that I didn't get the s5 sport back.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
ZZ-mtl
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The car is an m sport. Not sure is it has that package. I'm hoping they can find it but I'll also take it if it just disappears. Glad I'm not the only one that's run into this. It seems I have now come across 4 people with the same issue. I'm hoping the dealer comes through as I love the car. Now I'm regretting that I didn't get the s5 sport back.
I believe there is absolutely nothing to regret

I have seen enough times S5 owners turned their head... S5 Sportback is sexy. Great car too.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #11
RiceRocketier
Rep

Weirdly the smell is stronger on the driver side. Not getting much on the passenger side
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #12
RiceRocketier
Rep

After about an hour of putting everything to the sniff test. It appears as though the exhaust smell are coming from the vents under the drivers side. I was only able to smell there while the car was parked and idle for obvious reasons, but I have isolated it to the drivers foot well. All the other vents seem to be ok. If I change the venting locations on the hvac regardless of outside air or recirc the drivers foot well has a strong exhaust fine smell. If I shut the foot well off and set the vents to face or window there is no smell. I have an apt with the dealer and at least I have the exact location to point the tech too.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #13
StandUpPhilosopher
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i M-Sport

Hey there. I have a 2014 428i, and i notice a gas smell in the cabin. Unlike the issue above, I can smell it within a few minutes. Oddly I seem to notice it when I make a right turn.

Once i park it and turn the engine off, I get out of the car and I can smell it if I get close the the driver front wheel well... like coming from the engine compartment on the driver side. Anyone know of some fuel filter, or the like being an issue?
Appreciate 0