BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Side park sensors do give audible alarm.

This topic was in another thread so I went out to test the sensors. I do get a audible alarm as I pull into my garage. This picture shows at what point the alarm is activated. The distance sensors are very accurately calibrated.

The screen detected the sides of the garage as I pulled in showing it in yellow, then orange, then red as alarm is chimed.

This pic shows me all the way in my garage parked. The rear side sensors are showing the sides of the garage opening in red. So both front and rear side sensors stay active independently. (notice I am closer to the right of my doorway than the left and it shows this with red and orange indicators.)

Appreciate 3
BmwGk36.50
Xeno315.00
Minnie40.50
      01-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
This topic was in another thread so I went out to test the sensors. I do get a audible alarm as I pull into my garage. This picture shows at what point the alarm is activated.

The screen detected the sides of the garage as I pulled in showing it in yellow, then orange, then red as alarm is chimed.

This pic shows me all the way in my garage parked. The rear side sensors are showing the sides of the garage opening in red. So both front and rear side sensors stay active independently. (notice I am closer to the right of my doorway than the left and it shows this with red and orange indicators.)

Mine do too. Does everyone have this feature or just us with the parking package?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
avengerboater
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

There's a section in the owner's manual regarding the parking sensors. It mentioned the side sensors actually detect distances of stationary objects and is used during the parking assist to seek out empty spaces. So, if you pull into your garage, the side sensors should light up if you're closer to the wall or post, etc.

I get sensors going all around me as I pull into and out of my garage stall.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
This topic was in another thread so I went out to test the sensors. I do get a audible alarm as I pull into my garage. This picture shows at what point the alarm is activated. The distance sensors are very accurately calibrated.

Mystro,
Does that split PDC screen auto pop up as you enter your garage? For instance if you were in a Navi screen it changed on its own?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc5513 View Post
Mystro,
Does that split PDC screen auto pop up as you enter your garage? For instance if you were in a Navi screen it changed on its own?
Yes, I have that set to do that in the menu. It’s surprisingly intuitive going forwards and backwards. I pretty much never have to touch the screen.
Appreciate 1
kerz5.50
      01-21-2019, 06:09 PM   #6
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Quote:
Mystro,
Yes, I have that set to do that in the menu. It's surprisingly intuitive going forwards and backwards. I pretty much never have to touch the screen.
You have it set to engage the PDC auto? Where is that?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 06:21 PM   #7
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You have it set to engage the PDC auto? Where is that?
It’s listed under the “Drivers Assistance System” in the manual. I believe there is a “Automatic Camera Perspective” setting.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
kleo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Based on my experience, the side sensors give audible alarms only if you are actively moving towards the obstacle on your side, for example when turning into a parking spot next to a pole. If you are just driving straight the side sensors won't chime. It's kinda neat since you want to focus on the obstacles in your driving path.
Appreciate 0