E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Enough evidence to call e90 more reliable than e46?

03-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
hades281
Rep
Drives:

Enough evidence to call e90 more reliable than e46?

I've been lurking around the board for a while now, (im)patiently saving my pennies to work my way into a new e90. I fell in love with BMW at "The Ultimate Drive" behind the wheel of an e46 330i.

The other car I'm considering is the Acura TL from a "responsibility" standpoint. It seems like a better bang for the buck, legendary low-maintenance longevity, has a beautiful interior, and enough power for me to be happy. Havent driven the 6-speed TL however, and if it doesn't drive well enough I probably wont care if it is a better bargain.

So I've been on their message board also (Acurazine) and noticed one thing -- It didnt take long after the car was released for common, recurring complaints to start cropping up - some of which still seem to plague the car to some degree: namely rattles, vibration and rapidly-aging leather.

I dont think I've seen the same thing here at e90 post, and this car has been around "a while" now. E90 drivers griped about one single rattle in particular - the seat belt thing, and BMW goes through the trouble to issue a TSB and a new part. Some people have software update issues but it seems like those all eventually get resolved.

No big, widely common issues.

BMW and Mercedes pledged a few years ago to improve reliability after several surveys called European cars the most problematic of the bunch. Is there evidence to support they really did?

I suppose if you can believe that, then anticipating to spend thousands of dollars on the e90 later in its life (80,000+ miles) because thats what a lot of e46 guys have to do isn't so realistic.

I just dont want to be disappointed that after 85k or so i've already spent thousands of dollars replacing the suspension, the cooling system, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Wolf359
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I'm at 16-17 000 km now and the car has been faultless in 9 months of ownership. I actually think it may be more reliable than my 2000 E46 (Crossing fingers here).

Can't say if the car has any rattles, can't hear them because of Logic7.

I don't think the TL is that reliable, if you make some searches you'll come up with bad surprises concerning its transmission and paint quality.
Appreciate 0