E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Changed Driver Side Halos and Ignition Coils. Now TPMS Inactive?!

01-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #1
speedwheels
speedwheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Angry Changed Driver Side Halos and Ignition Coils. Now TPMS Inactive?!

Folks,
I have a 2007 N54 335i sedan.
This is either a weird coincidence or my mechanic pulled some wire he was not supposed to . I am trying to find out if there could be any correlation.
What happened is this. I took my car into an indy mechanics shop to have my ignition coils replaced as well as the Driver side front DRL (Angel eyes) bulb replaced (this involves removing the front driver side wheel well lining and the wheel). When I picked the car up, the TPMS Inactive light showed up on my instrument cluster. I was in a hurry to get home so I did not bring it up with the mechanic yet but I plan to do so later today. Can anyone think of TPMS related sensors or antenna that might be located by near the front driver side wheel well? Or is there any wiring under the hood (related to the removal of the engine cover and cowl) that is related to the TPMS System?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchilaka View Post
Folks,
I have a 2007 N54 335i sedan.
This is either a weird coincidence or my mechanic pulled some wire he was not supposed to . I am trying to find out if there could be any correlation.
What happened is this. I took my car into an indy mechanics shop to have my ignition coils replaced as well as the Driver side front DRL (Angel eyes) bulb replaced (this involves removing the front driver side wheel well lining and the wheel). When I picked the car up, the TPMS Inactive light showed up on my instrument cluster. I was in a hurry to get home so I did not bring it up with the mechanic yet but I plan to do so later today. Can anyone think of TPMS related sensors or antenna that might be located by near the front driver side wheel well? Or is there any wiring under the hood (related to the removal of the engine cover and cowl) that is related to the TPMS System?
The most likely cause is that either the trigger transmitter was disconnected, and not reconnected when the liner was reinstalled, or a wire was damaged to the trigger transmitter was damaged when the liner was removed or reinstalled.

I wouldn't necessarily blame this on the mechanic - you need to remember that you have a 10+ year old car, and over time wires will become brittle.

I had the same thing happen, this is how I resolved it. I used a multimeter an checked for continuity on the 3 wires at the trigger connector, back to the PDC module. I found one of the wires did not have continuity. Instead of running a new wire all the way, I decided to find the wire in the engine bay, cut it, and find see where I had continuity. At the cut I had continuity back to the PDC module, so I simply spliced a new wire to the trigger.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
speedwheels
speedwheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
The most likely cause is that either the trigger transmitter was disconnected, and not reconnected when the liner was reinstalled, or a wire was damaged to the trigger transmitter was damaged when the liner was removed or reinstalled.

I wouldn't necessarily blame this on the mechanic - you need to remember that you have a 10+ year old car, and over time wires will become brittle.

I had the same thing happen, this is how I resolved it. I used a multimeter an checked for continuity on the 3 wires at the trigger connector, back to the PDC module. I found one of the wires did not have continuity. Instead of running a new wire all the way, I decided to find the wire in the engine bay, cut it, and find see where I had continuity. At the cut I had continuity back to the PDC module, so I simply spliced a new wire to the trigger.
Couple of questions:
Wait, why is the PDC (park distance control) module involved with this?
Is there any wiring from the TPMS that goes under the cowl in the engine bay?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchilaka View Post
Couple of questions:
Wait, why is the PDC (park distance control) module involved with this?
Is there any wiring from the TPMS that goes under the cowl in the engine bay?
Sorry! That was my screw up, I'm currently looking at do a PDC retrofit. You are correct it's the TPMS module.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0