BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Use of new iDrive media with Android?

Hi,

Excited to be back in a BMW in a few days.

I currently used a Google Pixel 2 XL phone and have a full Google Play cloud library. I stream from my phone to my Discovery and also to my last few Land Rovers and BMW. Will this display on the two screens? I don't want Android Auto. Just to be able to view and hopefully browse what's in my library. If I have to get the new iPhone, I will, but still enjoying my current phone. Would love to see non-gracenotes generic genre images also, so fingers crossed. Audi's system I know still does that. Any feedback from music fans would be appreciated. I don't use streaming services - just my own clould library. pCloud and Bandcamp also. Should work just fine, but you never know. Not a deal breaker, but I love my music.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Good luck with this. As one of the 50%+ of BMW owners who use Android - BMW appears to have no interest in supporting android.

The only exception to this is the NFC-based entry system where Samsung (android) is the only phone currently supported.

This is a great irony.

You need an Android phone to open the car, then an iPhone to connect to the system while driving!

Like most of these items - BMW seems to ignore customers and won't address requests or provide an indication if they will ever support android. It makes life alot easier to not respond to customer requests.....
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #3
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
You can play music over BT without an issue and get album art if that is what you are referring to.

BMW intends to support Android Auto once the privacy concerns are resolved by Google.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
MatchboxM1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
You can play music over BT without an issue and get album art if that is what you are referring to.

BMW intends to support Android Auto once the privacy concerns are resolved by Google.
Thanks for both responses.

And above is is exactly what I was hoping for. Having browsing capabilities from the car, even better, but I expect those functions need to be from the phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

Quote:

The privacy concerns are just an excuse. BMW is trying to figure out how to charge a fee for Android Auto like they do for Apple car play. Android being open source, they don't want folks with custom ROM bypassing the payment system.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:

NH_F36 - do you have any links confirming this is the reason BMW doesn't support Android auto?

The interview with the BMW SVP last year suggested that BMW sees Android Auto as more of a threat than CarPlay - so have decided not to integrate this.

Would be interested to better understand the reasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #7
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
NH_F36 - do you have any links confirming this is the reason BMW doesn't support Android auto?

The interview with the BMW SVP last year suggested that BMW sees Android Auto as more of a threat than CarPlay - so have decided not to integrate this.

It is what we have been told over and over. Porsche has the same concerns as well.

"All Apple needs to know for CarPlay is whether a car is moving while its technology is being used.

Google, meanwhile, asks car manufacturers to enter an agreement with the data-gobbling search giant allowing it to access information including (but almost certainly not limited to) vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, and engine revs."

https://www.cultofmac.com/391234/por...vacy-policies/

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #8
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post

I have Pixel 3 XL and no matter what app I use to play music (e.g. Google Play Music) , it doesn't show album art. May I know what Android phone/app you used to see album art on screen?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
Wichita
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

In the mean time put your music on a usb stick and either load it on the hard drive or play it from the usb stick, album art works fine as does asking “HEY BMW” play ##
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #10
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

+1, I loaded over 5000 songs from my iTunes library onto the vehicle hard drive. Album Art is there. The only thing that doesn't work is playlists.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #11
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post

It is what we have been told over and over. Porsche has the same concerns as well.

"All Apple needs to know for CarPlay is whether a car is moving while its technology is being used.

Google, meanwhile, asks car manufacturers to enter an agreement with the data-gobbling search giant allowing it to access information including (but almost certainly not limited to) vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, and engine revs."

https://www.cultofmac.com/391234/por...vacy-policies/
So what? users should be able to determine whether or not they want to share the information. Porsche is owned by VW who is a big AA supporter across all of their brands so it's coming
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:45 AM   #12
JC-X5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Galaxy S9+ email issues

Can anyone tell me if they have had success getting the email and calendar to work with a Galaxy S9+? I have the Premium Package 2, which includes the Enhanced USB & Bluetooth. Phone integrates fine but email and calendar are a no go. The dealer tells me BMW only supports the Galaxy S8 and below.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #13
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
So what? users should be able to determine whether or not they want to share the information. Porsche is owned by VW who is a big AA supporter across all of their brands so it's coming
+1 in general, but from what I've heard the data issue is a smokescreen cooked up by BMW to justify their refusal to get on board with AA. The real reason is what it always is ... $$$. BMW has monetized CarPlay with their "CarPlay Preparation" annual fee (pretty outrageous in its own right). Google won't agree to an annual subscription fee of this size or type for Android Auto.
Appreciate 0