BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C Seats and Extreme Upper Thigh Pain

12-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Hooptie157
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

M2C Seats and Extreme Upper Thigh Pain

Hey All,

After a LONG deliberation I picked up my MC2 on the 19th (I'll be writing a review soon). I picked it up from the performance center and drove it back to alt which is about 2 hours. After the trip and for a few days later my upper thigh was killing me. When I say killing me I mean to the point where I was thinking of pulling over for a break. I resorted to positioning my foot flat on the floor and bending the knee to relieve the pressure and make the drive.

This pain is so intense that it would literally be a reason for me to sell the car. I've tried adjusting multiple ways and can't make the pain stop from coming on. Short distances are fine by anything more than like 45 min is no good.

Will these bolsters break-in? Is there anything I can do to accelerate the break in (maybe put a weight on it)? I even thought of trading the seat with an OG M2 but I have orange stitching. HELP!

Note: I'm 6'0 and 185.

Last edited by Hooptie157; 12-25-2018 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooptie157 View Post
Hey All,

After a LONG deliberation I picked up my MC2 on the 19th (I'll be writing a review soon). I pick it up from the performance center and drove it back to alt which is about 2 hours. After the trip and for a few days later my upper thigh was killing me. When I say killing me I mean to the point where I was thinking of pulling over for a break. I resorted to positioning my foot flat on the floor and bending the knee to relieve the pressure and make the drive.

This was pain is so intense that it would literally be a reason for me to sell the car. I've tried adjusting multiple ways and can't make the pain stop from coming on. Short distances are fine by anything more than like 45 min is no good.

Will these bolsters break-in? Is there anything I can do to accelerate the break in (maybe put a weight on it)? I even thought of trading the seat with an OG M2 but I have orange stitching. HELP!

Note: I'm 6'0 and 185.

Damn, dude, I'm sorry to hear that. I also get some soreness sometimes in my left leg from the very hard bolster. When that's the case, I reposition my left leg further to the right so that the bolster isn't digging into my thigh.

I've found that putting my left foot on the foot rest is sure to give me pain on long drives - it's positioned in such a way that your thigh ends up getting cut into by the bolster.

There's nothing I've found that will overcome it, but by the same token it's not so painful for me - only a very slight inconvenience. It sounds like it's a real issue for you! Sorry to hear, man!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Hooptie157
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Damn, dude, I'm sorry to hear that. I also get some soreness sometimes in my left leg from the very hard bolster. When that's the case, I reposition my left leg further to the right so that the bolster isn't digging into my thigh.

I've found that putting my left foot on the foot rest is sure to give me pain on long drives - it's positioned in such a way that your thigh ends up getting cut into by the bolster.

There's nothing I've found that will overcome it, but by the same token it's not so painful for me - only a very slight inconvenience. It sounds like it's a real issue for you! Sorry to hear, man!
Thanks man. Do you know what’s in the bolster? It feels like freaking metal. I would love to bend it down somehow. Thought?

If there is no solution I’ll look into selling or buying yet another dd
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Have you talked to a physiotherapist? An OEM seat should never make you feel that way.
Appreciate 2
Vintage380.50
      12-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Sucks you have the orange stitching, I'd have happily traded seats.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket while driving? Or maybe the side bolsters are inflated and can be deflated to reduce pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

I think you need to be seen by physiotherapist . It may be a referred pain from you low back or hip. A reasonably designed car seat should not cause such a significant pain by itself. It may be aggravating an underlying issue.
Appreciate 2
Vintage380.50
      12-25-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
Hooptie157
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket while driving? Or maybe the side bolsters are inflated and can be deflated to reduce pressure.

I do not keep my wallet in my pocket. I actually had someone in the passenger seat today and they said it hurt too.

I'll check out a physiotherapist but my e90 never hurt like this. The only other car to do this to me was a rental Camry (maybe 2017).

Last edited by Hooptie157; 12-26-2018 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
cowzrul
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW K1600 GTL  [0.00]
2018 Ford F350  [0.00]
2019 BMW X4  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
My wife’s Jaguar F-Pace bolsters did that to me. It was so bad we always took my F350 on road trips because I couldn’t sit long in her car. (So glad she traded it in for an X4) Anyway, I had an appointment with a neurosurgeon two weeks ago and he said my leg pain I was experiencing was from my back. I never would have guessed so don’t blame the seats right away. Might be something else.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 09:08 PM   #10
Hooptie157
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowzrul View Post
My wife’s Jaguar F-Pace bolsters did that to me. It was so bad we always took my F350 on road trips because I couldn’t sit long in her car. (So glad she traded it in for an X4) Anyway, I had an appointment with a neurosurgeon two weeks ago and he said my leg pain I was experiencing was from my back. I never would have guessed so don’t blame the seats right away. Might be something else.
Thanks for the post. I really need to make an appointment because I will sell this car if I can't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 10:06 PM   #11
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Sounds like an issue with another part of your body, likely hips or back.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #12
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Play with seat adjustments, particularly the tilt of the seat bottom to see if you can offload from the thigh if you angle the front down. If you have buttock pain radiating through thigh then that is more likely sciatica and you need to stretch the piriformis and readjust your position. You dont seem to be a particularly large guy so sounds like something odd is going on. Maybe BMW genius or someone at dealership can make suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #13
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I wonder if the crooked seat is contributing to this?

Or is that not a thing for this M2?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 12:55 AM   #14
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooptie157 View Post
Quote:

I do not keep my wallet in my pocket. I actually had someone in the passenger see today and they said it hurt too.

I'll check out a physiotherapist but my e90 never hurt like this. The only other car to do this to me was a rental Camry (maybe 2017).
Check the inflatable bolster position and avoid Camrys at all costs.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:08 AM   #15
Quietmind
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Several things could be going on here. As already mentioned, the piriformis muscle in your butt. In some people, the sciatic nerve passes through that muscle. It’s a common muscle to develop spasms and or inflammation. When the muscle is inflamed it pinches the sciatic nerve, resulting in pain which can radiate down the leg. Your description of pain location could also be a vascular issue. I say that because of the timing. Short drives are ok, but becomes painful with longer stints in the seat. A few things you could try: look up piriformis syndrome and look for stretching exercises that you can do. The other is ibuprofen. Take three 200mg tablets every eight hours for a couple days. That might reduce any acute inflammation and make you more comfortable. Either way, you should get checked out. I’m sorry you’re having this issue that’s taking away some of your enjoyment of your new car.
Appreciate 4
tokki203.50
nomoracin761.00
      12-26-2018, 01:30 AM   #16
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
I wonder if the crooked seat is contributing to this?

Or is that not a thing for this M2?
It is, but I think the problem is overblown. Also worth noting, most cars on the market don’t have the seat directly in line with the steering wheel. It’s not just a M2/BMW problem.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

I'm now a little paranoid if the M3/M4 seats will be comfortable for me or if I'm going to deal with similar pain issues as OP. I have not had any major back pain or thigh pain issues in any other cars I have owned or rented. But I have experienced some stiffness, soreness for longer drives ( 4-5+ hours).

I bought the M2C with no seat time and this is my first BMW. I have rode in my friends OG M2 with no seat discomfort or pain but since the seats are different, I'll have no idea until I get some driving time.

I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs.

I understand it's subjective but are the M seats comfort level dependent on one's height and weight? Is it typically more comfortable for smaller/average height/weight vs. taller/bigger folks?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #18
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderlustSeoul View Post
I'm now a little paranoid if the M3/M4 seats will be comfortable for me or if I'm going to deal with similar pain issues as OP. I have not had any major back pain or thigh pain issues in any other cars I have owned or rented. But I have experienced some stiffness, soreness for longer drives ( 4-5+ hours).

I bought the M2C with no seat time and this is my first BMW. I have rode in my friends OG M2 with no seat discomfort or pain but since the seats are different, I'll have no idea until I get some driving time.

I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs.

I understand it's subjective but are the M seats comfort level dependent on one's height and weight? Is it typically more comfortable for smaller/average height/weight vs. taller/bigger folks?
I am 6' and 180lbs. No issues whatsoever and I've only had compliments on the seats. You could go drive an M3/4 and find out.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #19
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

Quote:
I am 6' and 180lbs. No issues whatsoever and I've only had compliments on the seats. You could go drive an M3/4 and find out.
I agree I should of checked out and test drove an M3/M4 but I honestly did not think about seat comfort issues and I really don't think about it for any car unless the seats feel horrible from the start.

My M2C is already purchased and being transported. I'm crossing my fingers that I will not have the same issues as the OP or others that find the seats not very comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #20
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:

I'm 5'11" and 165 lbs.

Don't sweat it yet. I have found the seats much more comfortable than the ones in my E90 M3. I drove long stints after picking up the M2C in Chicago back in September and was very surprised how I had no issues after a 3+ hour stint (usually I climb out looking injured). I'm 6'2" and 195lbs. So I'm very pleased with the seats, and my wife likes them also (it's her car), but she does wish the bolsters would squeeze in further like our E9x cars.

The M2C seating position is excellent too; wheel can be adjusted significantly further rearward than my M3, and the shifter is closer, so I can adjust the seat for my legs and then have the steering wheel perfectly placed (pulled all of the way out toward me).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #21
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
I agree I should of checked out and test drove an M3/M4 but I honestly did not think about seat comfort issues and I really don't think about it for any car unless the seats feel horrible from the start.

My M2C is already purchased and being transported. I'm crossing my fingers that I will not have the same issues as the OP or others that find the seats not very comfortable.
You and I are about the same height, though I'm a bit lighter. You should fit just fine. I haven't had any seat discomfort from these seats. Love them.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #22
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

As someone who has had two back surgeries, try deflating the lumbar support all the way. I had to sell my old 550i several years ago because it had the 20 way comfort seats and I could not get the back flat enough. The lumbar support was too pronounced and caused it to irritate my herniation at L4/L5 and L5/S1. Wish you the best in getting this rectified.
Appreciate 0