BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #1
bmwguy2019
Rep
Drives: bmw

Dealer just got car in... can I wait til Jan to pick it up?

So I just got word that my car will be in this week, can’t believe the turn around time it’s amazing.

However I’m in a predicament, I really don’t want to be worried about turning in a car the week before a holiday on lease return 3 years from now.

The other issues are bmw car club let’s you only reddmen one rebate per calendar year so I did this past April therefore I have to wait til Jan 1 til I’m eligible for $500 rebate.

The other thing I got a 1k offer effective Jan 4th for lease of new car from BMW.

Costco program also will start back up in the new year supposedly AND on top of that the programs incentives for October November and December were horrible. So I’m thinking Jan may be a good month to hold out for.

Im really torn, as I have plenty of time on app that was submitted but they are saying they want the car gone by end of month due to year end numbers. I’m pissed that they played that card as they are supposed to be looking out for the best interests of the customer... I get it’s sales but that’s a lot of money back in MY pocket if I can hold til Jan. (They saidn I nterest rates may rise with fed so I I could be risking it)

Thoughts on how to approach this..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 10:51 PM   #2
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Did you pay a deposit to order the car? If so, you have a predetermined amount of time to take delivery of the vehicle. If not, and they really want to sell you the car, tell them exactly your reason to wait and ask them to cover the $1500 you will be losing. You have the power. Do t let them wind you up.
Appreciate 1
shoptb176.00
      12-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Hmmmm.....My deal with my CA is that my rates/incentives are locked in for December - 90 days out. So if better incentives, rates happen in January (or Feb) then I can take advantage of them. IF NOT, then I'm still eligible for the current December rates/incentives. That is total BS that they WON'T "lock you in" to make sure you can still benefit from a 1 MONTH change in incentives/rates.

ps. - where'd you get that $1K offer from BMW?
      12-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #4
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

OP is locked in, but the dealer needs to sell the car to hit numbers for this year, and they have no idea what (if any) incentives will be in play next month. On the east coast, its a 60 day lock, not a 90 day.

I would like to see where you found that costco (or other corporate incentives) were going to start back up in January. Where are you hearing that? We only know that they shut it down for the rest of this year, but I dont remember reading anything about it starting back up, or when... only that BMW was evaluating the program to bring it back in a manner that worked for them.

I saw the actual dealer side bulletin (I had a friendly insider send it to me) and there were no dates or promises on when it might come back. Did you get some inside information from somewhere that it was coming back? Would be nice for me since my car wont be here till january.

OP, they are within their rights to tell you that they want the car gone by the end of the year. If you cant take it, then its not "is it all right if I wait until January 1 to take it", its "I can not take the car till january for financial reasons. Current programming seems to run through Jan 2 so you would need to wait to see new programming on Jan 3, and if you put in your credit app in October, your lock is going to expire at the end of this year, so you will not be locked in on anything.

So you will be rolling the dice, and hoping things like loyalty (1500 currently on the X3) and interest rates dont change.

Up to you, but you can tell them you CANT take it before then because of financial reasons, and sorry, and not much they can do but nag you about it, and tell you that you could miss out on your lock, and the car could cost you more due to incentives expiring and interest rates going up.

EDIT: OP, there are a lot of legitimate reasons why someone could not take delivery this year for financial reasons. You could simply need the purchase in next year other than this year for tax purposes, and not be in town during the holidays (as one example).

Again, nothing wrong with the dealer pushing you to take delivery this year, they need to realize the sale this year, and also correctly are telling you that it could cost you more money if you put in your credit app in october. THATS the thing you need to get your head around (that it is highly likely interest rates go up, and you could lose your loyalty money if BMW doesnt extend it, etc). The lock will expire so you will be rolling the dice. Would kind of suck to wait to try to save the $500 for the BMW CCA, only to have interest rates go up to say 4.99 and the loyalty money to go away. You would totally lose out in that scenerio.

You could always re submit your credit app to lock NOW, which would be locking december (and losing whatever was locked back whenever you first applied, if it was different. Make sure you understand whats locked, what isnt, and when your lock expires.

Last edited by jjrandorin; 12-19-2018 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
bmwguy2019
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback, the credit app was run last week of November. I believe I would still have plenty of time to maintain my lock in.

Just never thought it would be in that quick they kept telling me end of dec first week of January.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Wait till January if you know you ARE going to get some savings.

Be clear with the dealer, and if it is a custom order car, it is marked as SOLD in their system, there should be no problem delaying the purchase for a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I would speak with your CA and try to figure something out, the dealer may be counting on that sale to hit their numbers.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
TXSoxFan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
I would speak with your CA and try to figure something out, the dealer may be counting on that sale to hit their numbers.
Agree with this. Best bet is to sit down and try to work something out with the dealership. Maybe they can take an additional $500 off the price to compensate you for the CCA. I am not sure about the $1000 certificate, but I would read the fine print, many times it can't be used on cars that were already on order.

As an aside, I am not sure if you are married, but you can look into having your wife sign up as a CCA associate member for the 3 year plan for $30, then she would be eligible for a rebate in 2018...but I would keep that in your pocket if that is a route you can go
Appreciate 0