E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Strut replacement question - spacer plate?

12-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Strut replacement question - spacer plate?

I replaced struts on my 2006 E90 - standard suspension.

Car has never had struts replaced.
Replaced the left side first. Just the gasket on top of the strut.
Replaced the right side and a spacer fell out from between the strut and mounting surface. It was about 1.5-2mm thick. Since it was like that from the factory - I put it back but doesn't make sense to me as to why it would be there? It would seem only thing spacer could do is change ride height.

I had measured the ride height prior to replacing struts and left was 1.5mm lower than right. Both lower than spec - 2mm right, 3.5 mm left.
If I had remembered I had measured it prior while doing swap - I would have left the spacer out.

I measured the thickness of a new strut vs an old and it was about 9.5mm thicker. I assumed ride height would initially be about 9.5mm higher. But ride height is about 14-15mm higher than before. Why would it be higher than the 9.5mm?

Regardless,
The ride height difference left-right is about 3mm difference now - I'm assuming this is because the new struts settling differently.
I was thinking I'll measure ride height after a few weeks and if still the same 1.5mm difference - consider taking the spacer out.

I could compress the wheel and use spring compressors in the car and release strut nuts, lower the wheel and get space without removing the strut - but not sure there'd be enough space to work the spacer out. Anyone ever try this?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

That plate is not so much a spacer as it is a reinforcement plate found on the xi models. Not sure why it's on your (non-awd) car. Even more baffling is that it is present on one side only. Factory assembly error, perhaps?

Have you owned the car since new and can guarantee that no work has ever been done on the front struts? Regardless, it's a piece that doesn't need to be there and is responsible for your difference in ride height side-to-side.

Should be easy enough to take it out without the use of spring compressors. Just support the wheel carrier using a floor jack, loosen the control arms bolts at the subframe, and drop the wheel carrier + strut assembly a few inches to take the plate off.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Thanks for response.
I bought the car with about 20k on odometer from original owner. He bought from local dealer and I got all the service records from dealer. Car was still under warranty so I doubt any work was done and other than dealer. The struts I replaced were BMW labeled. So I’m pretty sure nothing was done until now. I guess I’ll write it off as a mfg error....

On ride height, I replaced rubber spring seats so that would account for the extra increase in ride hieght over the increase in strut hieght.

I will remove it, though since I’ve driving 100k miles and didn’t know it was there, I guess I can wait until it is nicer weather.
Appreciate 0