E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to remove broken tire valve core?

11-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

How to remove broken tire valve core?

I was trying to replace a intermittent leaky valve core but ended up breaking the "shoulder" part of the valve core. Now my valve core is just stuck in there. How do I get it out?

I have the Slime 4 in 1 valve core tool and it has a reamer on one end. Can I just let the air out of the tire and ream the old valve core into the rim and let is sit there while I put on a new valve core?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

Read instructions for the tool and you will understand what each part does.
What you are taking about doing won't work, take it to a tire shop to replace the valve stem, no other way around it.

Stop working on your own car from now on.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      11-30-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
I was trying to replace a intermittent leaky valve core but ended up breaking the "shoulder" part of the valve core. Now my valve core is just stuck in there. How do I get it out?...Can I just let the air out of the tire and ream the old valve core into the rim and let is sit there while I put on a new valve core?
One more reasons NOT to kick the tires.

Perhaps you should (1) give more information on the vehicle in question (I'm NOT familiar with the "Bootmobile"), and (2) whether it has metal or rubber valve stems.

I've removed a lot of valve cores over the years, and never had one be difficult to remove (you DID try to turn it Counter-Clockwise as viewed from the top, right?

If yours is corroded, damaged, installed with impact wrench, etc., then as already suggested, the only sensible way to fix it is to remove the valve stem, and replace it if rubber, and if metal, try to extract the core without damaging the threads in the stem, or if not, replace the stem. The issue after all was a leaking core, or seal between the stem & core, so don't get cheesy and make more work down the road by skimping on proper repair.

If you have a compressor for air tools, you can break the bead at the valve stem only (on just one side) using a hammer & 2x4 and replace the stem yourself. Otherwise, just take the wheel to a tire shop and they can fix it without dismounting or re-balancing. If you don't take your time and do it right, or get a pro to do it, you likely will cause more problems than you fix, such as damage to wheel, Tire Pressure Sensor, if equipped, etc. (A man's gotta know his limitations ;-)

George
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17337.50