2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum N55 water pump (noisy radiator fan)

11-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

N55 water pump (noisy radiator fan)

Hi good people. My usual disclaimer - I drive a 2013 640i, but the 6 forum gets very low traffic so here I am...

Car is currently on 108k km (~61k miles I guess). Recently I have started hearing the radiator fan kick in, which I don't remember ever hearing before. Google tells me that this is the swan song of the water pump, and that it's best to replace water pump and thermostat before it leads to being stranded on the side of the road.

Thing is, it's high summer here, with some VERY hot temps recently. I am not sure if the pump is really failing, or it's just a function of the cooling system doing its thing in this heat (~32 deg. C during the day). For the record, the temp gauge is below half-way mark always.

Is there any way to read codes or do any diagnostics to see if the pump definitely needs changing?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
Car is currently on 108k km (~61k miles I guess). Recently I have started hearing the radiator fan kick in, which I don't remember ever hearing before. Google tells me that this is the swan song of the water pump, and that it's best to replace water pump and thermostat before it leads to being stranded on the side of the road.
My 2013 535xi had exactly the same symptoms at the same mileage (approx 110k kms) and the solution was indeed to replace the water pump. No issues since then.

My radiator fan kicking in was particularly noticeable in my case shortly after the car was cold-started, and the fan would kick on before I even left the driveway. This was my clue that something was amiss. My oil temperature gauge also never climbed above normal, even when the water pump was failing. My independent mechanic advised that codes were indeed present to indicate a failing water pump and I believe he also replaced the thermostat at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
Quote:
My 2013 535xi had exactly the same symptoms at the same mileage (approx 110k kms) and the solution was indeed to replace the water pump. No issues since then.

My radiator fan kicking in was particularly noticeable in my case shortly after the car was cold-started, and the fan would kick on before I even left the driveway. This was my clue that something was amiss. My oil temperature gauge also never climbed above normal, even when the water pump was failing. My independent mechanic advised that codes were indeed present to indicate a failing water pump and I believe he also replaced the thermostat at the same time.
I'm such a dumbass - I completely overlooked the fact that it's an *oil* temp gauge.

Good to know that there should be codes. I'll get this read and take it from there.

BTW, how does one get a water temp readout on our cars? I remember there was a menu on the E90 which gave this kind of info in the cluster display.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:12 PM   #4
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Is there any way to read codes or do any diagnostics to see if the pump definitely needs changing?
Short version - reading "real" codes with ISTA+ or similar will lead you to the w-pump if that is the problem without having to guess.

Good on you for noticing your car was doing something different, or sounding different. It's the right attitude to have out-of-warranty with these machines.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

Once you start hearing the fan kicking on every few minutes when the engine hasn't reached normal operating temperatures then your water pump is going out. What worst and annoying is when you're at normal temp and sitting at a stop light and the fan constantly kicking on.

What I did to help diagnose the problem was going into the hidden feature in your cluster where you sum up the last 7 digits of your vin for the number to enter into the secret screen where you could enter into the temp display screen. I drove around in the temp display until my car reached normal operating temp and until I started seeing the temperature going over normal temps.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

I checked that "secret" menu temperature readout and the coolant temp was around 93-96C right after switching the car off after a drive home. I didn't know that I can drive with it on, will try that tomorrow.

I have booked the car in with the dealer for waterpump/thermostat replacement. The thermostat is on back order (~10 days) so I hope the pump won't sh*t itself while I wait. I am hopeful as the car is not overheating yet, I just hear the fan every now and then.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #7
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep

Eventually the parts arrived, planets aligned and I had the pump and thermostat changed this week. They also changed the alternator belt which was frayed and on its way out.

My only concern is that on the day I took the car in, I noticed a very small oil leak on the garage floor. This has never happened before.

I asked the dealership to check and they reported that they couldn't find any leaks even after washing the engine, driving the car and leaving it on the lift overnight.

Can this be related to the pump expiring, or is it coincidental? Anything I should be concerned about?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:33 AM   #8
Trian
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i M-Sport

Only be concerned if it happens more than once.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
top ramen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Schwarz II 535i

The shop you took it to are they specialize in BMW? Do they know how to activate the bleed process for the electrical water pump?
Appreciate 0